• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Also for perspective, WF is nearly 70% white. Vandy is about 50%, Northwestern about 40%, Stanford is less than 30%, and duke is about 41%. That's pretty significant, and it's really extreme with one of the smallest populations in D1 sports.

This matters. It's always mattered, and the USNWR ranking change continues to elevate that. Wake Forest is closer to an HWCU than the median school in the country. Lack of diversity hurts the experience for students at Wake Forest, and it's a problem that is difficult to solve since it's tough to recruit a diverse population when you don't have a diverse population for them to assimilate into.
Vandy 50% non-white? Unless things have changed a lot in the past 10 years, I call BS on that stat.

According to Vandy's website it's 10% black.
Northwestern is 14% black
Duke is 7% black
Stanford is 8% black
Wake Forest is 8% black

WF has far fewer Asian and Hispanic students than the schools referenced above. I guess the point is that hurts women's basketball recruiting. Seems like a stretch.

Vandy 50% non-white? Unless things have changed a lot in the past 10 years, I call BS on that stat.
I'm going to agree with that. Toured Vandy last year with my daughter and it ain't exactly a Black Panthers rally.

According to Vandy's website it's 10% black.
Northwestern is 14% black
Duke is 7% black
Stanford is 8% black
Wake Forest is 8% black

WF has far fewer Asian and Hispanic students than the schools referenced above. I guess the point is that hurts women's basketball recruiting. Seems like a stretch.
Well, the Asians have to go somewhere when the Ivy's reject them.

It's also worth noting that WF has to put their limited resources in the programs that have the most impact. While I'd love for us to have a solid WBB program, the fact is that not one single WBB in the country operates in the black. Not SC, UConn, LSU, Tenn....none of them. They're all losing money.

It's also worth noting that WF has to put their limited resources in the programs that have the most impact. While I'd love for us to have a solid WBB program, the fact is that not one single WBB in the country operates in the black. Not SC, UConn, LSU, Tenn....none of them. They're all losing money.

Wow. Can't say that I'm shocked but that is one damning fact regarding the sport. And the problem I see with it is that sports programming is becoming much more fragmented and specialized via streaming and subscriptions. So, the ability to attract the casual fan who just so-happens upon a game while "flipping the dial" is probably a thing of the past.

Many of them are certainly bringing in revenue, not to mention the indirect revenue due to exposure for the school.

UConn: 8.5m
U of S Car: 9.5m
Vandy; 7.9m
TCU: 7.1m
Baylor: 6.3m
UCLA: 5.6m

Many more listed.

I would be curious to know our WBB investment compared to Tennis, Soccer, and FH. Obviously the long tenured success of Da Luz and Averill will skew those numbers, but I would argue that WBB is and certainly will be more strategically valuable to Wake Forest than FH and Tennis for sure, and probably Soccer long term.

I see this as a fan who wants to see us be good at everything.

The key path for any Wake Forest success is the alignment of a couple big donors behind a program. Soccer might be the only truly crowd sourced success story in WF history. WBB clearly doesn’t have that.

Golf (both programs benefited) - Palmer
MBB - Shah, Sutton, Miller
FB - McCreary
Baseball - Couch
Tennis - Flow (indirectly), and player parents

It’s really naive to expect any of our programs to be revenue positive at a high level.

Many of them are certainly bringing in revenue, not to mention the indirect revenue due to exposure for the school.

UConn: 8.5m
U of S Car: 9.5m
Vandy; 7.9m
TCU: 7.1m
Baylor: 6.3m
UCLA: 5.6m

Many more listed.

Revenue is just one part of the equation. Operating costs for athletic programs can be significant.

Revenue is just one part of the equation. Operating costs for athletic programs can be significant.
I certainly understand that. Was just pointing out that some of them are really bringing in significant money.

And still losing money....

Lots of it...
I wonder where the info that all programs are in the red came from. Looking at these numbers, which just examine public school teams who made the 2023 NCAA tourney, it would appear that several WBB programs who made the NCAAs last year are operating in the black or almost:

At quick glance: Illinois appears to basically break even, Middle Tennessee breaks even, Cleveland State basically breaks even, Southern Utah close to breaking even, Chattanooga breaks even, Norfolk State breaks even. That’s 6 out of 56. I wonder what football looks like on the whole.

Just to be clear - it's my understanding (at least a few years ago), that literally every sport across the board loses money except football. Of course there are exceptions for certain schools (Duke/UConn basketball).

Just to be clear - it's my understanding (at least a few years ago), that literally every sport across the board loses money except football. Of course there are exceptions for certain schools (Duke/UConn basketball).

That would explain Forbes' comment that "football ruined the conferences.... it wasn't the bball coaches that did so."

Down 31-28 to Miami at the half. Hit some big shots in the 2nd.

Is today the day? Only down 2 to georgia tech starting the fourth quarter.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

Back