• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Well the women have made a NCAAT more recently than the men
And have a much better ACCT history and overall recent history:

Since 2010-11:
WFU women's hoops: 198-230 (.463)
WFU men's hoops: 191-231 (.452)

I just don’t see a path to success with NIL for a program few care about.

I just don’t see a path to success with NIL for a program few care about.
Seems like a chicken or egg thing. If Gebbia could have kept Spear and Summiel and brought in a good transfer, the team would be pretty solid and generate more interest and more NIL to keep getting better recruits.

I firmly believe if Wake women's hoops was a consistent middle of the pack ACC team, a lot more people would care.

Seeing how Currie has brought a new mentality to WFU athletics which is we want to compete for championships it made sense for him to make a move with Jen. Jen loved Wake, so active and supportive on social media but seemed happy just trying to get on the bubble and being the last one in the WNIT. I think Currie saw her as a coach who had taken the program as far as she could.

We all love Currie and he’s the right guy for our future. Having said that the Gebbia hire was a little underwhelming from the start and it looks like unless she figures big time basketball out soon this is a big miss.

Two years ago UVA and Wake were two of the worst teams in the ACC. Yes UVA has a basketball history but their hire looks considerably better than ours.

Seems like a chicken or egg thing. If Gebbia could have kept Spear and Summiel and brought in a good transfer, the team would be pretty solid and generate more interest and more NIL to keep getting better recruits.

I firmly believe if Wake women's hoops was a consistent middle of the pack ACC team, a lot more people would care.
I’m with ya. Wake fans and alums care about a program if it is even decent. We just need to get to decent and sustain it for a couple years. I just haven’t seen much to suggest that we can do that.

Shake, the Gebbia hired looked really good when she went 17-17 in her first season. But her first full offseason was horrible.

Would be interesting to hear the behind the scenes on why they left (particularly Summiel with her boyfriend still at Wake) - team could have been frisky this year, weren’t terrible last year, etc but they were clearly unhappy. Maybe just as simple as wanting to be on a top-25 team idk but it was a bad look.

well Spear got paid by Tennessee and Summiel wanted to be on a better team for her COVID year of eligibility. And neither were recruited by the original staff or could enter the portal after Hoover's firing because it was so late.

I think Spear got $100K in NIL to start for one of the storied women's hoops programs.

Summiel's not far away. I think I saw she was at the BC men's game so long distance doesn't seem to be an issue.

well Spear got paid by Tennessee and Summiel wanted to be on a better team for her COVID year of eligibility. And neither were recruited by the original staff or could enter the portal after Hoover's firing because it was so late.
Good point - I was thinking that if they had transferred right away that would make sense but I forgot they didn’t really get the chance because the firing was so late.

Shake, the Gebbia hired looked really good when she went 17-17 in her first season. But her first full offseason was horrible.
Just curious as to why 17-17 was "really good" for Gebbia when Hoover went 16-17 in her last year (did WF lose lots of talent off the 2022 team?). Both teams went 1-1 in the women's NIT.

Just curious as to why 17-17 was "really good" for Gebbia when Hoover went 16-17 in her last year (did WF lose lots of talent off the 2022 team?). Both teams went 1-1 in the women's NIT.
Gebbia didn't have Christina Morra from the 2022 team. Morra was a solid big who was much better than Hinds and Cowles that season. Plus .500 in the first season at Wake is impressive no matter the context.

BC is 10-8 (2-3) which seems like one of the more winnable road games. We’ll see.

The announcers really tried to spin 4 starters with 4 or 5 years at Wake and no transfers as a positive.

BC with a late run for a 27-23 lead. Williams with 7 points.

Down 2 after 3 quarters. Some terrible calls have hurt WF. Cmon Ladies, find a way.

Down 43-41 after 3. Cool that WNBA ROY Aliyah Boston is at the game to support Kaia Harrison.

Nice little step back 3 by Rylie T to keep them in the game. 62-57 with 31.6 sec left.

She hit another one. Both off the in-bounds. I guess she's the designated shooter. Now it's 64-60 with 25.3 left.

BC turnover. Now it's Wake ball with 23.8 sec left.

Rylie T with a layup off the in-bounds. 8 straight for Rylie T to make it 64-62 with 20.3 sec left.

Williams made 3 FTs. Now it's 66-65 BC. BC on the line.

BC wins 68-65. Conley three for the tie rimmed out.

Credit BC for making their FTs. Wake actually did everything right extending the game in the last minute except not getting a good shot off at the end.

Last edited:
That clock was bullshit the foul was either committed with 1.6 seconds left on the floor or it was a shooting foul at .7

Good to see Rylie T get a shot in a super small lineup. Andrews rebounded but that's about it.

Down 45-33 at the half. Williams had a nice shot at the buzzer. Williams with 9 and Scruggs with 7.

Back