• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Scholly Tracker | In: Roberts (A&T LB), Ganious (Nova DT), Merrill (Vols WR)

Despite the HS signees, think WF is still mulling over LB transfer options.

Linebacker commits (and presumably signees tomorrow) are for two or three years in the future. I will be pleasantly surprised if any of those guys walk onto Wake's campus in January or July and are ready to play.

Wake needs some guys who will be "above the line" by next August. Those guys will need to come from the Portal. IMHO, best case would be guys who will be classified as RS Juniors or RS Sophs in fall 23.

Well I hope we’re doing the same thing.

So, basically, we can become a farm system for bigger programs. Just to cut through the bullshit Clawson references. I'm sure he's beyond frustrated. I saw an interview with Mack a few weeks ago and he honestly sounded like he was ready to just quit.

I honestly think once the new shine wears off of NIL, donors will get very tired of putting up big big money for a couple of kids each year. Who may or may not pan out. At least a facility is nice for a decade. It’s chaos and it’s dirty right now and it pisses me off that my favorite sport in the world has turned into a monster but I think in five years it will have corrected itself.

I honestly think once the new shine wears off of NIL, donors will get very tired of putting up big big money for a couple of kids each year. Who may or may not pan out. At least a facility is nice for a decade. It’s chaos and it’s dirty right now and it pisses me off that my favorite sport in the world has turned into a monster but I think in five years it will have corrected itself.

I hope you are somewhere in the ballpark of correct. Pay the guys for legit NIL stuff. GTFO with all the payments before they hit campus.

He had to have been told he’s not in the rotation going forward.

This is not how CFB has operated for a century. Boosters are more like Buddy Garrity than not.

Even if they’re tired of shelling out for recruits who don’t work out, they’ll definitely shell out for the next recruit who is a sure thing.

I’m not so sure. There’s a difference between handing over $50k in a paper bag to a few players and dropping $1 mil per year on 10 different players when that $10 mil can get your name on a shiny new building.

I also think if smaller schools start making the expanded playoff and they aren’t paying big $$, the donors for big schools will start asking why is their money needed. Make it happen without the money.

Even if they’re tired of shelling out for recruits who don’t work out, they’ll definitely shell out for the next recruit who is a sure thing.

Exactly. always a shiny toy out there for someone.

marshall really putting that wake forest farm team to good use

I’m not so sure. There’s a difference between handing over $50k in a paper bag to a few players and dropping $1 mil per year on 10 different players when that $10 mil can get your name on a shiny new building.
Lol. Maybe some places. Part of the difference is that some of our big donors also give in meaningful ways to local philanthropy (specifically thinking of Flow). Imagine the car dealer king in Tuscaloosa. You thing that cat is shelling out to give to the Symphony or United Way?

I think many boosters will start jumping off the train as the stakes rise. Before, the risk return quotient was tricky. If you gave money under the table and got caught, the penalty could be high. Now, there is no penalty and everyone is putting chips on the table. Even wealthy boosters have their limits. Plus, the return on investment is so hard to judge that boosters will soon lose interest.

I think many boosters will start jumping off the train as the stakes rise. Before, the risk return quotient was tricky. If you gave money under the table and got caught, the penalty could be high. Now, there is no penalty and everyone is putting chips on the table. Even wealthy boosters have their limits. Plus, the return on investment is so hard to judge that boosters will soon lose interest.
I don't think that contracts will continue to expand at this exponential pace, but it's not going away. You seeing any reduction in coaching salaries. Hell duke basketball went from paying coach k all the monies to paying a young unproven john scheyer all the monies despite seemingly having zero competition for his services.

If I had NIL money to burn, I’d give it to a transfer who’s already proven himself in college like Kenneth Walker III. Too much risk with the vast majority of kids out of high school.

Back