• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Clearly, for months, the staff knew they could hold open tryouts or ask a volleyball player to cross over when their season ended in November. No interest in trying something to fix the teams glaring issues.

The way this whole season has gone down has been weird. Feels like Gebbia and the athletic department didn't really care if WF could been slightly better than abysmal. So, rather than grab a big out of the portal or hold open tryouts, they kept their limited and small roster as was and just played out the string of games.

But what's the end game? Are we saving up money for portaling this year?

Not like we're tanking to get draft picks.

But what's the end game? Are we saving up money for portaling this year?

Not like we're tanking to get draft picks.
The only edge to not using scholarships and limiting recruiting is to save money. With the thought that in the long run, it won't matter if WF women's basketball went 9-22, instead of 5-26 (which it looks like where WF basketball is heading).

Seems like the scholarship savings would be a de minimis gain for the athletic department, but you never know where some organizations place their budget priorities. Otherwise, hard to find any rationale for leaving three scholarships open when WF women's hoop only has two non-guards on its basketball roster. You would only do that if you: a) wanted to lose (tanking); b) didn't care if you lose (to save money for a push in later years).

Last edited:
Maybe they figure they can’t be good enough to get any attention, so they’ll try the opposite: be so bad that people can’t help but notice.

Or c) save money to spend on other sports, while fielding a women’s hoop team only because you have to in order to remain D-1

Or c) save money to spend on other sports, while fielding a women’s hoop team only because you have to in order to remain D-1
I guess but is three scholarships a material savings? It’s a strange story all around that makes no sense. As someone above said it looks like they’re tanking for draft status…?

Also that’s wild about all the hoops players TCU had laying around campus!

I guess but is three scholarships a material savings? It’s a strange story all around that makes no sense. As someone above said it looks like they’re tanking for draft status…?

Also that’s wild about all the hoops players TCU had laying around campus!
I don’t know. Obviously the true cost of a scholarship is less than the $87,500 sticker price.

Pretty sure we never used the full men’s hoop allotment during Odom’s career, with the possible exception of the year he gave a scholarship to Duncan’s friend the walk-on.

Big difference between having one open ship, and having three open ships on a really bad team and signing no one from the portal. If a team is loaded, can understand saving a ship. That is the opposite of the WF women's hoop situation.

Right, yes, I’m saying WF has saved scholarships in the past, and when you do it every year for decades, it’s probably not for flexibility; you seem to be planning to invest less.

Seems dumb to me to not grad 3 grad transfers even if they turn out to be shit. Might would find a diamond in the rough from a lower rung D-1 or D-2 school. Hell i'd be cool with giving D-3 and NAIA a shot.

Well, the lack of support for the program helps explain its current state.

Well, the lack of support for the program helps explain its current state.

My history knowledge isn't extensive. But we've been lousy my entire time as a fan. At some point it seems very unlikely a successful team will move the financial needle in any appreciable way, so why try? It's the one sport we've just never competed in. Does feel like we've given up trying

Yet our coach goes on social media after each game and says we’re getting better and close to winning. Two years ago Wake and UVA were in a similar place, basically DFL. I know UVA has a far better history and tradition but we were at the same place and both made coaching changes. UVA has righted the ship in two years and is competitive, Wake has actually regressed.

On another note I’m not sure what UVA has done to piss Dawn Staley off but not offering her the job prior to SC getting her is a bigger shit show than Seth Greenberg not offering Steph Curry a ship.

I think Gebbia has an impressive resume. Shes lost a ton of talent to the portal. It may be a desert period with Curry's blessing so she can get a solid roster of her players. Time will tell....

How does the vacant scholarships jive with Title IX? I am assuming that it means we are giving men's teams 3 more scholarships than the women's teams this year. Or is it just irrelevant? Are total scholarships bundled together by gender to make sure they match up? I would hope that, for instance, men's soccer, baseball and men's golf wouldn't have to lose 1 each to satisfy the quota because the coach didn't want to fill out her basketball roster. I'm just genuinely curious how all this works, because I assume it's not as simple as 1 for 1 across the board.

I haven’t kept up with all the NIL discussions, but if women’s bball currently has zero NIL dollars, is it safe to assume that womens golf, soccer , tennis etc have zero? Could make the future difficult.

Back