• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Feels a little crappy to think we took a step back this week, especially when a lot of good teams lost road games also.

I’m assuming the teams they lost to got votes.

I wonder if Monsanto can be a small ball 4 for us off the bench. He’s probably the 2nd best rebounder on our squad and I’d rather him take those minutes than MMM in tight matchups.
Monsanto has missed games to injury every season. His recovery this season has been slower than anticipated. His greatest value is shooting. His rebounding at Wake is not at the level it was at ETSU. I doubt Forbes would play him at the four unless it was late game and the Deacs were way behind in a must win game. If it happened, Hildreth and/or Sallis would be required to help on the boards.

Looking at the schedule more closely, the road games are not forgiving. I think 15-5 guarantees a spot and we're at 4-1. That means going 11-4 in 7 home games and 8 road games.

Home 6-1: 5-0 at home vs. Louisville, Cuse, State, Pitt, and Tech and 1-1 vs. Duke and Clemson.

That leaves 5 wins in 8 road games. Let's say 2-0 at sub-100 Tech and ND. But we can pencil in 0-2 at UNC and Duke. So that means 3-1 at State, Pitt, UVA, and VT.

So Tuesday at State isn't MUST win, but not winning that game removes the margin for error.
So now at Pitt, Tech, UVa, ND, and VT are must-win games unless the Deacs can pull of an upset at UNC or either game vs. Duke.

So now at Pitt, Tech, UVa, ND, and VT are must-win games unless the Deacs can pull of an upset at UNC or either game vs. Duke.
And no margin of error to lose any game at home other than Duke which is a tall task. And that still probably doesn’t get us enough Q1 wins.

I know we're all pretty grouchy and all still but the Joel now has their equivalent of the student tailgate for football, which looks like some of Mit's donation went to. Guess that's one positive to come out of today?

Don't want to make another post so just gonna edit this one, but damn that was a tough loss. I'm gonna be thinking about this one until Saturday. Best we can do is just keep winning I guess. Would've been nice to have the win but if we do what we're expected to do, we're still in tournament consideration. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic but I feel like all this did was make our margin of error narrower more than screw us over massively. A win and a tournament bid being more certain would be preferable, but I guess that's just college ball. Shit happens. I'm upset about it but I'm not gonna give up on this team or Forbes yet. I think and hope we'll be okay by March barring any ugly losses. Regroup, don't get embarrassed by Louisville, and kick some tarhole ass next Monday.

Last edited:
NCSU loss, while a wasted opportunity and extraordinarily frustrating game, barely impacted the metrics.
The immediate impact on our ranking isn’t really the focus - we have to build a tournament resume and we have very few opportunities for Q1 wins. I would make the point again that our wins and losses now are just as important as the games in late February. Losing at State basically means we have to win 1 of the road games vs UVA/Duke/Carolina.

Back