• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Mercifully the season is over--had high hopes but kept blowing games----ironic the only starter who won regional game was Hartle who people gave crap all year !

Yea....vs Long Island...not so good results in ACC starts...

He and the BP totally collapsed many times. Most recent was the UNC game. 10 runs in one inning.

The difference in watching other teams is not that relievers don't struggle. That's the drama of college baseball. The difference is best captured by the descriptive "collapse". Today's loss was an example....and it happened way too often this season (and most of Walter's seasons).

Either Walter doesn’t train/coach pitching well or there is a deep psychological problem. Maybe in practice and the lab our guys are different animals, pitching lights out. If so, this is the basis of his decisions regarding substitutions, for it can't be what the kid did last time out.

Unless he's hurt, Oxford seems to have been given up on. I agree with others that, given the guys' histories we've used, we should have given some others a shot (i.e. Andrew's, for example..

Small schools with academic integrity can win in baseball. See Vanderbilt and Rice.

Not sure you can fire a coach that makes tourney even though he is an underwhelming coach

Yep.

41-19 is good momentum into next year, and fix the bullpen we win 5-7 more games. Something like 47-13 and top 10 is doable next year.

Not sure how to fix the bullpen though.

Our memories are too short. Remember this guy named Danny Manning?

I def understand that, but we are going to be legitimately good next season is Walt can keep the team in tact. Now isn't the time to shake things up. We'll be preseason top-20

Yep.

41-19 is good momentum into next year, and fix the bullpen we win 5-7 more games. Something like 47-13 and top 10 is doable next year.

Not sure how to fix the bullpen though.

NCAA%20TRANSFER%20PORTAL.png

Small schools with academic integrity can win in baseball. See Vanderbilt and Rice.

I actually think that Wake Baseball has the donor base that could leverage NIL to cover some of the scholarship gaps that hurt us so much relative to peers with cheaper tuition stickers.

Yeah you got most of the pieces here to be a very good team you think this would be a very attractive transfer portal destination.

I def understand that, but we are going to be legitimately good next season is Walt can keep the team in tact. Now isn't the time to shake things up. We'll be preseason top-20

i think we'll be legit really good next year, but the preseason hype before a disappointing season is something that we've seen a lot.

i think we'll be legit really good next year, but the preseason hype before a disappointing season is something that we've seen a lot.
If that happens I don't see there's any way that Walter survives it

Understand the frustration with the baseball program always having hyped expectations which are not met.

That said, don't put the losses this weekend on the staff. Deacs had the ACC Pitcher of the Year on the mound against UCONN. Deacs scored 7 runs and don't win. Lowder is a stud. Love the way he works the opponent. Just sucked for RL to have his worst outing of the year in the NCAAT. FWIW, Lowder retired the first 8 hitters, and then gave up an inordinate amount of hits on weak contact, but that's baseball: sometimes bloops fall in, and line drives are caught.

If WF beats UCONN on Friday, both Hartle and McGraw had great starts on Saturday and Sunday, maybe WF wins the regional in three games. Instead, WF's season ends.

Also, the collapse of Eric Adler kept WF from hosting a regional and maybe more. Really hard to understand what happened with him. Adler was an effective closer last year 2.00 ERA for WF in 2021, and dominated in the Cape Leauge last Summer (which is essentially a college all-star league) as Adler was the relief pitcher of the season last Summer 1.14 ERA striking out almost 2 batters an inning. After a good start to the season, Adler completely lost it and ended up with a horrific 8.86 ERA with an incredible more walks than innings pitched. If WF has a lights out closer, WF becomes a completely different team. It's my understanding, Adler wasn't in uniform for the NCAA Regional.

I can't imagine bringing Walter back after this season. I'm not certain he would be fired, but I just don't see a world in which he builds a consistently successful program.

I sincerely doubt there's a coaching change right now. A young team made the NCAAT while the much-heralded closer was MIA all season. Let's not act like we took a step backwards. Only 16 teams make the supers and we were never a top 16 all season.

I sincerely doubt there's a coaching change right now. A young team made the NCAAT while the much-heralded closer was MIA all season. Let's not act like we took a step backwards. Only 16 teams make the supers and we were never a top 16 all season.

Wake was a conference win or two from being a top 16 team. If you don't believe me, compare top 16 team UNC's record to ours.

We’ve been preseason top 20 like 3 out of the last 5 years and all 3 of those years I don’t think we even made the tournament.

Back