• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I like this team. They’ve got fight
agreed, and while it's hard to be building character when we should be building a resume, I think we will get better. Insanely streaky on offense tonight, I guess that's how it goes when you have shooters? but we had some good looks generated by clear offensive sets. Then other times down... we didn't. We didn't roll over when we got down but I was a little disappointed how easily they were getting buckets by just pushing the pace off missed baskets or even scores. Off night for a few guys so I still feel like there's hope.

Three guys with positive +/- in both games: Carr, Hildreth, Sallis.

Three guys negative in both games: Marsh, Keller, Canka.

Add Boopie to the first group and we have 4 guys that can really play.

Marsh, Freidrichsen, Marion are up and down and playable, but effectiveness is matchup dependent.

Canka, Keller, Clark don’t appear playable now.

So we are about a guy (Bobi Klintman?, smh) short until we get Monsanto and/or Reid back. We could be really good if we get both.

Last edited:
I'm depressed rn but it's very very tough for me to see a path to an at large if we lose to Utah. Absolute must win because of the stupid fucking NCAA selection now.

Utah, Florida, Rutgers are all must wins IMO.

I’ve broken down our schedule’s big win chances and will update over the course of the year. Currently using KP, but will switch to NET around Jan 1.

@DeacsATS Feel free to copy/paste into the front post as I update if you like.

Clear quad 1: 4-5 chances
Houston (2, N) if W over Utah, Fri Nov 17
@ UNC (17), Mon Jan 22
@ Duke (12), Mon Feb 12
@UVA (23), Sat Feb 17
Duke (12), Sat Feb 24

Quad 1/2:
@ UGA (63), Fri Nov 10 - L 80-77
Utah (N) 37, Thurs Nov 16
3rd or 5th place game, Sat Nov 18
Florida (42), Wed Nov 29
Miami (36), Sat Jan 6
@FSU (77), Tue Jan 9
UVA (23), Sat Jan 13
@NC St (56), Tue Jan 16
@ Pitt (48), Wed Jan 31
@VT (59), Sat Mar 2
Clemson (46), Sat Mar 9

Quad 2/3
Rutgers (67), Wed Dec 6
VT (58), Sat Dec 30
@BC (118), Tue Jan 2
@GT (113), Tue Feb 6
NC St (56), Sat Feb 10
Pitt (48), Tue Feb 20

Current Quad 1: 0-1, 10 more chances
Current Quad 2: 0-0, 9 more chances
Quad 3/4 losses: None.

Anyone know if football season tickets holders still get some bball ticket vouchers? They certainly owe us something after this shit show season.

Reading the comments about defense this thought occurred. Forbes recruits offensive players and teaches defense. Learning defense is one thing, actually playing defense is another. For some players, the necessity of defense as a means to winning never really computes. The solution is always score more points. You can practice offense all by yourseld. All you need is a basket and a ball. Most players at a college level have spent countless hours of their life in solitary practice. Winning imagined games with great offensive play.

Practicing defense requires another person. It requires a partner intent on making you look bad, defeating you. It requires a specific behavior that functions as a part of a unit. That requires multiple players. Some players don't get this part of the game at all. Some get it but won't do it. Some get it but can only sustain it for short periods of time. It is seldom imagined as the key to winning a game. Defense is a tough sell for coaches and must be practiced relentlessly. It is seldom regarded as fun.

Maybe Forbes should recruit a couple of players that value defense and can inspire their teammates to play defense with consistent, committed effort. When you're sitting on the bench because the guy in front of you actually plays defense, the importance of D becomes clear. At least for some.

Man I really want to be excited about this team, and think they have potential, but without Reid I just don't see us doing anything notable I don't think. I don't see how we're better than Alondes/Jake year. Boopie looked great and Cam and Sallis will have their nights but only having Carr down low is so so tough. MMM is a great freshman and rebounder but it will be a while before he adds much offensively. Marsh is Marsh, he's been covered here extensively and is not the answer. I don't think Zach Keller deserves another minute in a WF uniform tbh. I'd tell him to redshirt and start the portal process yesterday. Maybe go play with Carter Whitt.

Forbes had solid defensive teams at ETSU and our defense was pretty good in Year 2 here at Wake. It sucked last year, which was largely a personnel issue that hasn't been fully rectified this season. Sallis and Hildreth should be solid on the perimeter, but we have a huge hole underneath. Reid would help that. MMM & Carr playing together could help that over time (and with certain matchups).

I think we can be a decent defensive team with the roster we have (better than last year), but it's going to require a Reid waiver to even have a chance to get to the level we'd all like to see.

Man I really want to be excited about this team, and think they have potential, but without Reid I just don't see us doing anything notable I don't think. I don't see how we're better than Alondes/Jake year. Boopie looked great and Cam and Sallis will have their nights but only having Carr down low is so so tough. MMM is a great freshman and rebounder but it will be a while before he adds much offensively. Marsh is Marsh, he's been covered here extensively and is not the answer. I don't think Zach Keller deserves another minute in a WF uniform tbh. I'd tell him to redshirt and start the portal process yesterday. Maybe go play with Carter Whitt.

We of course would all like it, but we don’t need to be better than the ManMan team to accomplish our goals this year. That team was in the low 30s at tournament time but was hampered by an atrocious schedule and the loss to BC in the ACC tourney. Plenty worse teams than that one make the tourney

One good thing I forgot to add is we are going to know very soon how much attention this team demands from us. Go to Charleston and win the damn thing we are rolling. Go 1-2? Seasons in the shitter.

Yeah, the Utah game is fucking huge.

Win and we play Houston... Which is a huge opportunity. Even if we lose that, we'd still have a 3rd game against a decent opponent. Going 2-1 with a win over Utah and somebody decent from the top half (St. John's LSU Dayton) would be a great outcome. 2-1 with a loss to Utah and wins over Towson and a decent team from the top half would be very meh. And anything less than 2-1 would suck, regardless of opponents.

Utah has moved up nearly 20 KP spots (to 35th) in 2 games by just beating the hell out of their opponents. Perhaps the cross country travel for them will benefit us because we’re going to need it.

Yeah, and Utah seemingly plays two legit 7 footers at times... That might be a problem.

Thanks! Just did that and got the Florida ones too. Hope that game will be packed. It may end up being very very important depending on how the next week goes.

Back