• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

UGA is a fringe top 100 team, and WF played like crap. There are some mitigating factors (Reid being out), and it's overcomeable, but the game counts. If won at UGA, and WF/UGA were bubble teams in March, you can bet we would be underscoring the importance of that game.

Really like this WF team, and if this team is a good as I/we think, NET isn't going to matter except for seeding. That said, the whining here about biases that don't exist in analytic ratings is lame. WF suffered bad losses to UGA and particularly to LSU. To think that those games don't matter because WF fans don't want them to matter is sour grapes.
UGA seems to be right around the level of BC, and while we won last night, we didn't cruise to an easy victory

You are right though - all the games count. Just my personal opinion that the UGA game isn't that bad of a loss. But my opinion doesn't really matter.

While entering the LJVM for the VT game my 6 year old definitively stated to his 4 year old sisters that the memorial was in fact a cemetary for dead soldiers and to watch out for ghosts.
I'm trying hard not to be that person. But (a) a child's opinion shouldn't be the basis for deciding whether a memorial is appropriate at the Joel. There are plenty of arenas that have memorials/statues associated with them. And (b) this sounds like a great teaching opportunity with those kids.

This team would be so stacked if we had a healthy Jao and Monsanto.

I'm really curious to see what happens with Monsanto. If he can't practice by the end of January, does Forbes shut him down?

If he can get on the court, I wonder how it changes the lineup. I guess he would mostly eat into Pfred minutes, and bits from Cam/Sallis. That would certainly be useful as we get into the end of the ACC season. Using Cam/Hunter season average, and Pfred ACC game average...

Monsanto works up to 20 MPG?
Pfred 10 (-10)
Hildreth 29 (-5)
Sallis 30 (-5)

Monsanto was 27 MPG in 16 conference games before N.C. State last season. I don't see him getting back to that number with the current roster even if he's 100% healthy, unless you want to see Pfred go down to spot minutes. But he has flashed too many good things to do that, in my opinion.

I'm trying hard not to be that person. But (a) a child's opinion shouldn't be the basis for deciding whether a memorial is appropriate at the Joel. There are plenty of arenas that have memorials/statues associated with them. And (b) this sounds like a great teaching opportunity with those kids.
it's also just kind of funny that a big brother is trying to scare his little sisters by telling them to watch out for ghosts

Walking out of the Joel the other day after the VT win and my daughter asked me if the memorial was a cemetery. Really wish we could respectfully separate our basketball facility from the town war memorial. I have to think the families of those soldiers would enjoy a more proper place to honor them.

Really don’t know what they were thinking with that setup.
personally i think we need an on campus war memorial.

Whining about a computer system having bias is stupid. Pointing out flaws and nonsensical judgments of that computer system is not.

Or maybe Iowa State is a top 10 team I guess.

UGA seems to be right around the level of BC, and while we won last night, we didn't cruise to an easy victory

You are right though - all the games count. Just my personal opinion that the UGA game isn't that bad of a loss. But my opinion doesn't really matter.
Georgia is not a bad loss, there is an outside change its a Q1 loss if Georgia outpeforms in the SEC. I don't think it ends up being worse than a Q2 loss (NET 76-135 away.)

LSU is bad, Q3 and don't see any way its not by the end of the season. There were mitigating circumstances that I hope the committee would consider. This is not the same team that played Georgia/Utah/LSU in roster construction.

One bad loss is not going to keep us out of the NCAAT if we win enough conference games.

The NET is just one of many considerations, right? We're a different team with Reid, and I have to think that will be considered.

UGA is a fringe top 100 team, and WF played like crap. There are some mitigating factors (Reid being out), and it's overcomeable, but the game counts. If won at UGA, and WF/UGA were bubble teams in March, you can bet we would be underscoring the importance of that game.

Really like this WF team, and if this team is a good as I/we think, NET isn't going to matter except for seeding. That said, the whining here about biases that don't exist in analytic ratings is lame. WF suffered bad losses to UGA and particularly to LSU. To think that those games don't matter because WF fans don't want them to matter is sour grapes.
the NCAA process prevented one of our players from playing. the NCAA's own rankings punish us as a result. it doesn't matter what the stats do that feed into the ranking.

The NET is just one of many considerations, right? We're a different team with Reid, and I have to think that will be considered.

There are enough teams who dealt with waiver issues that it won’t just be a Wake problem. The committee will need to have a policy about this.

Put me down for Monsanto also taking minutes from MMM. If Forbes can give him 5-8 minutes at the 4 in favorable matchups, that shores up the weakest part of the rotation, keeps four legitimate 3 point threats on the court for 35 minutes and makes sure that he plays with the two best playmakers in Boopie and Sallis.

I would lean toward giving Monsanto first half minutes at the 4. Then mostly play him for Cam to keep Cam fresh. Monsanto can also fill in for whoever gets into foul trouble.

We did have a noticeable dropoff when Boopie was out last night (that I think wound up evening up a bit towards the end). It was probably because Boopie was playing so well, but I think I like Cam in an off ball role much more than primary ballhandler. I assume he will dropoff from his 46% from 3, but if he's a 40% shooter then they can't sag off. When Boopie is out, I like Hunter handling for the most part with a bit of rotation b/t Parker and Cam. I think the staff likes Hunter off the ball too based on how they use him when Boopie is out.

Good opportunity to scout Miami tonight. I assume we’d prefer them to win.

While entering the LJVM for the VT game my 6 year old definitively stated to his 4 year old sisters that the memorial was in fact a cemetary for dead soldiers and to watch out for ghosts.
I member seeing Gone With the Wind at the old Carolina theater downtown (now the Stevens Center.) When we walked past the stage door my big brothers told me that's where the actors went in, but since these actors were dead they just had their coffins in there.

I have never completely rid myself of that image.

Regarding the Joel, I do get angry when people leave their drinks on top of the memorial pillars.

Good opportunity to scout Miami tonight. I assume we’d prefer them to win.
I think you can go multiple ways with who Wake would want to win this game.

As far as ACC standings go, we probably want Miami to win. That's based on an assumption that Clemson is actually the better team and will finish with more ACC wins outside of tonight than Miami.

But on the other hand, Miami losing makes it easier for Wake to establish themselves as the 4th best ACC team behind UNC/Duke/Clemson. I don't think there's a world in which only 3 ACC teams get an NCAAT bid, so Wake being the clear 4th best (or just in that first tier) would be great.

This is in part, a carry over from the Winston-Salem War Memorial Coliseum which was built in the early 1950's, just before Wake Forest arrived in town. It honored those who fought in the recently concluded WWII and earlier wars. This was part of the big civic activities area on the edge of town that included the fair grounds.

When the city planned the replacement for the forty year old building in the eighties, carrying over the memorial aspect seemed the right thing to do. Because Winston-Salem native Lawrence Joel won the Medal of Honor, it seemed fitting to use his name as the headline name for the new Coliseum. The cuty, not Wake was the owner and operator of the new facility.

When Wake purchased the city's interest in the Joel, maintaining the memorial was a condition of the deal. Could the memorial be moved elsewhere? Sure. But I don't know of a higher profile location. Being reminded that people die in wars isn't bad, especially if it helps reduce or eliminate future wars.
Not a big military enthusiast, but I have no problem with the memorial there honoring Joel and the area’s veterans. Sort of cool, I think.

I think you can go multiple ways with who Wake would want to win this game.

As far as ACC standings go, we probably want Miami to win. That's based on an assumption that Clemson is actually the better team and will finish with more ACC wins outside of tonight than Miami.

But on the other hand, Miami losing makes it easier for Wake to establish themselves as the 4th best ACC team behind UNC/Duke/Clemson. I don't think there's a world in which only 3 ACC teams get an NCAAT bid, so Wake being the clear 4th best (or just in that first tier) would be great.
did you say tiers?
:)

I think it's safe to assume Clemson is the better team and if Miami has their A game tonight maybe there is less of a chance they have their A game Saturday afternoon. So, I'll be rooting for the Canes.

I think it's safe to assume Clemson is the better team and if Miami has their A game tonight maybe there is less of a chance they have their A game Saturday afternoon. So, I'll be rooting for the Canes.
I’ll be rooting for both teams to get whooping cough.

Back