• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 College Football Coaching Carousel

Chip Kelly was throwing his name out there for every opening... Wonder what issues he is leaving behind in Westwood.

Ryan Day played for Chip Kelly at New Hampshire and coached under him. So this hire makes sense. Curious to see who UCLA will get though.

Chip Kelly coach in waiting?
If Ryan Day takes an NFL job I guess. I don't see that happening. I imagine Kelly really wanted out and will be up for college and NFL jobs after a season or two.

Understand that the feelings about Chip Kelly are mixed at UCLA, but it's a kick in the nuts for UCLA to join the Big 10 and have their head coach resign his position to be an assistant at a school in their new conference. Not sure the last time that a head coach at a Power V school resigned to be an assistant at another Power V school.

The coach in waiting at tOSU right now is Mike Vrabel. There are plenty of tOSU wing-nuts that want Day fired and Vrabel hired now.

Last edited:
If Ryan Day takes an NFL job I guess. I don't see that happening. I imagine Kelly really wanted out and will be up for college and NFL jobs after a season or two.
don't a lot of OSU fans want Ryan Day out?

... Wonder what issues he is leaving behind in Westwood.
Well, for one, UCLA plays its home games in an off-campus stadium, about 15 miles from campus. Of course, it is one of the most famous college football stadiums in the country but it's not on campus and their attendance is often disappointing there. There is no place to put a football stadium on the UCLA campus. They used to share the Coliseum with USC but that was off-campus too-about 8 miles away from the UCLA campus.

Last edited:
Understand that the feelings about Chip Kelly are mixed at UCLA, but it's a kick in the nuts for UCLA to join the Big 10 and have their head coach resign his position to be an assistant at a school in their new conference. Not sure the last time that a head coach at a Power V school resigned to be an assistant at another Power V school.

The coach in waiting at tOSU right now is Mike Vrabel. There are plenty of tOSU wing-nuts that want Day fired and Vrabel hired now.

Unless Kelly has impregnated a cheerleader and/or knows major sanctions are coming, I don't understand this move.

Unless Kelly has impregnated a cheerleader and/or knows major sanctions are coming, I don't understand this move.
between his interest in the BC job and taking the OSU OC job (which ironically is only open because the outgoing OC who hadn't coached there yet is going to BC), he clearly would take about anything to get out

between his interest in the BC job and taking the OSU OC job (which ironically is only open because the outgoing OC who hadn't coached there yet is going to BC), he clearly would take about anything to get out

Apparently. I don't know the terms or duration of his current contract but my guess is he's leaving major $$$ on the table. Unless he knows they might have justification to fire "with cause" and he forfeits the remaining dollars. But I'm no attorney. Just a little odd to demote oneself. Something is up.

UCLA supposedly did not have the money to fire him. Money is alleged to be tight in Westwood. There's a reason they jumped to the Big Ten

Imagine paying all those taxes and the public school can't afford to fire him. I guess the tOSU dental plan is good though.

Dental plans are way better in California than Ohio

Ain’t nobody moving to the Midwest to fix their teeth

Last edited:
Back