• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Over the last four weeks Wake rates at the #7 team according to Torvik. There’s no reason this team can’t win out in the regular season and then win the first game it plays in the ACC tourney. That would have them comfortably in the 7-8 seed range I’d think with the possibility to move up even more with potential games against Duke/UNC in the semis/final.

Since 1/29 according to Torvik:

1. UConn
2. Houston
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. Duke
6. Iowa State
7. Wake Forest
8. Marquette
9. Tennessee
10. Nebraska

Over the last four weeks Wake rates at the #7 team according to Torvik. There’s no reason this team can’t win out in the regular season and then win the first game it plays in the ACC tourney. That would have them comfortably in the 7-8 seed range I’d think with the possibility to move up even more with potential games against Duke/UNC in the semis/final.

Since 1/29 according to Torvik:

1. UConn
2. Houston
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. Duke
6. Iowa State
7. Wake Forest
8. Marquette
9. Tennessee
10. Nebraska
I want the real 11 seed. That puts us in great shape. I think we would be favored over almost any 6th seed the way we are playing now.

It's obviously just his guess/projection, but:

4-0 = 6 seed
3-1 w/ loss @ ND = 7 seed
3-1 w/ loss @ VT = 7 seed
3-1 w/ loss vs GT = 7 seed
3-1 w/ loss vs Clemson = 7 seed
2-2 (beat ND & GT; lose to VT & Clemson) = 10 seed
2-2 (beat VT & Clemson; lose to ND & GT) = 8 seed
2-2 (beat ND & VT; lose to GT & Clemson) = 9 seed
1-3 = OUT (unless only win is Clemson and we're the last team in)
0-4 = OUT

There are other 2-2 permutations, but I'm not going to do them all... The answer is between 8 and 10 seed.

also a note is that the projected seeds are not resume based for Torvik as far as I recall but based on the seeds for teams with a similar statistical profile in the past

Long and short seems to be that anything less than 3-1 and we’ll likely be sweating it out come Selection Sunday (barring multiple wins in the ACC tournament).

Yeah, it's all garbage.

Good news, though... If we win out and get the auto-bid, we could get up to a #4 seed!
Is that honestly our ceiling? Would love to have a reverse 2005 where we win the ACCT and take duke’s seed.

Probably. We'd still be 25-9 with a 3rd place regular season in the ACC. Maybe that gets you a 3 seed?

Probably. We'd still be 25-9 with a 3rd place regular season in the ACC. Maybe that gets you a 3 seed?
Finish season with wins over Clemson, duke, and unc. I feel like the committee used to place (probably to a fault) such a heavy emphasis on the last few games. Gotta think our metrics would be off the charts if we did that.

Now: 18-9; 2-4 Q1, 4-5 Q2; #25 NET
Win out: 25-9; most likely 6-4 Q1, 5-5 Q2, low to mid teens NET

So yeah, #4 seems like the ceiling. Maybe #3 if some top teams falter.

Clemson is unique. It's possible that they could win out and NOT get the double bye.

So winning out for them would be 8 more wins (4 in the ACC Tourney). Torvik says they could get to the last #3 seed with that. Feels right to me. 27-8 (13-7).

Back