• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

I know I saw him in there for one route, so he played. I think both him and Laviska finished on 0 receiving yard. Maybe Laviska had 1 rush?
he had a rush in I think the 4th that went for like 8 yards. lined up as a RB if I recall.

Marshall had 22 snaps. Shenault had 10.

Mingo played 98% of snaps. I would have guessed much less than that.

They only played 6 OL. Mays and Throckmorton rotated at RG.

Let's see, gave up our only decent receiver plus next year's 1st round choice (looking at this stage as top 3 pick) for the rights to a 5'9" QB. Kind of like the Biden Iran deal we just made, 5 Iranians for 5 Americans and throw in 6 Billion as a bonus. Man I am going to try and sell Reich on the fact I USED to run a 4.37 40, he could give me a contract, you think?

I’m not giving up on Bryce after his first 2 games. He has looked very accurate, he’s led receivers and thrown very catchable balls, thrown from different arm slots, he has shown good pocket awareness and avoided sacks. He has known when to run, and has looked very calm and decisive. I think his confidence in his receivers will grow as the season goes on, and he will become a more dynamic passer. We knew before he was drafted that he wasn’t a game breaking QB or a gunslinging risk taker, he is going to be patient in the offense and that’s going to be really frustrating when we are playing elite defenses that shut us down.
So we mortgaged our future for a game manager?

Far too early to heap praise on the guy, but Stroud has 626 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, a 91.2 QBR, and has the second most completions (behind Cam) of any rookie QB in his first 2 games. On a horrible team.
They got blown out in both games and the opposing defenses were happy to keep the clock running. Let me know when he does something in a game that matters. Or gets a win. And again, he may be better than Bryce, that's fine, congrats on being the tallest midget. None of the 3 are going to be good long-term NFL QBs, for various reasons.

The Panthers receivers are not going to get separation if they are only running routes horizontally and never vertically. The offensive play calling to this point has been so conservative it’s hamstringing itself.

Bryce Young is going to be really good. But Reich is being so conservative it’s working against his chances of success.

One positive thing about not having a 1st round pick is there will be no incentive to tank. So if Reich's approach continues to fail, he may be on the chopping block.

The Panthers receivers are not going to get separation if they are only running routes horizontally and never vertically. The offensive play calling to this point has been so conservative it’s hamstringing itself.

Bryce Young is going to be really good. But Reich is being so conservative it’s working against his chances of success.
100% how I feel right now

you have to do something creative as the coach

We continued to run man-beating routes when NO was playing zone. It was infuriating. Almost as infuriating at having only 5-6 people in the box with Taysom Hill at QB, obviously going to run.

The other issue - and maybe it's the biggest issue - is that apparently Reich is aware of how our O-line sucks and maybe feels like he can't call plays that gives Young enough time to get pulverized.

We are living in a Mike McDaniel - Kyle Shanahan world now where new wave offensive creativity wins.

One positive thing about not having a 1st round pick is there will be no incentive to tank. So if Reich's approach continues to fail, he may be on the chopping block.
I mean it's not like we had a solid coach last year... oh wait...

The other issue - and maybe it's the biggest issue - is that apparently Reich is aware of how our O-line sucks and maybe feels like he can't call plays that gives Young enough time to get pulverized.

We are living in a Mike McDaniel - Kyle Shanahan world now where new wave offensive creativity wins.
Miami has a good OL, and SF has 1 of the best OLs in the game. And their skilled players include Hill, Waddle, Mostert, RunCMC, Aiyuk, Samuel and Kittle. Not saying McDaniel and Shanahan aren't great coaches - they are. But it's a lot easier to call a game when your QB has both time and elite RBs and WRs.

I mean the Panthers have a recent top ten draft pick at LT, and a highly paid former 2nd round pick at RT. They also have a recently signed C that is making decent money.

I understand Corbett and Christensen being out isn't helping, but this offensive line shouldn't be nearly as putrid as it seems to be.

Back