• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 College Football Coaching Carousel

so that will make the 3rd Penn State DC to coach a former Coastal team

Not the direction, I would go. His Miami teams were always so undisciplined. They lost games by ignoring the details. Can't get away with that at Duke. He has a good rep as a recruiter, and he has coached/recruited in areas that a Duke HC would look for talent (the Northeast and Florida). If I was Dookie, a Diaz hire would make me nervous.

Not the direction, I would go. His Miami teams were always so undisciplined. They lost games by ignoring the details. Can't get away with that at Duke. He has a good rep as a recruiter, and he has coached/recruited in areas that a Duke HC would look for talent (the Northeast and Florida). If I was Dookie, a Diaz hire would make me nervous.

Exactly. Generally speaking, I think Duke - like Wake- is too hard of a job to give it a P5 big time coordinator. Yeah- I know it worked with Elko but that's the exception- not the rule. Granted, Diaz has been a HC before so it's not entirely the same situation. I'm all for it as I don't think it'll be a fit!

I know he's off the table now, but kind of surprised Duke didn't go in hard on trying to hire Willie Fritz. Successfully dealt with a similar academic environment, recruited Louisiana and the larger region very well considering the huge fish in that pond, and has a hell of a lot more to showoff as a HC than Diaz.

Fritz guided Tulane to a #9 finish in the polls last year; higher than any ACC team. Diaz's banner year as a HC involved losing the Cheez-It bowl.

I know he's off the table now, but kind of surprised Duke didn't go in hard on trying to hire Willie Fritz. Successfully dealt with a similar academic environment, recruited Louisiana and the larger region very well considering the huge fish in that pond, and has a hell of a lot more to showoff as a HC than Diaz.

Fritz guided Tulane to a #9 finish in the polls last year; higher than any ACC team. Diaz's banner year as a HC involved losing the Cheez-It bowl.
Tyrone Willingham is only 6 years older than Fritz and is from NC.

This could also go on the transfer portal thread as I would expect the former HC coach to take his coveted QB and OL to H'burg:

This could also go on the transfer portal thread as I would expect the former HC coach to take his coveted QB and OL to H'burg:

Even if they get P5 NIL offers?

Good question. JMU has some NIL money, but not as much as the highest P5 bidder. That said, HC transfers know that they would start and possibly star at JMU. Not the case with a random P5 school.

There is/are a poster(s) here clamoring for WF to bring "5 OL transfers" from the portal. Just ignorant.

WF already invested major NIL dollars to keep OT DaVonte Gordon at WF and not in the NFL or on another power 5 roster. WF made the same investment in C Luke Pettibone. Also, Nick Sharpe was on his way to a big year at OG for WF before an injury ended his season against Vandy. He will be healthy next year and will start. Matt Gulbin struggled to start the season, but improved as the season went on. He will likely start. That's 4 spots. So, if all are healthy that leaves one open OL spot, assuming that there was not a frosh redshirting that will make the leap next year. So, if I am the HC OL transfer, do I want to take a little more cash and come to WF to compete for a spot (and there are similar analyses for every Power V school) or go to JMU where you know the system, will start and have an audition tape for the NFL?

You can say the same at QB. No transfer is guaranteed to start here. Kern and Hecklinski will have the right to compete. For grad transfers, the assurance of playing is huge. For many, more important than money.

Elko was lightning in Duke's bottle and he sure knew to get the hell out ASAP. I don't see lightning striking twice in Derm.

Was Diaz the Miami coach of that controversial wild finish in Durham?

Was Diaz the Miami coach of that controversial wild finish in Durham?

No that was interim coach - forget guys name - somewhere in between Al Golden and Mark Richt administrations. Crazy Deacs haven’t played Miami since 2013?!?

Gotta believe that Fritz didn’t wanna leave the region - hence moving to the Houston job. GT is a better job than Houston - wasn’t he in the mix for that last year?

Gotta believe that Fritz didn’t wanna leave the region - hence moving to the Houston job. GT is a better job than Houston - wasn’t he in the mix for that last year?
I think the story was that he was offered and verbally agreed to take the GT job but got pissed when news leaked sometime before the Cotton Bowl and he killed the deal.

There's also speculation that Tulane boosters stepped up big time to fund Fritz's extension. We don't know the terms of his extension since they're a private school, but he made $2.8 million at Tulane in 2022 which is what GT paid Brent Key this year. If I had to guess they must have been able to match whatever GT was offering.

I think the story was that he was offered and verbally agreed to take the GT job but got pissed when news leaked sometime before the Cotton Bowl and he killed the deal.

There's also speculation that Tulane boosters stepped up big time to fund Fritz's extension. We don't know the terms of his extension since they're a private school, but he made $2.8 million at Tulane in 2022 which is what GT paid Brent Key this year. If I had to guess they must have been able to match whatever GT was offering.
Thanks for background. Yeah it just seems odd that given how high his stock was - he goes to Houston. Yeah - I know it’s in the Big 12 now but felt like he could have gone to SEC if he played cards right

Tulane hires Troy's coach:

Troy plays Duke in the Birmingham Bowl on December 23, and both teams will have interim coaches and a ton of players in the portal. Game opened at Troy -4, went up to as high as Troy -8, guessing it is head back down now.

Rutgers is 18-28 (9-27 in the Big 10) since Schiano returned. Yes, Rutgers only OOC loss since Schiano returned was to WF in the 2021 Gator Bowl

Rutgers is 18-28 (9-27 in the Big 10) since Schiano returned. Yes, Rutgers only OOC loss since Schiano returned was to WF in the 2021 Gator Bowl

Good example of what expansion and realignment means to most schools. Who wouldn’t want to pay $6M+ to Greg Schiano to win 25% of your conference games !?

Back