• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Many here remember that the NCAA's dumb process kept us from having a #FullSquad those games, NET does not. The #EYETEST however is WELL AWARE of that.
hopefully the committee takes that into account (but hopefully there's no doubt about our resume) because otherwise we'd just turn on the old BCS computers and have the bracket printed out dot matrix style.

The committee is definitely going to consider teams that didn't have their full strength due to transfer/injuries

Walking out of the Joel the other day after the VT win and my daughter asked me if the memorial was a cemetery. Really wish we could respectfully separate our basketball facility from the town war memorial. I have to think the families of those soldiers would enjoy a more proper place to honor them.

Really don’t know what they were thinking with that setup.

Walking out of the Joel the other day after the VT win and my daughter asked me if the memorial was a cemetery. Really wish we could respectfully separate our basketball facility from the town war memorial. I have to think the families of those soldiers would enjoy a more proper place to honor them.

lol i also asked my father this as a small child 😂

The committee is definitely going to consider teams that didn't have their full strength due to transfer/injuries
Name literally 1 example of a missing player being considered by the committee in a college teams evaluation for a tournament bid

This is in part, a carry over from the Winston-Salem War Memorial Coliseum which was built in the early 1950's, just before Wake Forest arrived in town. It honored those who fought in the recently concluded WWII and earlier wars. This was part of the big civic activities area on the edge of town that included the fair grounds.

When the city planned the replacement for the forty year old building in the eighties, carrying over the memorial aspect seemed the right thing to do. Because Winston-Salem native Lawrence Joel won the Medal of Honor, it seemed fitting to use his name as the headline name for the new Coliseum. The cuty, not Wake was the owner and operator of the new facility.

When Wake purchased the city's interest in the Joel, maintaining the memorial was a condition of the deal. Could the memorial be moved elsewhere? Sure. But I don't know of a higher profile location. Being reminded that people die in wars isn't bad, especially if it helps reduce or eliminate future wars.

While entering the LJVM for the VT game my 6 year old definitively stated to his 4 year old sisters that the memorial was in fact a cemetary for dead soldiers and to watch out for ghosts.

i think losing on the road in the 2nd game of the season to a top 100 team shouldn't be so punishing
If LSU/UGA games are the only time something like this happens, it won’t be all that punishing. But as of right now, those two games make up 15% of our games.

i think losing on the road in the 2nd game of the season to a top 100 team shouldn't be so punishing
I agree. But the NCAA does not.

If LSU/UGA games are the only time something like this happens, it won’t be all that punishing. But as of right now, those two games make up 15% of our games.
Yeah I don't think having a Q2 loss is punishing in the scheme of things. Any team on the bubble will have multiple Q2 losses.

UGA is a fringe top 100 team, and WF played like crap. There are some mitigating factors (Reid being out), and it's overcomeable, but the game counts. If won at UGA, and WF/UGA were bubble teams in March, you can bet we would be underscoring the importance of that game.

Really like this WF team, and if this team is a good as I/we think, NET isn't going to matter except for seeding. That said, the whining here about biases that don't exist in analytic ratings is lame. WF suffered bad losses to UGA and particularly to LSU. To think that those games don't matter because WF fans don't want them to matter is sour grapes.

Back