• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Long-term Wake Forest needs to focus on basketball. It's the only realistic shot at conference and national titles.

Long-term Wake Forest needs to focus on basketball. It's the only realistic shot at conference and national titles.

That is just not true. Freaking Coastal Carolina just won a title in baseball and we actually have a title in baseball.

I’ll also add that we are a D1 Power Conference school. We can be good at multiple things at once. We have the money and resources.

Walter: "Come to Wake and pitch. We have a pitching lab!"

Recruit: "Yea, I heard about that. I bring.it up with the other guys recruiting me and ask them about it, but as of yet, no one can get an audible answer out due to.prolonged hysterical laughter..."

And eliminated on a called third strike, the third strikeout in the ninth.

I’ll also add that we are a D1 Power Conference school. We can be good at multiple things at once. We have the money and resources.

No we're not. We just happened to be a founding member of the ACC the way Vanderbilt was a founding member of the SEC. Pure luck. Financial windfall to boot. We would be G5 at best now if we weren't a founding member of the ACC. Outside of about five guys we have very low alumni support and a small alumni base in general.

No we're not. We just happened to be a founding member of the ACC the way Vanderbilt was a founding member of the SEC. Pure luck. Financial windfall to boot. We would be G5 at best now if we weren't a founding member of the ACC. Outside of about five guys we have very low alumni support and a small alumni base in general.

We’re not a D1 P5 conference school? Wow, that’s news to me. Did we get relegated to the G5?

at the end of the day i don’t think in-game coaching was the difference but imo it was obvious golob was gonna struggle, he pitched taxing innings on friday in the heat, warmed up for like an hour yesterday in the heat (unnecessarily) and then was throwing a while today as well.

but our lack of bullpen depth was gonna bit us at some point.

Not really. We just happened to be a founding member of the ACC the way Vanderbilt was a founding member of the SEC. Pure luck. Financial windfall to boot. We would be G5 at best now if we weren't a founding member of the ACC. Outside of about five guys we have very low alumni support and a small alumni base in general.

Walter: "Come to Wake and pitch. We have a pitching lab!"

Recruit: "Yea, I heard about that. I bring.it up with the other guys recruiting me and ask them about it, but as of yet, no one can get an audible answer out due to.prolonged hysterical laughter..."

i think the damming part is that whether bc of recruiting or the lab we have consistently have pitchers who dont get results at the acc level get picked high in the draft.

Is Adler available at all?

i saw adler in street clothes outside the stadium when the rest of the team was huddling on the field. would assume we’ve seen the last of him (my guess is he goes pro and gets drafted in the first 10 rounds)

They aren't going to make a change with what we have coming back off of a 41 win season. I think we should have big expectations for next year and we need to fulfill them or we need to take a long look at the leadership in the program.

They aren't going to make a change with what we have coming back off of a 41 win season. I think we should have big expectations for next year and we need to fulfill them or we need to take a long look at the leadership in the program.

i think this is a good prediction of what will happen. but how many times have we (and you specifically, Chris?) said basically the exact same thing? Walter has done an amazing job of doing just enough to get by. With the guys we have, we will probably have a good year next season even though history suggests we will underperform and Walter will guy a few more years.

other note: not sure how much credit walter deserves for the investment in the program over the past decade, but that does matter. even if he’s not the right head coach, he might deserve a lot credit for getting our program over the hump.

Last edited:

I think this is the most likely outcome.
Currie will let Walter know that it's time for improvement next year or it's time to walk. He's clearly not going to get us over the hump. But he has won just enough to keep staying.

It will really hurt if Stanford does not win its regional. We had a winnable regional and then perhaps Texas State between us and Omaha.

What a strange statement. We were in the ACC championship in football this year.

What a strange statement. We were in the ACC championship in football this year.

Anomaly. The best shot for high profile championships for a school Wake's size is basketball. I love every team we have, but small schools can be consistently elite in basketball.

Back