• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

If I were Tepper, I would go find a GM outside of the traditional mold. You're at rock bottom, shake things up a bit, it's worth the potential upside. Steer away from some retread who's been in the league forever and hire someone young and hungry, even if they don't have much of a track record. Get someone like Catherine Raîche...34 years old, female in a male dominated industry, meteoric rise through the ranks in her career thus far...you can't tell me someone like that wouldn't go kick some ass and turn things around or at least die trying. But Tepper is way too insecure to do something like that, so he'll hire another yes man and rinse and repeat all over again.
a joe brady-type GM

Me seeing that stat: "67 seems like a good number of targets for a rookie WR after 11 games. But that's just targets. How many catches does he have? Like 45 or 50?"

He only has 34 catches.

Who is this QB Cincy has? It is like other teams are just taunting the Panthers now. Tommy DeVito, Jake Browning, Tyson Bagent, Aiden O'Connell. All of them can complete passes and score TDs. Behind similarly bad or even worse O-lines.

it does seem to be a red flag when a coach is hired and doesn't seem to have a lot of set guys already. like how Redacted just inherited Dino's asst coaches since no one wanted to work for him(?).

I don’t really understand the logic of intentionally hiring an “offensive minded coach” and then forcing that HC to hire a staff of unfamiliar coordinators and assistants from different playing styles. From that article it sounds like Tepper was playing GM mode in a video game, and not delegating properly.

Agreed. I’m also confused because I remember when Reich was hired Tepper said one reason he hired Reich was that Reich had pitched this incredible all-star staff. Of course the big red flag with Reich is that he had just been fired.

By the way, Wilks coached 26% of games since Fit was named GM and has 46% of the wins.

Reich had just been fired…but fired by probably the next most dysfunctional owner in the league so I didn’t necessarily hold that against him. Part of my kool aid drinking I guess.

This shit is crazy. I’m sure Tepper knows a lot about QB footwork from running a hedge fund!

Team sources described a “Hunger Games” culture at Bank of America Stadium. Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.

“People just finger-pointing hoping they don’t get exposed,” said one assistant.

Days before Thanksgiving, with the team spiraling and Young getting pummeled, Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.

Tepper has been criticized for micromanaging and getting hands-on with football decisions. Prior to the 2019 season, he persuaded then-head coach Ron Rivera to switch to a 3-4 defense — which Tepper was familiar with as a former Pittsburgh Steelers minority partner — and drove the team’s interest in Deshaun Watson before the quarterback was traded to Cleveland in 2022.

Who is this QB Cincy has? It is like other teams are just taunting the Panthers now. Tommy DeVito, Jake Browning, Tyson Bagent, Aiden O'Connell. All of them can complete passes and score TDs. Behind similarly bad or even worse O-lines.
I have wondered this as well

It just can't be the case that Bryce is actually worse than Tyson Bagent

This shit is crazy. I’m sure Tepper knows a lot about QB footwork from running a hedge fund!

Team sources described a “Hunger Games” culture at Bank of America Stadium. Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team. In one instance, general manager Scott Fitterer and an offensive coach went to Tepper with a coaching suggestion for the quarterback.

“People just finger-pointing hoping they don’t get exposed,” said one assistant.

Days before Thanksgiving, with the team spiraling and Young getting pummeled, Tepper told Reich to fix the rookie’s footwork. Fitterer and others had told Tepper that Young’s feet were the cause of some of the Panthers’ protection issues. They believed Young wasn’t dropping back deep enough on his pass sets.

Tepper has been criticized for micromanaging and getting hands-on with football decisions. Prior to the 2019 season, he persuaded then-head coach Ron Rivera to switch to a 3-4 defense — which Tepper was familiar with as a former Pittsburgh Steelers minority partner — and drove the team’s interest in Deshaun Watson before the quarterback was traded to Cleveland in 2022.

this is consistent with what i heard from a sauce... but they framed it differently

they framed it that reich is stubborn and got more and more stubborn as things got worse this season. coaches, players, fitterer, etc. made suggestions and reich wouldn't budge. he lost the locker room and splintered the coaching staff. tepper likes to fire coaches, but i think reich caused this rift himself.

Very similar to how in politics DeSantis started dropping in polls and media realized how much he sucked and piled on him. Vulture journalism.

Sounds to me like Fit was going behind Reich's back to deflect any blame on him. The dumpster fire is worse than we thought. Reminds me of the Snyder meddling during the Shanahan years when Snyder was empowering RG3 behind the Shanahans' backs, but worse. If I'm Young, I can't wait till I can get out.

Back