• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Women's basketball at wake will continue to be mediocre at best until we get a big donor to focus solely on the sport like with mens basketball and football. Until then who cares

Women's basketball at wake will continue to be mediocre at best until we get a big donor to focus solely on the sport like with mens basketball and football. Until then who cares
I’m sorry. I just can’t get on board with this. It sounds like you are encouraging BRIBES!!!

Petersen definitely left the program a lot better than he found it. I think that Hoover did too, but it's not as obvious. She definitely left some talent for Gebbia.

Spear. But she let the talent fall off the last two years as I explained above.

Last edited:
Would guess that no one actually on staff from another school is stupid enough to contact Spear. That would be a violation, but there is no reason for the coaches to the get their hands dirty. Staffs are smart enough to make the contact through intermediaries, like Mel Tucker did with KW3.

Something like:

• The staff gets the word out to a TN women's hoop booster that the Vols would love to have Spear.
  • The booster is given the name of Spear's HS Coach, AAU Coach, maybe even a family member
  • The booster and the Speer contact have a friendly call to discuss what might be available to a player that contributes to the Vol program (completely theoretical of course), but the message is clear that nothing can be discussed for a particular player unless he/she enters the portal.
  • Word gets filtered down to the Spear.
  • Spear ... um... 'prays' on it, and whoa, guess what?
  • Spear suddenly decides to enter the portal, and within mere moments a sweet NIL money bag awaits, should Spear elect to attend the booster's college.
  • Vols staff feigns happy surprise that a player of Spear's caliber is available, and makes 'initial contact' including the invite for a visit, and the booster is an active participant during the visit
  • Transfer is completed, NIL deal is finalized with no direct link to the staff contacting a player not in the portal.

I mean, if they are able to confirm that then they should submit it to WF/the NCAA. That’s an obvious violation.
Unfortunately a lot of this is done via 3rd parties and agents. They're not dumb. It's hard to prove anything.

I saw speculation when Hayley Van Lith tweeted she was going to the portal and said "no contact" that she was being recruited. Makes sense.

Van Lith is headed to LSU. It makes sense. She looks a lot like young Kim Mulkey. They both "got that dog" in 'em.

Kim Mulkey at LA Tech

Louisville v Iowa

I saw speculation when Hayley Van Lith tweeted she was going to the portal and said "no contact" that she was being recruited. Makes sense.

Van Lith is headed to LSU. It makes sense. She looks a lot like young Kim Mulkey. They both "got that dog" in 'em.

dawg

Jewel Spear to the Vols. Hate them even more now.

So you won’t be starting the Jewel Spear appreciation thread?

Would guess that no one actually on staff from another school is stupid enough to contact Spear. That would be a violation, but there is no reason for the coaches to the get their hands dirty. Staffs are smart enough to make the contact through intermediaries, like Mel Tucker did with KW3.

Something like:

• The staff gets the word out to a TN women's hoop booster that the Vols would love to have Spear.
  • The booster is given the name of Spear's HS Coach, AAU Coach, maybe even a family member
  • The booster and the Speer contact have a friendly call to discuss what might be available to a player that contributes to the Vol program (completely theoretical of course), but the message is clear that nothing can be discussed for a particular player unless he/she enters the portal.
  • Word gets filtered down to the Spear.
  • Spear ... um... 'prays' on it, and whoa, guess what?
  • Spear suddenly decides to enter the portal, and within mere moments a sweet NIL money bag awaits, should Spear elect to attend the booster's college.
  • Vols staff feigns happy surprise that a player of Spear's caliber is available, and makes 'initial contact' including the invite for a visit, and the booster is an active participant during the visit
  • Transfer is completed, NIL deal is finalized with no direct link to the staff contacting a player not in the portal.
Even at TN, the "NIL bag" for women's basketball maybe scratches 3-4 figures. It's chick ball. Nobody cares except Ph and maybe a select group of lesbian donors. I'd love to see Wake not suck at it for once, but if it doesn't happen or our recruits get poached, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Men's hoops and gridiron is where the money and interest is at.

Even at TN, the "NIL bag" for women's basketball maybe scratches 3-4 figures. It's chick ball. Nobody cares except Ph and maybe a select group of lesbian donors. I'd love to see Wake not suck at it for once, but if it doesn't happen or our recruits get poached, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Men's hoops and gridiron is where the money and interest is at.
Seriously? Chick ball? Select group of lesbian donors? I don’t even know where to start with this.

Relax, Frances. It's ball played by women, overwhelmingly of the lesbian variety. I was making a joke. That having been said, the product of women's basketball is horrible to watch. And it's so lopsided in terms of competitiveness, that even the "good" teams just destroy regular competition, making it even more unwatchable than it already is. LSU showed by poaching Mulkey that it's clearly willing to make a modest investment to win in WBB, but that's their call. Most schools aren't going to care because it's either feast or famine. You go with the Mulkeys and maybe make a little bit of money for your program, or you cut your losses and try to lose as little money as possible.

Back