• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Lebron and Bronny are setting themselves up to be the ultimate example of nepotism. Bronny needs to stay at USC to avoid the shame of taking an undeserved draft spot and roster spot.
1000%

Bronny is the 7th best player on a bad USC basketball team. Can you imagine Davien Williamson in the NBA? Well, he's a much better college basketball player than Bronny.

Lebron and Bronny are setting themselves up to be the ultimate example of nepotism. Bronny needs to stay at USC to avoid the shame of taking an undeserved draft spot and roster spot.
Counterpoint: crap pick in a crap draft. Timing may work out for him.

The word on that draft is that the top is weak but it's a deep draft with plenty of players who could have good careers.

Coming into the season, there was some talk that Sallis could play PG. We haven't seen that fully manifest. If so, he'd play more of an Alondes role. But his draft stock is higher than Alondes' was.

If you could have Alondes, Tyree, or Sallis on next years team, who you taking?

Explosiveness is such a bogus term. I’ve been impressed with how Hunter has been getting to his spots with relative ease against pretty good competition lately. It took a few ACC games to adjust but he just beats people with strength and footwork. Comparing him to Kawhi would be insanely high praise but sometimes the way he works the midrange gives me shades of Leonard’s game. He doesn’t always blow by, but he gets to where he’s going with a good look available.

It would really change our program if we could somehow keep as much of this team through NIL as possible. Maybe that’s a fantasy. Sallis looks gone to me.

Don't think we have enough NIL to get Sallis to come back

Would love if Carr and Monsanto wanted to come back with the right deal.

What’s that based on?
Not sure which part is being asked about, but Sallis is now popping up on 2024 NBA Mock Draft Boards. The others are not. So, if those reports have validity, it would cost a lot more NIL money to keep Sallis in college than the others. With NIL in over-drive, seems like the conventional wisdom is that a good power conference player can make more money in college than playing internationally. So, generally, players that are likely to get drafted leave college; those players unlikely to get drafted, but could play overseas stay in college. The unfortunate side of NIL is that other colleges can try to outbid a current player's college for him. So, even if Carr and Monsanto elect to stay, WF would need to offer them enough NIL money to keep them from transferring.

Not sure which part is being asked about, but Sallis is now popping up on 2024 NBA Mock Draft Boards. The others are not. So, if those reports have validity, it would cost a lot more NIL money to keep Sallis in college than the others. With NIL in over-drive, seems like the conventional wisdom is that a good power conference player can make more money in college than playing internationally. So, generally, players that are likely to get drafted leave college; those players unlikely to get drafted, but could play overseas stay in college. The unfortunate side of NIL is that other colleges can try to outbid a current player's college for him. So, even if Carr and Monsanto elect to stay, WF would need to offer them enough NIL money to keep them from transferring.
Thanks. I guess I meant how do we know Mit or someone doesn’t pony up to keep him one more year?

Carr and Monsanto have both already used their free transfer, so it makes staying at Wake more likely. I'd bet NIL deals would be contingent upon a waiver and the waiver process is uncertain and lengthy.

Doesn’t Bronny being a late-late 2nd round prospect or undrafted actually make it super convenient for the Lakers to pick him up without facing the nepotism backlash of reaching for him in the draft?

I thought athletes are now allowed to transfer again and play right away.

Bronny is not an NBA player. It's surprising that he's not very athletic given is genes. There are hundreds of guys every year that are just like him. But he's going to get a spot on a NBA roster. That would be hard on him I would think and Lebron is doing him no favors IMO by enticing teams to draft/sign him just so daddy will play there.

He should just play overseas until his dad owns some part of an NBA team and just work for his dad there.

The most awkward situation I've seen is Dwayne Wade's son Zaire Wade. He's just not close to NBA level and he's just now I think maybe coming to that realization if at all possible.

Doesn’t Bronny being a late-late 2nd round prospect or undrafted actually make it super convenient for the Lakers to pick him up without facing the nepotism backlash of reaching for him in the draft?

It would if they expectation for years hasn’t been Lebron joining Bronny’s team as a free agent.

It would if Bronny hadn’t been hyped up and still showing up on mocks as a 1st round pick possibly because of the possibility of Lebron.

The end of the 1st round obviously will include several teams in contention for whom it’s worth the risk to draft Bronny. The Sixers, Knicks, Bucks, and definitely the Cavs could draft Bronny before he got to the 2nd round.

That said, if he doesn’t get drafted in the 1st, I assume Klutch will tell teams not to draft him so the Lakers can take him.

Not only are rival executives increasingly convinced that James might want out, but they’re also focused on the Bronny James factor, which continues to loom large. James has been talking for years now about the dream scenario of playing with his oldest son who, if he chooses, can leave USC this summer and enter the draft. The idea, then, is that any team that wants to up its chances of landing James should make it a priority to go after Bronny first.

The Lakers, per the high-ranking team source, are also willing to explore the notion of adding Bronny James next season. This stance, the source said, is rooted in the reality that James’ happiness truly matters to the organization. They will potentially have their 2024 first-round pick (depending on if the New Orleans Pelicans, as part of the blockbuster Davis trade, choose to receive that pick or defer to 2025) and have two second-round picks that could help to that end (the Clippers’ and the less favorable of the Grizzlies’ and Wizards’ selections).

Beyond the Bronny component, though, the Lakers are also well-positioned to add the sort of elite-level talent to the roster this summer that could compel James to stay. Their ability to make something significant happen on that front could be the difference.

Carr and Monsanto have both already used their free transfer, so it makes staying at Wake more likely. I'd bet NIL deals would be contingent upon a waiver and the waiver process is uncertain and lengthy.
Does not apply if either have graduated and think both might. Also, that rule was voided by a US District Court judge in December. Unless that ruling is overturned, there is no limit on the number of times a player can transfer without a waiver.

I know it happens, but a school offering a specific NIL amount to a rostered Wake Forest would be against the rules, right?

Isn't that what teams are getting in hot water for now? It seems like just about the only thing the NCAA won't let you do at this point.

I think that's right, but if in the portal you are fair game? Thats my assumption.

Back