• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

Hockey teams often play bad in the next playoff series when they have long layoffs. Rust far outweighs rest.

But yeah, there was a little bit of choking involved by the Braves too, sure. Gotta be able to handle the moment.

Is a Wow but also seemed like it was only a matter of time last night….seems tv showed he threw like 10-12 straight 4 seam fastballs all at 98-100. Yes, they may have been different locations. But there was nothing in between to keep him off balance, So not surprised he eventually timed one just right.

hmm...I don't really know how you could quantify this

to me, it's not about momentum, but about the fact that the playoff schedule is totally deviated from the regular season

no other sport that I can think of has such a drastic change in scheduling from the regular season, thus incentivizing very different strengths, coaching decisions, etc.

it also emphasizes that baseball is just so much more random in its outcomes than any other sport due to the nature of the game and the extreme importance of a single player on the field
I think this is right

Baseball is pretty unique as a team sport in that you can win 100+ games as a team and then hit two top tier pitchers in playoffs and lose

Or have one or two hitters hit some bombs and game completely changes

You have to have depth and good players across the board to win 90+ games.

But in the playoffs 2-3 guys can change a whole series

I think this is right

Baseball is pretty unique as a team sport in that you can win 100+ games as a team and then hit two top tier pitchers in playoffs and lose

Or have one or two hitters hit some bombs and game completely changes

You have to have depth and good players across the board to win 90+ games.

But in the playoffs 2-3 guys can change a whole series

By far the biggest impact of the playoff schedule - few back to back games, no three game series - is on pitching. Top starters get more starts on regular rest. Top Relievers who only pitch every other day are able to pitch nearly every game.

Seems like one way to address that would be to make every series best of 7. 3-game series at the high seed, day off, 3-game series at the low seed, day off, Game 7 at high seed (if necessary).

Seems like one way to address that would be to make every series best of 7. 3-game series at the high seed, day off, 3-game series at the low seed, day off, Game 7 at high seed (if necessary).
Some people are salty because the three teams who won the most games during the regular season all lost their first series. Three home games in a seven game elimination is a big advantage for the home team. Would this sentiment still exist if the regular season different was 1 game?

Every team knows the playoff format in January. Every team can work to construct a roster that they best think can compete. That is why winning and losing in baseball is a whole organization effort. Talent has to be good enough to at least be nearly the best over 162 games that is the regular season marathon. Then, has to be the best over 5 and 7 game series that are the post season sprints.

Baseball is a game in which a lot of failure is expected. Winning 60% of games is a good season. Yet winning 50% is mediocre. 10 percentage points separate a really good team from a mediocre one.

I never really believed in the idea of “team culture” or “organizational culture” or “winning culture” before, and was probably turned off by Manning/[Redacted] talking about it.

In recent years though I have started to buy in, both in sports and at work. Teams like the Heat in the NBA and the last couple years of the Phillies clubhouse have really made me start to buy in. At minimum, chemistry is important, as is fan support, but it’s bigger than that too.

Teams that choke might have other dysfunction too, but I’ve observed with the Sixers that the team really wasn’t there for each other, and while you could point to roster problems or other concerns, a few bounces the other way and things look a lot different. In games and series with tiny margins, culture is a serious competitive advantage. This Phils team has it big time.

A baseball team needs to meet or exceed the 60% wins (97-65 regular season record) mark to win a 5 game series. They need to meet or exceed a "good regular season (93-69)" mark of 57% wins to win a 7 game series.

I think it is also a bit fluky this year in that the Astros had half their team injured all year and are now healthy, the Rangers had the 3rd highest run differential in MLB, and Phillies had second best record post June in the majors

In other words they may be “upsetting” teams but it’s not like these remaining four teams are bad

Yea Phils and Rangers still top 10 payroll teams (all four teams left are).

It doesn't change the point, but I think that link is for what is committed in 2024 ;)

I never really believed in the idea of “team culture” or “organizational culture” or “winning culture” before, and was probably turned off by Manning/[Redacted] talking about it.

In recent years though I have started to buy in, both in sports and at work. Teams like the Heat in the NBA and the last couple years of the Phillies clubhouse have really made me start to buy in. At minimum, chemistry is important, as is fan support, but it’s bigger than that too.

Teams that choke might have other dysfunction too, but I’ve observed with the Sixers that the team really wasn’t there for each other, and while you could point to roster problems or other concerns, a few bounces the other way and things look a lot different. In games and series with tiny margins, culture is a serious competitive advantage. This Phils team has it big time.

VIBES!

Back