• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I don't mean to be a downer to us, but I think Wake being picked 6th is more of an indictment on where the league is right now as a whole than anything.
You’re absolutely right but the league has not been awesome for a while and we haven’t been getting picked sixth, so I’ll take it.

Last edited:
I'm just shocked we're not in the 9-12 range where we seemingly always are
Forbes and his last two seasons of relatively successful transfer swings means he's going to get the benefit of the doubt over that clump of 6-10 teams/coaches.

That’s pretty sad because I was trying to set the bar at the bare minimum for people with even a passing familiarity with the teams.
I mean, what do you want me to tell you? Other than what I've said for a while, that preseason polls are mostly worthless and only exist to determine who should win coach of the year.

I mean, what do you want me to tell you? Other than what I've said for a while, that preseason polls are mostly worthless and only exist to determine who should win coach of the year.
I believe you and it just confuses me (if you're saying people don't put a lot of thought or analysis into it, which I think was mentioned earlier). You'd think people who work in sports want to know about, discuss, study sports at least as much as the average sports board poster, and have at least as informed an opinion,. Since that opinion actually does matter with respect to polls, etc.

November 12 will be the 13th anniversary of the Stetson game.

November 12 will be the 13th anniversary of the Stetson game.

November 13th, 2010 I had a business dinner with a women who went to Stetson for law school. She was very happy to hear I had attended WF

Not aimed at Conor at all, because I've never seen him do this, but the amount of ACC media that I see complaining about late tip-off times, and how long games are taking makes me think they don't actually like their jobs at all or want to be there anyway.
It's tougher to bitch about late tip-offs when you operate in a deadline-free world, haha. Replay reviews still suck ass.

I believe you and it just confuses me (if you're saying people don't put a lot of thought or analysis into it, which I think was mentioned earlier). You'd think people who work in sports want to know about, discuss, study sports at least as much as the average sports board poster, and have at least as informed an opinion,. Since that opinion actually does matter with respect to polls, etc.
I'm not going to bury the whole industry or even the whole ACC media landscape. This probably comes off as cynical and bitter. But there was a lot more thought and analysis that could go into it when there were more jobs -- and hence, professionals -- in it. But as the industry shrinks, "do more with less" becomes the marching order and you just don't have the time to do everything you could do before.

Aside from that and germane to original point, the amount of transfers these teams have makes preseason polls more of a roulette spin than ever before. When Forbes talks about how difficult it's become filling out a "good" non-con schedule because everybody's personnel changes so much, it resonates with me about how difficult it is to make a preseason poll.

Is it difficult? It’s meaningless and there’s no accountability.

Yeah, when I go through the rosters of the ACC teams, it's difficult to project how the new pieces will fit together.

But in recent years, teams with a number of experienced transfers thrown together have done pretty well (at least relative to how well those players performed at their prior schools)... Like Pitt last year, for example.

Is Canka hurt? Not sure I've caught him fully dressed in the most recent socials, which may mean nothing and is just random, but the first bits from the Joel I thought I caught him in a long sleeve warmup type shirt rather than a jersey.

Is Canka hurt? Not sure I've caught him fully dressed in the most recent socials, which may mean nothing and is just random, but the first bits from the Joel I thought I caught him in a long sleeve warmup type shirt rather than a jersey.
Les posted about it, not sure if it’s public info or not.

It’s under “basketball tidbit” on his board

Back