• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

It's hard to rate Duke/UNC coaches that aren't K/Roy IMO. I mean you're gonna be able to recruit anybody you want, the schools recruit themselves. So then you're dealing with "did we maximize talent" and that's a tough question too because of how variable the game is these days with one-and-dones, NIL, transfers, etc. I think both Davis and Scheyer get a "meh" so far. Davis has underperformed pretty heavily through the regular season the last couple years but was leading the national title game after a good run two years back. Scheyer will get plenty of time, but I think he's going to need to show some February/March chops in the next couple years or he's going to be getting a lot of criticism.

Doing a 2-for-1 with UNCG in Greensboro Coliseum is a no-brainer. Here are some other 2-for-1s that make a lot of sense:

WCU - Help out JGray
Winthrop - Get Wake back into the Skip Prosser Classic
Davidson - Great road atmosphere and a short drive
HPU - Never been to a game there but even a shorter drive

Potential neutral site games:
Furman in Greenville, SC at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena (had to look up what they're calling the Bi-LO Center now)
Davidson or UNCC in Charlotte at the Spectrum Center
NC A&T at Greensboro Coliseum
How about a 2 for 1 with JMU? Not too far, and UVA is afraid to play them. :couch:

I was thinking short bus rides for the team and fans. But a home-home set up with Richmond and VCU where they play at Richmond and at VCU with a day or two in-between would be pretty cool. Extended time in a nice city with two potential Q1 wins.

I was thinking short bus rides for the team and fans. But a home-home set up with Richmond and VCU where they play at Richmond and at VCU with a day or two in-between would be pretty cool. Extended time in a nice city with two potential Q1 wins.
I was mainly seeing whether Pilch would bite, but yeah, I would like to see them playing Richmond/VCU again. VCU's newish arena downtown is a great place to watch a game. And we used to play Richmond all the time from Odom through Danny. But sadly, Forbes has discontinued that tradition and apparently does not care about my basketball viewing needs.

Oh and Clemson last year was barely top 70 Kenpom. The lost half of their closing games including every chance they had against a ranked opponent (they had 1 ranked win, Duke, for the entire year). Not at all the same as how strong the Manman/LaRavia team was and got snubbed, and definitely wasn't due primarily to OOC scheduling. That team had 4 losses on the last day of January and then fell apart. Even in this new metrics age the committee hates that.
Clemson was #63 on Selection Sunday after falling 11 spots by losing to Virginia. NC State was #56. I would argue that's veryvery close to margin of error, certainly not enough separation in and of itself to put NC State in and Clemson out.

Clemson's NC SOS was #315 so not sure how one can say it "definitely" didn't impact selection.

I was in Richmond to bring the kids to see Santa and we were staying pretty close to the VCU arena. Would be a great December road game where we could see the legendary Santa too

I was in Richmond to bring the kids to see Santa and we were staying pretty close to the VCU arena. Would be a great December road game where we could see the legendary Santa too
is it the VCU arena that is right on top of the interstate?

The drive to JMU is pretty much the same as the drive to VCU. Richmond is obviously a much better city.

Clemson was #63 on Selection Sunday after falling 11 spots by losing to Virginia. NC State was #56. I would argue that's veryvery close to margin of error, certainly not enough separation in and of itself to put NC State in and Clemson out.

Clemson's NC SOS was #315 so not sure how one can say it "definitely" didn't impact selection.
I said it was definitely not primarily due to SOS. Absolutely didn't say it had no impact on their selection. Not like NC State played some insane schedule either, their overall SOS was like 15 apart or something.

Clemson fell apart at the end of the year, beat nobody and lost every critical game. They earned their snub on the court.

I said it was definitely not primarily due to SOS. Absolutely didn't say it had no impact on their selection. Not like NC State played some insane schedule either, their overall SOS was like 15 apart or something.

Clemson fell apart at the end of the year, beat nobody and lost every critical game. They earned their snub on the court.
Seems like the 3 NC State games and the Duke game should be considered critical

The newest episode of the BOTG Pod was released this morning.
The preview:
Wake Forest's blowout wins over Delaware State and Presbyterian were just that: blowouts. But that does not mean the victories were without concerns. The Demon Deacons have consistently started slow against inferior opponents. That has also, though, allowed for opportunities to formulate game-ending runs in the blink of an eye. The Deacs have proven they can get it done in stretches. Now, entering ACC play, it's about putting it all together for 40 minutes. Plus, a discussion on the "usual suspects," the utilization of Efton Reid and Parker Friedrichsen, and a minutes squeeze on the horizon.

Listen below:

*For some reason Spotify's website isn't loading so I can't get that one in here

Thanks so much to everyone for listening and have a happy holiday!

It seems apparent that close road losses to Top 100 teams are viewed more positively than wins against Quad 3 or Quad 4 wins. I'd like to see Wake go home and home against quality opponents. Play games against the Big East, B1G, Big 12 and SEC every year. The A-10 is always a good source of Top 100 teams. Invite the MWC to show they are as capable as they claim to be. Add a tough tournament. Playing cupcakes serves no purpose.

You don't sharpen your teeth eating oatmeal.

Back