• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

I haven’t kept up with all the NIL discussions, but if women’s bball currently has zero NIL dollars, is it safe to assume that womens golf, soccer , tennis etc have zero? Could make the future difficult.
I would not assume that women’s golf and women’s soccer have zero.

Women's golf, soccer, and tennis have had some success.

Looks we’d be non-competitive in the big south at this point and there ain’t no way a bunch of NIL is floating around there. Maybe I’m wrong but if it was important to keep Summiel and spear and it was only about the $$ they could have figured it out. It clearly wasn’t only about the $$

Women’s golf has plenty of NIL…program is well invested in

Just putting into the universe that our one women’s sport that is typically majority women of color is the one that we have never invested in and that gets zero NIL. And some people want to just scrap it. I feel like we really need to do better here.

Just putting into the universe that our one women’s sport that is typically majority women of color is the one that we have never invested in and that gets zero NIL. And some people want to just scrap it. I feel like we really need to do better here.
It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It has more to do with no one caring about women's basketball because the game is unwatchable unless your USC/UCONN/LSU.

It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It has more to do with no one caring about women's basketball because the game is unwatchable unless your USC/UCONN/LSU.
Ouch. Horrible take and multiple counts. First of all, college basketball is barely watchable anyway. The format of the women's game is more watchable than the men's. Second, the top programs are better BECAUSE their fans care enough for their athletic departments to invest in the product. UConn was an early believer in women's hoops. SC and LSU went out and got top coaches.

I strongly disagree on both counts, but obv opinions vary.
Ouch. Horrible take and multiple counts. First of all, college basketball is barely watchable anyway. The format of the women's game is more watchable than the men's. Second, the top programs are better BECAUSE their fans care enough for their athletic departments to invest in the product. UConn was an early believer in women's hoops. SC and LSU went out and got top coaches.
Would yall like to go to a game with me and count how many lay ups are missed or how many threes are air balled?

I'm not going to touch the second part of that assertion, but, what is the basis of your thinking that the lack of investment has something to do with race?
For lack of better terminology, I think it’s a bad look that the one team usually dominated by Black women, a group that on the whole society has invested less in than basically any other historically, is also the team that Wake has never invested in. Also, it’s a fact that Black women make 63 cents for every dollar a white man makes and they make 21 percent less than white women. They also hold very little wealth in comparison to most other ethnic and racial groups. Therefore it makes sense that there isn’t a large pool of alums or parents of students and alums pouring money into a private plane, etc like has happened for some of our other women’s teams. So basically, my basis is systemic racism in our society. And I think Wake should address that and do better by those student athletes.

LSU loses again tonight... their chemistry sucks this year and they are getting hammered in the second half of the games because Mulkey barely plays her bench and Reese is out of shape.

Awakegirl I’m not sure I understand the question. I think the university has invested heavily in Women’s basketball…top 3 women’s facilities in the ACC, full allotment of scholarship, good recruiting budget and fired a former Deac AA and went out and got a new coach. There’s nothing Wake is doing here that’s cheap or racist.

Now NIL isn’t Wake Forest support its individuals and collectives who most are either waiting for the women to show a pulse and a plan before they invest. These same investors likely put money in football and basketball which are over 50% African America.

i agree w you 90% of the time but you’ve lost me on this one.

Awakegirl I’m not sure I understand the question. I think the university has invested heavily in Women’s basketball…top 3 women’s facilities in the ACC, full allotment of scholarship, good recruiting budget and fired a former Deac AA and went out and got a new coach. There’s nothing Wake is doing here that’s cheap or racist.

Now NIL isn’t Wake Forest support its individuals and collectives who most are either waiting for the women to show a pulse and a plan before they invest. These same investors likely put money in football and basketball which are over 50% African America.

i agree w you 90% of the time but you’ve lost me on this one.
I don’t think Wake has made a serious investment in WBB (although I think were trying harder). We kept Coach Curtis, God rest her soul, for years beyond when she should have stayed and same with Petersen. We don’t have many other programs where we’d keep a coach for 7 and 8 years without a winning record in ACC play and usually without even being competitive in our league. I actually thought we were turning a corner with Hoover and I applaud Wake for being proactive even if Gebbia seems like a bust. That said, we haven’t paid the WBB coaches particularly well. Jen Hoover was the 77th highest paid coach per USA Today in 2022 and that’s after the most successful year WBB ever had. Our facilities are awesome but they’re ill suited for the very small crowd that shows up. I’ll give credit to Wake for better promotion of WBB on so idk media post-Wellman.

Anyway, I think there’s a strong argument we’ve underinvested in WBB at Wake because we’ve had other priorities. My point re: the “bad look” was that it shouldn’t be lost on anyone that they are the one team that’s often majority WOC and so I’m not shocked that they’re also receiving zero in NIL (see systemic racism above) and that as a fanbase, I don’t think the answer is to shut down the program but to invest in it.

We seem to be getting a bit carried away on this topic. IMO it's way too early to conclude that Gebbia isn't up to the job after 1.5 seasons. The roster concerns are legit but let's be patient. Wake women's hoops is probably the toughest coaching job in any sport in the ACC.

I understand the perspectives on the race angle, but Wake hired the first black FB coach in the ACC, hired the first black women's BB coach in the ACC, hired the first black asst AD in the ACC, and has been very forthright about the school's historical role in the slave economy. No need to start unjustifiably accusing Wake of racism.

The women's hoops teams has been down for so many years that I'm not sure even a massive infusion of NIL dollars would move the needle right away. If anybody can figure this out, it's Currie. He made a bold move by showing Hoover the door so he's clearly focused on improving the program.

We seem to be getting a bit carried away on this topic. IMO it's way too early to conclude that Gebbia isn't up to the job after 1.5 seasons. The roster concerns are legit but let's be patient. Wake women's hoops is probably the toughest coaching job in any sport in the ACC.

I understand the perspectives on the race angle, but Wake hired the first black FB coach in the ACC, hired the first black women's BB coach in the ACC, hired the first black asst AD in the ACC, and has been very forthright about the school's historical role in the slave economy. No need to start unjustifiably accusing Wake of racism.

The women's hoops teams has been down for so many years that I'm not sure even a massive infusion of NIL dollars would move the needle right away. If anybody can figure this out, it's Currie. He made a bold move by showing Hoover the door so he's clearly focused on improving the program.
I want to be clear that I don’t disagree with you at all and I’m not making the argument that the AD has been overtly racist or anything like that. If you’re saying that I shouldn’t say that structural racism plays a role at Wake and everywhere in society- then we fundamentally disagree.

Im saying that it’s okay to say- hey, let’s be conscious about how race and gender play into needs and support. To that end, I’m not in favor of giving up on WBB. I think it needs significant investment and that these student athletes deserve that support. I happen to know that URI women’s basketball gets NIL. This signals to me that we could be doing a lot better.

Last edited:
Not arguing but what format is more watchable? Because they have a break at 10 minutes and call it a new quarter?

I want to be clear that I don’t disagree with you at all and I’m not making the argument that the AD has been overtly racist or anything like that. If you’re saying that I shouldn’t say that structural racism plays a role at Wake and everywhere in society- then we fundamentally disagree.

Im saying that it’s okay to say- hey, let’s be conscious about how race and gender play into needs and support. To that end, I’m not in favor of giving up on WBB. I think it needs significant investment and that these student athletes deserve that support. I happen to know that URI women’s basketball gets NIL. This signals to me that we could be doing a lot better.
I think we have invested significantly in women's basketball over the years. Could we have done more - I'm sure. But we have quite a few programs and resources and focus have to be allocated. There aren't that many women's sports where we have been that successful - the ones where we have there are unique forces at work. We have the tradition behind golf and the competition was limited when we were so successful at field hockey. What else? Tennis, I guess - a country club sport that fits our demographics... VB is another women's sport where we have historically been terrible - I think we are trying there as well, but just haven't figured it out.
More importantly, I think it is divisive and hurtful to automatically assume racism is the reason for the perceived lack of focus on WBB when there are many other reasons that would be just as justifiable as an explanation.

Back