• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

duke's biggest douchbag starters and coach in no particular order:
All time hall of famer douchbag coach : No surprise here, Coach K
Starting five douchbags: Center Greg Newton, guards Grayson Allen and Collins, Center/forward Laetner, Kyree Irving (when playing 3 guard offense)

kyrie barely played at duke

jj reddick and wojo have to be first ballot duke douches

Last edited:
While 4th out of 362 shows incredible home court value (sorry DR), at this point, hard to believe there are even three D1 basketball teams with greater home/road variance than WF:

Amazing that WF and Cuse are both 2-6 on the ACC road, and WF point differential in road games is -13 and Cuse's is -102... That's where the luck ranking comes into play.

Lol Wake in home games has beaten teams by more than Louisville has been losing by on the road. That's remarkable.

Also worthwhile to point out that the GT game is propping up Wake's road stats here significantly.

Realize it was long long ago in the 1980s, but if Danny Meagher isn't on all-Duke douche list, the list isn't valid. He was K's first uber-asshole.

Meagher was a no talent big with a claim to fame throwing elbows. He was Greg Newton with less talent, which 'Danny" made up for by playing extra dirty. Meagher was Canadian, so relished playing the thug hockey role... on the basketball court. He even rocked the mullet:

Dan_Meagher%2C_Duke_MBB_poster_1983-84_-_World_Class_%28cropped%29.jpg

Whole lot of modern tech in these rankings. Seems pretty simple. When we hit threes we win and we are better at that at home. Foreign backboards bother us. Fix that and we could be in the final four.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Whole lot of modern tech in these rankings. Seems pretty simple. When we hit threes we win and we are better at that at home. Foreign backboards bother us. Fix that and we could be in the final four.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
We shoot 29.9% from 3PT on the road and 42% at home, which is a remarkable difference.

We haven't made fewer than 7 threes in a game at home since November, and we've made double digit threes 6 times at home. In our last 6 road games, we haven't made more than 6 threes a single time, and the only two times we've made double digit threes on the road were the first two (UGA and BC).

the next closest ACC school is Clemson at 15 - so probably a good thing that we get them on the road

does seem a little strange though given clemson's biggest win was @ UNC

the next closest ACC school is Clemson at 15 - so probably a good thing that we get them on the road

does seem a little strange though given clemson's biggest win was @ UNC

KP’s adjustment is over the last 60 road and home conference games, so over several years.

Thinking of the home/away splits, I'd be pretty curious to see what would happen if we won the rest of the home games and lost the two away games. Would lead to a 12-8 ACC record, with 1 or 2 Q1 ACC wins and then maybe another if Florida is top 30.

We'd probably be pretty squarely on the bubble, and would need to make an ACCT run to feel any semblance of confidence about a bid. It would be pretty important at that point that the ND and VT losses didn't completely kill our metrics.

per kenpom, wake has the 4th highest home court advantage, which i think confirms 2 things:

1) donaldross is a doofus
2) the home/away split for this wake team is real and actually kind of absurd
donaldross is right, you mean. The OCA was ALWAYS about winning on the road and especially on neutral courts.

Thinking of the home/away splits, I'd be pretty curious to see what would happen if we won the rest of the home games and lost the two away games. Would lead to a 12-8 ACC record, with 1 or 2 Q1 ACC wins and then maybe another if Florida is top 30.

We'd probably be pretty squarely on the bubble, and would need to make an ACCT run to feel any semblance of confidence about a bid. It would be pretty important at that point that the ND and VT losses didn't completely kill our metrics.
a loss to Notre Dame will be very damaging to the metrics. KP has us winning by 9, so it's at least a 10-point swing.

a 5-point loss at ND would basically undo roughly half of the gain we realized from destroying Pitt

Last edited:

torvik has a function to simulate this

without adding in conference tourney results, they have wake in the last four byes (i.e. in the tournament without a play-in game)

Not completely far fetched that we could end up in a scenarios where beating Clemson by too much in the last game of the season could be actively bad, depending on how much value they put in quads versus being, say, one spot higher in the NET ratings.

They are something like 29 in NET coming in and we are blowing them out, and start scoring on ourselves at the end to try to keep the quad 1 win.

Not completely far fetched that we could end up in a scenarios where beating Clemson by too much in the last game of the season could be actively bad, depending on how much value they put in quads versus being, say, one spot higher in the NET ratings.

They are something like 29 in NET coming in and we are blowing them out, and start scoring on ourselves at the end to try to keep the quad 1 win.
Walk-ons get in at the 2nd half 8:00 media time timeout to secure the Q1 win.

kyrie barely played at duke

jj reddick and wojo have to be first ballot duke douches
you are correct. put this together before my morning coffee. Kyree would certainly qualify for post duke douche.

Back