• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I know it happens, but a school offering a specific NIL amount to a rostered Wake Forest would be against the rules, right?

Isn't that what teams are getting in hot water for now? It seems like just about the only thing the NCAA won't let you do at this point.
Technically, yes, and realize that its women's basketball, but that's exactly what Tennessee did to get Jewel Spear to transfer from WF to TN (then, again TN is being investigated for NIL violations). Technically, colleges can't contact a player about transferring until he's/she's in the portal; at that point, it seems to become a bidding war. Clawson has cited examples of school reps contacting WF players before they entered the portal (pretty clear that happened with Hartman). Since college graduates do not need to enter the portal to transfer, schools may be free to contact a player as soon as he/she graduates, but not positive about that.

Yeah, I know schools contact when they aren't supposed to. But I thought TN was getting in trouble for making "strong ass offers" to players that weren't in the portal.

I admittedly didn't dig too deep into all of the allegations since nothing is going to happen anyway. Wild west out there right now.

And would think for a player like Carr, he'd have to be blown away to transfer away from Wake given the success he's had with Forbes. Feels like it'd come down to whether or not he could make more as a pro.

He's not good enough that someone would make a Sam Hartman no brainer kind of offer to poach him away. And I assume Wake would at least try to get close enough to keep him around for another year.

Getting way out over my skis, but I think Carr comes back.

Does not apply if either have graduated and think both might. Also, that rule was voided by a US District Court judge in December. Unless that ruling is overturned, there is no limit on the number of times a player can transfer without a waiver.
Well shucks

I believe the draft prospects of Wake players would all be helped by strong post-season play. If the players can successfully perform well in win or go home games, it could result in inclusion in the draft and/or an increase in draft position. Absent that occurance, Sallis is the only player with legit draft possibilities. Another year would allow the players to show improvement and could provide greater visibility as a part of a ranked team. The same benefits of post-season play could be available. A full season of healthy basketball play can only benefit Monsanto. A stronger Andrew Carr with improved stats could secure all conference status. Hildreth and Reid could benefit in the same manner.

If family or personal finances are a primary concern, all should consider the benefits NIL or professional play could provide. Absent those needs, another year of education and play with people you respect and like has its advantages.

Win out. We still control our own destiny
No reason any team in the top half of the ACC including Wake can't get on a 3-day run and win the ACC tournament. As long as the rest of the regular season is not a disaster, we should have a reasonable expectation to win the 1st two games and then play a somewhat unmotivated UNC or Duke for the championship.

We have to learn how to win on the road. This is crazy!

Back