• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

We almost made the playoffs last year and won 7 games and the same was true about our roster on offense then except maybe Moore, depending on the team. This team has just regressed.
This roster hasn't changed much over the last season plus. They won one game with Rhule, six games with Wilks, and one game with Reich. Coaching may just be the issue.

This roster hasn't changed much over the last season plus. They won one game with Rhule, six games with Wilks, and one game with Reich. Coaching may just be the issue.
Definitely agree with this.

I think it's also reasonable though to conclude that the Panthers overperformed their underlying talent during that stretch with Wilks. Not to say Wilks did a bad job, but I think we've seen enough to know that these simply aren't good football players regardless of who is coaching.

That's certainly a conclusion. I'll counter by saying we know Wilks isn't a special coach, so it's possible the talent is there to be at least a .500 team and coaches just aren't scheming and motivating them to get the most out of their talent. They're scheming Chinn off the field. It's possible the defense could be much better with him and a healthy Shaq and Horn.

The offense lacks talent and Wilks had the benefit of some CMC and all 12 games with DJ. That will be a problem regardless. But every year there are legit WR1/2 and TE selected on Day 2. Pick the right guys in those spots. Get a playable OL and WR on Day 3 and the offense is on its way.

Last edited:
That's certainly a conclusion. I'll counter by saying we know Wilks isn't a special coach, so it's possible the talent is there and coaches just aren't scheming and motivating them to get the most out of their talent.
I’ll admit I’m also coming at this discussion with the belief that the difference between the best coach and the worst coach in the NFL is not large enough to go from the worst record in the league to the playoffs. Talent is more important towards winning than coaching is. Look at what the Patriots have been the past few years with the same coach but a less talented roster.

I can’t remember where I saw the article/interview but it said that Ruhle wanted a spread offense and the O Line sucked. Wilks took over and they started running the ball. Everyone remember the Detroit game last year when they physically dominated them? It was the same guys but they played with an attitude. Reich came in and installed his spread offense. O Line looked like crap. Rinse and repeat.

That's certainly a conclusion. I'll counter by saying we know Wilks isn't a special coach, so it's possible the talent is there to be at least a .500 team and coaches just aren't scheming and motivating them to get the most out of their talent. They're scheming Chinn off the field. It's possible the defense could be much better with him and a healthy Shaq and Horn.

The offense lacks talent and Wilks had the benefit of some CMC and all 12 games with DJ. That will be a problem regardless. But every year there are legit WR1/2 and TE selected on Day 2. Pick the right guys in those spots. Get a playable OL and WR on Day 3 and the offense is on its way.
Yeah the best two WRs tbis year went in the 5th and 2nd

I’ll admit I’m also coming at this discussion with the belief that the difference between the best coach and the worst coach in the NFL is not large enough to go from the worst record in the league to the playoffs. Talent is more important towards winning than coaching is. Look at what the Patriots have been the past few years with the same coach but a less talented roster.

The Pats are a bad comparison. They lost the greatest player of all time.

The last 28 games are about as close as you can get to a natural experiment on the impact of coaching.

Fit’s 5th round pick has played 9% of snaps on D. Nakua went 32 picks later.

I'd fight back on that a little. You''re missing 2 key players from last year's offense - Moore, your best WR, and Christensen, who was your best OG. The major difference between this year and last is the OL. The 2nd half of last year, you played good D and ran the ball, and the OL was a good run blocking unit. Whenever I've seen the Panthers this year, the OL can't run block or pass block. It is easily the worst OL in the NFL. I can't say it's a difference in coaching, scheme or losing Christensen, but the main deterioration from last year is the OL. That means your rookie QB is getting killed, you're going 3 and out as often as NYJ, and that puts your D on the field way too long, which is why the D hasn't been as good as last year. Ickey has regressed badly, and Zavala is atrocious. I'd say your only decent linemen are Moton and Bozeman, and as a unit, it's entirely dysfunctional.

Idk was the ball behind him? Seems semi difficult to stop on a dime and turn to catch that

Idk was the ball behind him? Seems semi difficult to stop on a dime and turn to catch that
Why was he sprinting in order to be literally out of bounds? The ball was thrown reasonably close to the sideline

The ball was behind him but why was he running full speed toward the sideline despite being wide open?

If he slows down to catch that in stride, he could cut up the field for 10+ more yards.

Sad…just really unhappy with this season. Before the BS I wanted Straud and now he is being considered a top 4 QB in the league. This is some horseshit…can’t miss on #1 pick when giving up some much!

Back