• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

I think Gebbia is the right choice, but she won't build this program to upper level ACC immediately. I understnad Jewel wanting to go somewhere that she isn't lost in the shuffle of women's basketball.

No coach is going to build the WF women's program if its top players leave for better NIL deals and/or the rep of the program is that there is little NIL support of women's hoop. Realize that WF has a finite amount of NIL cash, and based upon on financial backers and fan support of the various programs, women's basketball is at WF is behind:

Football
Men's basketball
Baseball
Men's soccer
Men and Women's golf
Maybe others.

So, unless there is a women's basketball version of Mit Shah, Bob McCreary or David Couch that is willing to step up for the women's hoop program, WF women's basketball is not in a fair fight against other power conference programs. It sucks for the WF women's hoop program, but there is money to keep Donavan Greene from transferring; there just isn't the money to keep Jewel Spear from transferring. As long as that's the case, the ceiling is going to be very low for women's hoop. Want every WF sports program to succeed, but the ugly fact is that WF has to prioritize, and for now, women's hoop is not high on the priority list.

For those passionate about the women's hoop program, they need to step up if it matters that much to them.

Dr. Caryl Guth donated for the Dr. Caryl Guth Women's Basketball Clubhouse and the Caryl J. Guth Wing of the Haddock Golf House, so I guess she's the best bet.

Spear's absence leaves a lot of room for the highly regarded freshman class.

My bit of concern is that several players left the team and I don't recall seeing reports of any players brought in from the portal. All the players in the portal can't be waiting for big bags.

My bit of concern is that several players left the team and I don't recall seeing reports of any players brought in from the portal. All the players in the portal can't be waiting for big bags.
Yeah. Louisville transfer Imani Lester got mentioned a few weeks ago. She committed to K-State this week. I haven't seen any other names mentioned with Wake.

No coach is going to build the WF women's program if its top players leave for better NIL deals and/or the rep of the program is that there is little NIL support of women's hoop. Realize that WF has a finite amount of NIL cash, and based upon on financial backers and fan support of the various programs, women's basketball is at WF is behind:

Football
Men's basketball
Baseball
Men's soccer
Men and Women's golf
Maybe others.

So, unless there is a women's basketball version of Mit Shah, Bob McCreary or David Couch that is willing to step up for the women's hoop program, WF women's basketball is not in a fair fight against other power conference programs. It sucks for the WF women's hoop program, but there is money to keep Donavan Greene from transferring; there just isn't the money to keep Jewel Spear from transferring. As long as that's the case, the ceiling is going to be very low for women's hoop. Want every WF sports program to succeed, but the ugly fact is that WF has to prioritize, and for now, women's hoop is not high on the priority list.

For those passionate about the women's hoop program, they need to step up if it matters that much to them.
You might be right, but we will never find out if we don't find someone to breath any life into the program to see if it can develop some momentum.

If keeping a Jewel Spear is a high five figure thing, it isn't insurmountable.

Gebbia seems like a good coach, and I doubt she would have come here if she thought it was a lost cause.

So somewhere south of 100K could have kept her here? Tells you where WBB ranks in the grand scheme of things.
When football is around 80-85% of most P5 school’s revenue, stands to reason that is where most NIL would go to. And unless you are a UConn, UT, SC, LSU (this year), Stanford, ND, Iowa (recently), VT (recently) and maybe a few others, your women’s bball has rarely if ever made a profit.

Just now noticing that Imani Lester committed to Kansas State. That's too bad, I know the staff really wanted her and the players I talked to thought she was definitely committing. I know there were medical concerns though with her. Oh well.

I think Gebbia is the right choice, but she won't build this program to upper level ACC immediately. I understnad Jewel wanting to go somewhere that she isn't lost in the shuffle of women's basketball.
I mean I think I understand what you mean by "lost in the shuffle of womens basketball" but can you explain further?

Cause Wake Womens BB has had really amazing players come through in the last decade who have won awards and/or gone on to play professionally.

Jewel is getting paid but as important she’ll get to play in the NCAA tournament which even with her Wake would not make next year.

I mean I think I understand what you mean by "lost in the shuffle of womens basketball" but can you explain further?

Cause Wake Womens BB has had really amazing players come through in the last decade who have won awards and/or gone on to play professionally.
Jewel played with some of them. But Hoover didn't keep them for a 5th year or restock and now Gebbia has to rebuild.

WF let Hartman go with blessings. NIL money was better spent elsewhere. Not analogues to Spear going to TN

Bella was in MMM's signing day video. She's not that much shorter than MMM. Her mom says she's 6-4. With a 2008 birth year and playing on a U15 team, I assume she'll be in the 2026 recruiting class.
Every time there is an MMM update, I check his mom's Twitter for updates on his little sister Bella (6-4, 14/15 years old). She looks like a baller. She's playing for the Danish U15 national team now.

Shouldn't be difficult. Her mom is a coach and clearly excited about MMM going to Wake. Hopefully Gebbia can make elevate the program so Bella thinks she can win here.

Forbes is restocking every year, right?
Forbes is still building.
Also what Gebbia needs to do.

Until each has Wake in the top 50 -making NCAA tournaments - they are building.

In college sports, unfortunately, building blocks, sometimes important ones are pulled out of the construction before planned replacement. With the current Teansfer Portal rules, that happens much more frequently.

Forbes has shown he can use the portal to bring quality players to Wake. Gebbia and staff need to show they can do the same.

Back