• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I must have missed something in his comments because I didn’t hear anything that suggested his return was imminent or definite.

Most likely scenario is that he is allowed solo movement drills and shooting and is doing well in those. But, no contact or team activities until the strength measurements on his leg meet the required goals. He may be close on the measurements. I have no info on that. Just reading between the lines of Forbes' statements.
Oh, there's no question he is doing well in shooting drills.

It's all the other stuff that needs to get right soon.

WF was just ranked, but ranked #1 in the nation on the week of January 19, 2009, please explain how much that ranking helped WF basketball over the following 14 years?
That Wake team lost right after and slid downhill. Those almost 15 years since included a decade of some of the worst basketball in WF history. Many voters have no memory of that Wake Forest team. A decade of terribleness will undo prior history.

Just like attaboys and oh shits. It takes more than one attaboy to cancel an oh shit. Wake put up a lot of bad seasons over the last 15 years.

Rankings are largely popularity contests and essentially meaningless.
popularity contest? Maybe. Meaningless? Nothing could be further from the truth, unfortunately. Being ranked immediately puts your scores on the crawl every time someone turns on ESPN. When you pull up ESPN online it defaults to showing top 25 scores.
You get talked about ,more on every sports show. Good grief - why am I explaining this? Being ranked makes you relevant and heightens your profile - and I don't think it can be debated that a higher profile is good.

The distance isn’t really too much of an issue. The university has shuttles running between the Joel and campus. Even then, the walk isn’t all that bad and you’re on sidewalks as long as you’re fine with cars zipping 55 next to you

When I was there in December I was surprised to learn there’s a shuttle service. Why can’t students just use that to get to games?

Gotta agree with Conor here. This team has come together very well and now that Reid is eligible, has the necessary ingredients. At this point, Monsanto would be extra fancy flowers and piping on the Wake Forest basketball cake.

You could argue that being ranked #1 in 08-09 helped buy us enough good will to make the 09-10 NCAAT. We finished behind a VT team in the ACC who beat us in mid-February and we made it into the tourney over them. I'm sure there's some SoS difference in there since I remember Greenberg being apoplectic over the snub, but being a bigger name in the sport by virtue of being very good very recently had to have helped.

popularity contest? Maybe. Meaningless? Nothing could be further from the truth, unfortunately. Being ranked immediately puts your scores on the crawl every time someone turns on ESPN. When you pull up ESPN online it defaults to showing top 25 scores.
You get talked about ,more on every sports show. Good grief - why am I explaining this? Being ranked makes you relevant and heightens your profile - and I don't think it can be debated that a higher profile is good.
SUPER LIKE.

This can't be said strongly enough. Get into the Top 25 ESPN (and Fox Sports and SEC Network and BIG Network and ACC Network and...) crawls. Profit.

this is also compounded by donks on here who prefer us not to be ranked to fly under the radar and not get too big of heads. fuck that, bring on the rankings. some fuckin' lazy dope on the selection committee who might not care for KennyPom or whatever will care what the tried and true top 25 says.

OK, the following teams were ranked over the last two seasons, don't see how its made a material difference in their program:

• VT
  • NW
  • AZ State
  • WV
  • Davidson
  • Boise State
  • Loyola (IL)
  • Murray State
  • Wyoming
  • Seton Hall
What matters is making the NCAAT. It would be nice for WF to pop into the top 25 at some point in the coming weeks, but if WF doesn't make the tournament, like the teams listed above, being ranked is at best a very temporary benefit. Also, 2014 SMU and 2004 Utah State were ranked in the final AP poll before the tournament was announced. So, even getting ranked in the final poll does not guarantee a bid.

OK, the following teams were ranked over the last two seasons, don't see how its made a material difference in their program:

• VT
  • NW
  • AZ State
  • WV
  • Davidson
  • Boise State
  • Loyola (IL)
  • Murray State
  • Wyoming
  • Seton Hall
What matters is making the NCAAT. It would be nice for WF to pop into the top 25 at some point in the coming weeks, but if WF doesn't make the tournament, like the teams listed above, being ranked is at best a very temporary benefit .
Get ranked. Stay ranked. If you are ranked top 25 in March, you are in.

• VT
  • NW
  • AZ State
  • WV
  • Davidson
  • Boise State
  • Loyola (IL)
  • Murray State
  • Wyoming
  • Seton Hall
What matters is making the NCAAT. It would be nice for WF to pop into the top 25 at some point in the coming weeks, but if WF doesn't make the tournament, like the teams listed above, being ranked is at best a very temporary benefit. Also, 2014 SMU and 2004 Utah State were ranked in the final AP poll before the tournament was announced. So, even getting ranked in the final poll does not guarantee a bid.
So in those 19 years since 2004 in which the NCAAT was held (excluding 2020) 473 of the 475 teams ranked in the final AP poll before the tourney made it in. A 99.58% hit rate seems about as good as you can do absent winning your way into an auto-bid.

It wasn't and isn't the physical distance. It is the psychological distance. The Joel is on the other side of University Parkway. There is a bunch of non-Wake businesses between campus an the Joel. There hasn't been a complete sidewalk path from campus buildings to the Joel. There is only one safe place to cross University.
Fixing these would help integrate the sports campus area and the Reynolda Campus.

Medical campus is irrelevant to this issue.
What a bunch of pussies. Real people could walk a mile in their sleep. Oh shit. Non wake businesses. I'm frightened. Stop it. It's ridiculous. Oh shit I have to cross University Parkway. You are at least 18. Mommy said look both ways.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

What a bunch of pussies. Real people could walk a mile in their sleep. Oh shit. Non wake businesses. I'm frightened. Stop it. It's ridiculous. Oh shit I have to cross University Parkway. You are at least 18. Mommy said look both ways.

how often do you stroll around university parkway, macktheknife

i was back over the holidays and shocked at how few sidewalks there are in winston proper (and how often they just kinda disappear and reappear in ways that don't entirely make sense?)

• VT
  • NW
  • AZ State
  • WV
  • Davidson
  • Boise State
  • Loyola (IL)
  • Murray State
  • Wyoming
  • Seton Hall

This is "down-with-bowl games" 2.0.

The rankings are not going to go away because some of us think they don't mean anything. Soooo, given that, would you rather:

1. Be ranked.
2. Not be ranked.

A lot of current Wake students have been pampered their entire lives. Country clubs, gated communities and such.

it's not about people being pampered. Basically nobody walks along streets where the built environment doesn't allow for it. Right now university parkway does not encourage pedestrian use so people, no matter how pampered they are, don't walk along it generally.

Back