• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I am looking for four lower level tickets for the Va Tech game on 12/30 if anyone is selling

Should have around 8 Q1 chances in ACC play. Clemson Duke UVA currently home opportunities

KP has us 10-10 in ACC play, but if you eliminate the % math and look at the individual game results, it is 12-8.

I think 12-8 is more likely. And I know it matters who you beat to get there, but I think 21-10 (13-7) would be strong enough for a bid (understanding it depends on a lot of external factors).

It's just NET, but in most cases they align pretty closely overall (TORVIK/KP/NET) by the end of the year.

KP is just rankings based on adjusted efficiencies throughout the year. NET actually has some weird ass formula that probably double counts quad wins, so that's fun.

I really hate how we bitch and moan about the NET like we're the only team that is negatively impacted because of the way the system works.

If we beat Georgia and LSU then we're probably like 50th in the NET. Gotta just win more games.
Punished by the NCAA’s system because the NCAA punished us by not making our player eligible. Cool.

Punished by the NCAA’s system because the NCAA punished us by not making our player eligible. Cool.
This is my point - we're not the only team who has/had guys missing. LSU beat us without their best transfer on a neutral court and they're a terrible P5 team. The excuses get lame and old. We simply just have to win those games.

I'm tired of not making the tournament too, but it's not the NET's fault. We just aren't winning enough games against good teams to make our resume look good.

I fully expect bitching on a message board - I get tired of it when it's about a system that is difficult to even understand, yet people are making generalizations that it's fucking us year in and year out, when it's not really doing that. If we keep scheduling like we are, and lose all our neutral court/road games against P5 teams, then we aren't going to be "rewarded" for simply playing the games.

Right now we have 2 wins over P5 teams on our home court, and a bunch of wins against sisters of the poor where we play well for roughly 25-30 minutes a night. Let's build a good ACC resume and we can go from there. I think we have a pretty good team this year - now we have to make the body of work at the end of the year reflect that. To this point, it does not.

If we beat some of the good ACC teams and avoid throwing up on ourselves against the bad ones, our NET is going to be fine.

I think our fanbase is hyper-aware of the NET because we have been close but on the wrong side of the bubble several years in a row. But in all honesty, only one of those teams was really good enough to have even a semi-legitimate case for a bid.

This team has grown on me, especially post addition of Reid. I think the talent is there to be a tournament team. They just have to play defense at a consistently higher level. The last 2/3rds of the game yesterday was a good start.

I'm sorry but there is an understandable amount of NET-hate from teams that have been particularly harmed by it, and Wake is one of those teams. The Alondes/LaRavia team won 13 conference games with a Kenpom top 40 ranking and didn't get a bid, arguably the best ACC team in history not to get an invite. And the ACC sent two teams to the Final Four that year, one of which we'd recently blown out and the other we lost by 2 on the road, plus we'd just won our only matchup against the 3rd team that got a bid. Also it wasn't just the no-bid, it was the messaging that even if we'd won another ACC game in the tourney we still definitely wouldn't have gotten in because the NET dictated there was no value in the win. 37 teams with worse Kenpom rankings made the tournament. I remember when we hit 13 ACC wins Jay Bilas saying we were a lock and all the analysts with him agreeing, so it's not like that was a "semi-legitimate" claim. That was just straight bullshit, especially when the retrospective showed we potentially slipped a few critical spots thanks to not running up the score in blowouts.

Obviously last year's team ran out of gas down the stretch and didn't deserve a bid, but at 9-6 in conference the messaging was we had to win out to have a chance because our remaining games all fell in the wrong quad buckets. Of course NC State with a worse record and Kenpom than us the previous year gets a bid despite losing 3 of their last 4. Including twice to a Clemson bubble team that didn't get a bid.

To be fair, the hate is more for how the Net and quad system is applied at the expense of common sense, of metrics over wins. Over time the NET is as decent a measure as any. But it's not like every program is getting equally screwed over the past few years and everyone should just shut up and accept the nonsense.

Back