• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

only 1/8 teams is going 3-0, so 2-1 is a very good outcome no matter who we play. Utah does look daunting on paper....

Going 2-1 by losing to Utah and then beating Towson and a mediocre team from the top of the bracket (North Texas) would not be in any way the same as going 2-1 by beating Utah, beating Houston, and losing to St. John's (for example).

There are a few different 2-1 scenarios, but all of the good ones start with beating Utah in that first game.

KP ranks for the Charleston Classic field:

#2 Houston
#35 Utah
#65 LSU
#67 Dayton
#71 Wake Forest
#74 St. John's
#88 North Texas
#142 Towson

Beating Utah and/or Houston would be great. Not losing to anyone other than Utah and Houston also important. WF owes LSU after the last two years, and for that program's role in keeping Reid off the active roster.

The Johnnies kind of looked like shit against Michigan and LSU dropped a game already to a bad team. I think St. John's will be better at the end of the year, so maybe that's a nice win to get early on.

Outside of Houston and Utah, I'm not high on the rest of this field... Those KP ranks could be lower as the season goes on. Agree that losses to Utah & Houston are "acceptable" and others are not. But beating Utah would be phenomenal.

Going 2-1 by losing to Utah and then beating Towson and a mediocre team from the top of the bracket (North Texas) would not be in any way the same as going 2-1 by beating Utah, beating Houston, and losing to St. John's (for example).

There are a few different 2-1 scenarios, but all of the good ones start with beating Utah in that first game.
you obviously think our team is better at this point in the season than i do. my expectations are lower. i agree those are different outcomes, but i still call 2-1 a win. even if game 3 was a win against N. Tex or St Johns, its a quality win on a neutral court.

you obviously think our team is better at this point in the season than i do. my expectations are lower. i agree those are different outcomes, but i still call 2-1 a win. even if game 3 was a win against N. Tex or St Johns, its a quality win on a neutral court.

More of a hope than any real confidence.

And yeah, there are worse outcomes than going 2-1 in this tourney... But it'd be another missed opportunity for a quality win or two if those 2 wins were Towson and North Texas.

Teams with size and quality players in the post really scare me right now. Utah meets that criteria as does Florida (two very good portal additions that we wanted).

More of a hope than any real confidence.

And yeah, there are worse outcomes than going 2-1 in this tourney... But it'd be another missed opportunity for a quality win or two if those 2 wins were Towson and North Texas.
1-2 is a disaster imo.

I'd take 1-2 if the 1 win is against Utah and the losses are against Houston and somebody else decent.

I'd take 1-2 if the 1 win is against Utah and the losses are against Houston and somebody else decent.
This is likely better for our tourney chances than 2-1 with wins over Towson and North Texas.

There was a time...long, long ago when we would believe that we should win this tournament because we were one of the best teams in the tournament. Playing Utah would be a "good game" but certainly one that we would believe to our core that we would win the game, beat Houston then whoever, and take home the trophy. Ahh, the good 'ole days. Now KP thinks were the 5th best team in this tournament... To be the best you have to beat the best. That's where we are now.

Reactions: GaK
I mean Houston is a National Title contender. No shame in thinking we would lose to them on a neutral court if we can beat Utah. I get your overall point though.

Given what I saw against Georgia, I'm not optimistic about our chances this weekend. It will take ten healthy players to win three games in four days. Hildreth and Sallas seemed limited Saturday. Canka and Keller have not impressed. Clark can't get off the bench. Preseason. I thought this was a winnable tournament. The opportunity remains, but there are a lot more question marks now than preseason. If the Deacs can win two and and the question marks are answered by a thumbs up, I will be satisfied.

Given what I saw against Georgia, I'm not optimistic about our chances this weekend. It will take ten healthy players to win three games in four days. Hildreth and Sallas seemed limited Saturday. Canka and Keller have not impressed. Clark can't get off the bench. Preseason. I thought this was a winnable tournament. The opportunity remains, but there are a lot more question marks now than preseason. If the Deacs can win two and and the question marks are answered by a thumbs up, I will be satisfied.
With Houston playing in this event, it was always a long shot to claim this was a winnable tournament. They are 68-10 over the last two+ seasons.

Last edited:
If everyone was healthy and Miller, Hildreth, Sallis, Carr and Reid were starting, the chances of winning would be much better.

NCAA approves two-time transfer Daniel Batcho's waiver. Started at Arizona, got hurt; played two seasons at Texas Tech, and is now eligible for LA Tech. FWIW, Batcho is a higher rated transfer than Reid. Batcho led TT in FG% and blocks. LA Tech may be an NCAAT team with him.

Isn’t it possible he has already been told no? If that is the case, we won’t know until Forbes is forced to answer a question about it.

I'm encouraged the are already up to the L appeals. Might get to W by next week if they keep up the pace.

Back