• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Very interesting. I wonder if we will ever find out what happened there.

Someone try to poach her? Is she worried about (in)ability to bring in enough transfer talent to keep the good players we had?
While everyone likes Gebbia, hard to think any other program was trying to poach her. There is no coaching movement right now with the academic calendar about to start.

Gebbia was hired out of the Patriot League which is in the bottom tier in D1, and it's not like WF WBB was massively successful on 2023. Maybe, the WF Athletic Department is confident that good seasons are coming, so they are buying low on the extension, but it's not like Gebbia was about to be tabbed as the successor at UCONN.

No Jewel and apparently no incoming transfers doesn’t bode well for building on a .500 season.

Seems very odd. I don't question an extension as much as I question the timing of the extension after just one decent season. My only guess is she signed an original contract that was absolute dog shit.

I've read back through some of the discussion, but have a question for those more in the know. Given the recent upgrades to the mens' facilities, and the co-benefits and hand-me-downs that the ladies team ended up with as a result, surely we're somewhere near the top, if not on par with some of the elites, when it comes to womens' basketball facilities and campus resources, right? Or is my expectation off?

Outside of great coaching that can build on success, what else would it take to elevate the program?

I've read back through some of the discussion, but have a question for those more in the know. Given the recent upgrades to the mens' facilities, and the co-benefits and hand-me-downs that the ladies team ended up with as a result, surely we're somewhere near the top, if not on par with some of the elites, when it comes to womens' basketball facilities and campus resources, right? Or is my expectation off?

Outside of great coaching that can build on success, what else would it take to elevate the program?
I would be surprised if we weren't at least at the top of the next tier below the tennessee, uconn, etc. level. However, we are close to dead last in home atmosphere. This is a tree worthy of DR barking up. The joel is insanely too large for our WBB following for now.

I would be surprised if we weren't at least at the top of the next tier below the tennessee, uconn, etc. level. However, we are close to dead last in home atmosphere. This is a tree worthy of DR barking up. The joel is insanely too large for our WBB following for now.
This is a fair point. There is a reason that even State and UNC play home women’s games at a different arena.

This is a fair point. There is a reason that even State and UNC play home women’s games at a different arena.
We just don't have the luxury of anything in between Reynolds Gym and the Joel. We've tried Reynolds Gym IIRC, and it didn't really work like it does for volleyball. Would be cool if there was a way to make the Annex work, but the economics of that arrangement would be abysmal. There's no reason to put yourself more underwater with a sport that doesn't have much revenue potential.

A shooting lab would benefit men's and women's hoops and give a significant edge for recruiting. Yes, there are a few elite women's programs, but ACC women's hoops are still truly elite with a major advantage over several other conferences. Wake women's hoops can still exploit that edge. Maybe this Truist deal can look good for women's hoops as well.
Given the success of the pitching lab for baseball this is a fantastic idea.

Given the success of the pitching lab for baseball this is a fantastic idea.
We're already doing quite a bit on advanced analytics and tracking biometrics IIRC, but I think a shooting lab might miss the mark on some of the success of the pitching lab. We have great buy-in from our Atrium partners on the lab because of the research on injury prevention with pitching. It doesn't seem to me that there is much injury related to shooting repetition. That being said, I would be surprised if we aren't already analyzing mechanics of shooting for players that need it.

We're already doing quite a bit on advanced analytics and tracking biometrics IIRC, but I think a shooting lab might miss the mark on some of the success of the pitching lab. We have great buy-in from our Atrium partners on the lab because of the research on injury prevention with pitching. It doesn't seem to me that there is much injury related to shooting repetition. That being said, I would be surprised if we aren't already analyzing mechanics of shooting for players that need it.
Sure. But calling it a "lab" makes it stand out. It could be part of a larger brand for Wake athletics.

That's only a fraction of the problem. The lower bowl is probably 10-25% capacity throughout the season, and that's being generous.
short of playing in reynolds nothing can be done about that other than winning

I never really understood why we've been so historically bad at WBB, and have thought that they should've been carried a good bit by the name that Wake men's basketball used to have associated with them throughout the 90's and 00's.

I know some of it is just commitment to the sport, but as noted here, they have pretty damn good facilities, and play in a really good conference.

My info is dated, but my understanding is that the women in the past have been offered other venues besides LJVM that would give them more of a home-court advantage but they've always wanted to play in the Joel. I guess they feel like going elsewhere would be settling, which I understand. I don't know if that is still the case today though.

My info is dated, but my understanding is that the women in the past have been offered other venues besides LJVM that would give them more of a home-court advantage but they've always wanted to play in the Joel. I guess they feel like going elsewhere would be settling, which I understand. I don't know if that is still the case today though.
That checks out. I think it's just a complicated problem to solve. Either way you are going to deal with equity issues. They play an 11am game every year where they bus in middle schoolers, and the crowd is awesome. Lower bowl is full. Which there was some way to leverage groups and schools to just give out tickets and get people in the door. I think that we have a good product, just need to get people there.

The issue with competitiveness has historically been about the gap between elite players and good players in WBB. It seems like a much bigger gulf than in MBB, especially with size. Talent has historically been very concentrated in some elite programs.

Back