• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 NCAA Women's Basketball Thread

You can count me in the Caitlin hater group. I think she’s a very good player but it’s fun to root against her at this point simply because she’s getting so much more attention than anyone else and there are a ton of great college players right now. Also she’s checking a ton of “safe” boxes- white, has a boyfriend, from a flyover state. It makes her marketable, but I’ll take Angel or a Paige or Juju.

Yep. All that makes her a good face or heel and both are good for the game.

Definitely a foul by every meaning of the word foul.

Let's go Iowa! I like SC, but I want Clark to end her career with a ring. She's been too much fun and impactful to the game to not have a ring in her legacy

The same could be said about Angel Reese, but she got her ring last year.

I had never interacted with a single uconn fan other than @HuskyDeac, but Elon found some reason to put them in my timeline this week, and good god are they insufferable. Might be the most aggrieved fan base ever. This controversial foul call is actually perfect for them because they seem to love to complain about shit more than anything.

I had never interacted with a single uconn fan other than @HuskyDeac, but Elon found some reason to put them in my timeline this week, and good god are they insufferable. Might be the most aggrieved fan base ever. This controversial foul call is actually perfect for them because they seem to love to complain about shit more than anything.

I can’t imagine having that much success and complaining that much. But I hope to have that chance.

nobody is really questioning if it’s a foul — they’re questioning the timing of the call

it’d be like calling a lane violation late in the game

You can count me in the Caitlin hater group. I think she’s a very good player but it’s fun to root against her at this point simply because she’s getting so much more attention than anyone else and there are a ton of great college players right now. Also she’s checking a ton of “safe” boxes- white, has a boyfriend, from a flyover state. It makes her marketable, but I’ll take Angel or a Paige or Juju.
crazy statement. Caitlin is much more talented than Angel Reese. Reese is a good athlete but little basketball skill. She also makes no attempt to play legitimate post defense (deny the ball, fight for positioning, etc). Also have no idea what Caitlin being straight has to do with it given that the other players you listed are also all straight. I also see way more advertisements with Reese and Flau'jae than I see for Caitlin. Could just be my experience though.

Liking Paige or Juju more is fine but they aren't better players. Funny to see all the salty WNBA players shit talk Caitlin lately bc they are jealous of her fame.

crazy statement. Caitlin is much more talented than Angel Reese. Reese is a good athlete but little basketball skill. She also makes no attempt to play legitimate post defense (deny the ball, fight for positioning, etc). Also have no idea what Caitlin being straight has to do with it given that the other players you listed are also all straight. I also see way more advertisements with Reese and Flau'jae than I see for Caitlin. Could just be my experience though.

Liking Paige or Juju more is fine but they aren't better players. Funny to see all the salty WNBA players shit talk Caitlin lately bc they are jealous of her fame.
I haven’t seen them talking shit, but I’ve seen them being honest about her game and the fact that she’s in college. Imagine being a player in the WNBA who has been as talented as Caitlin and busting your ass for years abs who will never get that kind of publicity. Caitlin’s going to be a rookie. Like I said, I’ll be rooting for her. Caitlin has way more NIL and ads than any other college player and much more than WNBA stars. Imagine being Britney Griner, Diana T, etc having to haul ass to Russia in the off-season to survive.

I wish Caitlin the best. I’m allowed to not like her in the same way I didn’t like Christian L. In the end, this is good for the game. I acknowledge she’s talented. I like Reese’s game better and I admire her resilience and class after all she’s been put through.

Also, which part of my statement is crazy? That I’m a hater? Or that she checks a lot of advertiser boxes? One is totally opinion and one is fact.

I haven’t seen them talking shit, but I’ve seen them being honest about her game and the fact that she’s in college. Imagine being a player in the WNBA who has been as talented as Caitlin and busting your ass for years abs who will never get that kind of publicity. Caitlin’s going to be a rookie. Like I said, I’ll be rooting for her. Caitlin has way more NIL and ads than any other college player and much more than WNBA stars. Imagine being Britney Griner, Diana T, etc having to haul ass to Russia in the off-season to survive.

I wish Caitlin the best. I’m allowed to not like her in the same way I didn’t like Christian L. In the end, this is good for the game. I acknowledge she’s talented. I like Reese’s game better and I admire her resilience and class after all she’s been put through.
Yeah, jealous.

Taurasi averaged 15 ppg and 4.5 apg over her career. Clark has averaged 28 and 8 over her career on worse teams against better players. So yeah, it's the old guard being upset that newer players are better and more famous than them.

Feels weird and contrarian to not like/respect Clark. Clark haters on social media are like a combination of alt-right losers who think women shouldn't play sports and jealous mega liberal lesbians. Weird to say you like Juju better so therefore you are a "hater" of Clark. Not a binary choice.

Yeah, jealous.

Taurasi averaged 15 ppg and 4.5 apg over her career. Clark has averaged 28 and 8 over her career on worse teams against better players. So yeah, it's the old guard being upset that newer players are better and more famous than them.

Feels weird and contrarian to not like/respect Clark. Clark haters on social media are like a combination of alt-right losers who think women shouldn't play sports and jealous mega liberal lesbians. Weird to say you like Juju better so therefore you are a "hater" of Clark. Not a binary choice.
I don’t like front runners. Not unusual. I see tons of people hating Angel Reese on here. I’m not asking why. And Caitlin Clark is not a better player than any of the professional all stars. She may very well be, but none of them have gotten near the attention she did, despite having much better careers to this point. Also her court storming injury was eye roll worthy.

Clark will elevate the WNBA unless they drop the ball. I bet Adam Silver will on Englebert’s ass to capitalize on this. The defending champ Aces already moved their game against the Fever (2nd game of the season) to a larger arena.

The WNBA draft is next week and training camp starts in 3 weeks. The Caitlin Clark hype train won’t stop.

I’m sure Silver will lend NBA resources toward it too. There’s probably considerable room for NBA market share growth among the Caitlin Clark fanbase. There’s a great opportunity there. The Fever will be the hot up and coming WNBA team headlined by Boston and Clark. The Pacers are one of the hot up and coming teams. I’m sure Silver would love to keep new WNBA fans once NBA season starts.

kinda surprised Clark isn't going back to school to try to end up somewhere better than Indianapolis

Clark will elevate the WNBA unless they drop the ball. I bet Adam Silver will on Englebert’s ass to capitalize on this. The defending champ Aces already moved their game against the Fever (2nd game of the season) to a larger arena.

The WNBA draft is next week and training camp starts in 3 weeks. The Caitlin Clark hype train won’t stop.

I’m sure Silver will lend NBA resources toward it too. There’s probably considerable room for NBA market share growth among the Caitlin Clark fanbase. There’s a great opportunity there. The Fever will be the hot up and coming WNBA team headlined by Boston and Clark. The Pacers are one of the hot up and coming teams. I’m sure Silver would love to keep new WNBA fans once NBA season starts.

Caitlin’s going to bring a ton of publicity and I hope she great. She’ll be fun to love and fun to hate. It’s okay to love women’s basketball and hate some players even if you think they’re good. Almost like every men’s sport…

Yeah I’m fine with people hating on Clark. Hating is part of the fun of being a sports fan.

Also I think there are a LOT of white bread middle Americans pulling for Clark because she is a safe white girl next door. So I feel a little icky pulling for her since there’s a lot of people also on her side for the wrong reasons. But she’s still fun to watch!

nobody is really questioning if it’s a foul — they’re questioning the timing of the call

it’d be like calling a lane violation late in the game
Normally agree not a call you make that late and especially if just a moving pick or a hard shoulder into the defender but she did both and really hard not to make that call when so blatant on both fronts. It helped Marshall was really trying to fight through it and is smallish so she clearly got knocked off hard which made it look worse than probably would have looked vs most sizable players.

Go Hawkeyes!

I dunno man it seems like the 37-0 gamecocks might be the real front runners here

Back