• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

A weird scheduling quirk gave us almost 6 full days without any Wake basketball. The women play at Clemson tomorrow at 6 pm on ACCN.

Hadn’t turned it on. Checked the score. Don’t think I will.

This was one of the most winnable games of the season.

Well they started the half on a 10-1 run so now it's 51-35.

Can someone provide a brief summary why this team is so bad and 4-16? Injuries, coaching, personnel or all the above?

This team doesn't have much talent or size. Gotta have reliable post play and their best post player (Hinds) is out for the season. This team is Elise Williams, Kaia Harrison and a bunch of players who barely played before this season. Gebbia brought in what looked like a solid recruiting class, but the freshmen don't play much. Gebbia didn't get anybody in the portal.

As far as X's and O's, Gebbia's offense seems to get them open shots but they can't make them. Nobody on the team shoots over 35% from deep which is what opponents shoot against them. Without a strong post presence, they don't get easy baskets. Defense seems to be decent in spurts, but they can only do so much against more talented teams.

I'm starting to turn on Gebbia. It's only two years, but she hasn't shown any ability to recruit her way out of this. The talent level has dropped dramatically over the last few seasons and this isn't a program that can just absorb that hit.

This team doesn't have much talent or size. Gotta have reliable post play and their best post player (Hinds) is out for the season. This team is Elise Williams, Kaia Harrison and a bunch of players who barely played before this season. Gebbia brought in what looked like a solid recruiting class, but the freshmen don't play much. Gebbia didn't get anybody in the portal.

As far as X's and O's, Gebbia's offense seems to get them open shots but they can't make them. Nobody on the team shoots over 35% from deep which is what opponents shoot against them. Without a strong post presence, they don't get easy baskets. Defense seems to be decent in spurts, but they can only do so much against more talented teams.

I'm starting to turn on Gebbia. It's only two years, but she hasn't shown any ability to recruit her way out of this. The talent level has dropped dramatically over the last few seasons and this isn't a program that can just absorb that hit.
Thank you.

It doesn't matter how good of an x and o's coach she is if she can't get talent to remotely compete in the league. I'm worried that she has dug such a deep hole that she'll never be able to climb out of it. We'll see.

Last edited:
I agree. Doesn't seem like the women's game is deep enough with talent to turn a program around in the portal. And Wake basketball is pretty far down in the pecking order for that talent too.

Can we trade the women’s bball program for softball or women’s lacrosse? I’m convinced this program cannot be competitive. I’d rather have one that can win, even if it’s a less popular sport (although softball is VERY popular).

I had to drop off my son in columbia right near the arena where the Gamecock women were playing today and it was impossible to find a parking spot anywhere. I thought to myself, there aren't too many places in this country where a women's basketball game creates such a parking/traffic hassle. So yeah, hiring one of Dawn Staley's assistants would not be a bad idea. Also, use the freakin' transfer portal for the love of all that is holy.

Currie hired Gebbia, and then he (inexplicably) extended her after year 1. WF is not going to cut her loose for a while. At almost every school, women's basketball is a priority program. Just not the case at WF.

Got to believe there is more to the story of how the 2024 women's team built (or more accurately failed to build) a roster with only two front court players and three open scholarships, even allowing for the transfers to Tennessee and VT. Feel like a collective money saving decision was made between Gebbia and the athletic department to just tank this season, not use the portal, not use the extra ships for now; because Gebbia went along, Currie agreed to extend her with the understanding that Gebbia would be given more time to rebuild the program, knowing that this season would be a disaster.

Last edited:
Currie hired Gebbia, and then he (inexplicably) extended her after year 1.

I never could understand the rationale for this either. Was she on a one-year probation period (I'm joking)? But just seemed a little odd.

TCU women's hoops held open tryouts after suffering several injuries.
From such situations come the very thing we love most about sports: the art of the possible. Last week, TCU forfeited games against Kansas State and Iowa State as Campbell came up with a plan to replenish his roster. Because overstocked powerhouse teams like South Carolina and LSU were not about to loan TCU some reinforcements, Campbell sent out a campus-wide invite for walk-on players to try out for the women’s basketball team.
Would Randi Smart loan any volleyball players to Gebbia? The volleyball team has way more 6-footers than the basketball team.
Against UCF, Campbell used only one of his new walk-ons, Sylvester, who only saw the floor for a minute. But she got the loudest ovation of the game when she stepped onto the floor. “It’s just kind of an unreal feeling,” Sylvester said. “You never expect those type of things—when a whole arena erupts for you. I’m so grateful for that. It’s a special moment for me to hold on to for the rest of my career and life.”

Sylvester said she thought she had given up basketball for good when she made the decision to focus on volleyball. But when the tryout invitation popped up on her phone last week, her volleyball teammates encouraged her to give it a try.

“It started out as kind of a joke,” she said. But when she floated the idea to TCU volleyball coach Jason Williams, he didn’t discourage her from going for it. He even accompanied her to the tryout. “It’s been a little tricky getting back into the flow of things,” Sylvester said, “but everyone’s super supportive. It’s really an exciting opportunity. Any opportunity I have to help any other team I’d take in a heartbeat. Basketball is super special to me.” As guard Emma-Nnopu said: “It just shows how much of a community it is, that everyone wants to support and help each other.”
I'm curious if Wake has any state champions lady hoopers just hanging out around campus.
Incredibly, he found players with impressive basketball credentials. Sylvester earned back-to-back All-Catholic league honors as a junior and senior at Marian High School in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. Piper Davis was a starting point guard on a 5A state champion high school team in Boise, Idaho. Guard Ella Hamlin scored more than 1,500 points during a four-year varsity career at Granbury High, about forty miles southwest of Fort Worth, and Mekhayia Moore starred on a state championship team at Brownsboro High, in East Texas.

Back