• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Lunardi's issue is that of anchoring. Because he is required to provide real-time updates to his bracket, he doesn't have the ability to reconsider the entirety of the field based on complete information. So, where ever he places a team after a result is going to be disproportionately impacted by where he had him just prior to that result. In other words, if he re-seeded his bracket from scratch, he'd have a different outcome altogether. For example, just after our game against Duke, he had us behind Providence and Seton Hall. With literally no other results involving those three teams, a couple of hours later, he had us ahead of Providence and Seton Hall.

I pity him.

New Mexico just lost to KP 273 Air Force at home. Lunardi should be fired tonight.

C'mon, they only lost to Air Force by 1. And for a team that only has 1 win in quads 1, 2, and 3 combined, Air Force is a really good team.

And even though Wake beat Duke, Florida only beat Vandy by 13 so that turns back into a quad 2 win. So Wake still just has the one quad 1 win, New Mexico has 3. I'm thinking they're a 9 seed and Wake's ceiling is First Four...

Mountain West now at 7 bids, ACC down to 3. It all makes so much sense.

I don't follow the talking heads in bball so idk the answer, but does anyone even talk about the fact that we didn't have our team together for the first 7-8 games? It seemed to be impactful to the NCAA when FSU lost their QB so shouldn't us not having Reid be part of our narrative to make the tournament.

Does anyone know if the NET rankings use Quad victories as part of the ranking system? Or are the Quad victories just breakdowns within the system that the committee will use later on?

For example: When Florida dropped to 31, does the fact that that is no longer Q1 for Wake negatively hurt Wake’s ranking? Or is that drop to 31 pretty negligible compared to 29 or 30, at least insomuch as it affects Wake’s ranking among the grand scheme of all other games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning after - this is a lot like the BC road win or the Miami win. Felt huge in the moment, but really just another puzzle piece we need to go dancing. Notre Dame has beaten UVA and VaTech at home and almost beat NC State. Easy spot for a let down. And even if we get that one and GaTech, we probably need to split the other 2 at a minimum to avoid Dayton.

Lots of work left.

Morning after - this is a lot like the BC road win or the Miami win. Felt huge in the moment, but really just another puzzle piece we need to go dancing. Notre Dame has beaten UVA and VaTech at home and almost beat NC State. Easy spot for a let down. And even if we get that one and GaTech, we probably need to split the other 2 at a minimum to avoid Dayton.

Lots of work left.

I quite literally think that avoiding Dayton could come down to whether Florida finishes strong or not. We may get the nod for a bid at this point but the punishment for Q1 wins will be Dayton as they will need to make an example out of us publicly. They just won’t be able to deny us a bid because they can’t be by so hypocritical about their idiotic NET ratings.

This could all be avoided if we win out though.

Does anyone know if the NET rankings use Quad victories as part of the ranking system? Or are the Quad victories just breakdowns within the system that the committee will use later on?

For example: When Florida dropped to 31, does the fact that that is no longer Q1 for Wake negatively hurt Wake’s ranking? Or is that drop to 31 pretty negligible compared to 29 or 30, at least insomuch as it affects Wake’s ranking among the grand scheme of all other games?

Quads are just a shorthand notation of the schedule. They are derived from the NET, they don't affect it. They are useful for a very quick overview of a team, but some people give them way more importance than they really deserve. Also, the system is designed to be used for complete schedules, not seasons in progress, so it isn't terribly helpful to follow it day by day like everyone has decided to do

The system created proclaims this team is a Q1 team. Hard to understand that when you enter that realm, you have to defend whether or not they belong.

Back