• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Big concern is that several major contributors have transferred out and found new schools. However, it does not appear that Wake has any players transferred in as yet. It's May. Time for incoming transfers.

That’s an outdated take in many ways.
This is a thread for WBB and I don't want to turn it into a thread where I'm shitting all over the sport so I'll leave it at that and for the fans of WF WBB. I do wish we'd have a good program and I wish we were able to retain the rare All-ACC caliber players that we do get, but college sports is now more than ever for the big dogs, just as many predicted when the NIL monster was unleashed. It does not bode well for a program that has been moribund to awful for as long as I've been familiar with it.

This is a thread for WBB and I don't want to turn it into a thread where I'm shitting all over the sport so I'll leave it at that and for the fans of WF WBB. I do wish we'd have a good program and I wish we were able to retain the rare All-ACC caliber players that we do get, but college sports is now more than ever for the big dogs, just as many predicted when the NIL monster was unleashed. It does not bode well for a program that has been moribund to awful for as long as I've been familiar with it.
WBB right now is more popular than it ever has been - which is great for the sport. Female athletes have a great opportunity to monetize their NIL through brand deals.

With that said, Wake's WBB program hasn't seen consistent levels of success over its history and it hasn't recieved a ton of fan support. NIL deals through collectives, like RTQ, are for the most part, right now, put together via subscribers that have earmarked their contritubion to a specfic sport and one-time donors that also have earmarked that contribution.

Further evidence that Wake is going to struggle to compete in the brave new world of college sports.

PM me when we know which Colonial school we'll be paired with as a "rival." Hoping for Bill and Mary. Williamsburg is nice in the fall.

ELC thinks he is being funny and edgy but instead he looks like a dinosaur. Laugh it up, but your views are getting further and further in the rear view mirror while the rest of the world moves forward.

Last edited:
Big concern is that several major contributors have transferred out and found new schools. However, it does not appear that Wake has any players transferred in as yet. It's May. Time for incoming transfers.

Pretty obvious our NIL money preference is men's hoops over women's.

WBB right now is more popular than it ever has been - which is great for the sport. Female athletes have a great opportunity to monetize their NIL through brand deals.

With that said, Wake's WBB program hasn't seen consistent levels of success over its history and it hasn't recieved a ton of fan support. NIL deals through collectives, like RTQ, are for the most part, right now, put together via subscribers that have earmarked their contritubion to a specfic sport and one-time donors that also have earmarked that contribution.
This is exactly right. Donors have their favorite sports and choose where they want to give their big $$$. Just look at the HUGE Lyon Family donation which went to fund both our men’s & women’s golf programs! They are from the Midwest, not grads but sent two daughters here recently and extolling the virtues of capitalism, have given tons to Wake golf. Both husband & wife are self-made multi-millionaires and are now endowing both our golf assistant coach positions.
Same can be done with women’s bball if a Wake Forest capitalist chooses that sport.

As we discussed last month, the top players are making much more in NIL than they can make in the NBA with much more exposure in the college game.

Wake women’s hoops isn’t doomed. Just three seasons ago, we had two All-ACC players and an all-freshman player. But Hoover couldn’t keep Raca went pro and Conti transferred for their COVID years. Now that all-freshman player left. We don’t have any players as good as the top four from that 2020-21 team.

But Gebbia can restock and reload. She did a good job this year. Hopefully the home win vs. Tech without Spear is a sign of things to come.

Last edited:
Further evidence that Wake is going to struggle to compete in the brave new world of college sports.

PM me when we know which Colonial school we'll be paired with as a "rival." Hoping for Bill and Mary. Williamsburg is nice in the fall.
I think that's subjective. There are a number of P5 programs that would enjoy to have the support in FB and MBB that RTQ has right now. That said, right now it's primarily backed by one-time contributors. RTQ will need WF fans to become subscribers to keep that a reaility going forward.

There are 72 OGBoards members online as of this minute. Having just half of those join RTQ can make an impact.

Plenty of schools with huge amounts of resources suck in women’s bball.

As Gebbia builds the program, this hopefully be less of an issue.

Have heard Jewel got "5, maybe 6 figures" from Tennessee.

Also, walk-on Mack Maier is grad-transferring to High Point. Hopefully she will see some minutes there.

So somewhere south of 100K could have kept her here? Tells you where WBB ranks in the grand scheme of things.

Whew that was a take from ELC. I'm not the world's biggest womens basketball fan and do agree a lot of the time it's not that fun to watch (comparatively speaking) but yikes.

Bad optics for the star QB and All-ACC women's hooper to transfer to traditional power programs to get a huge bag.

Back