• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

We got boned on the Dance. The ACC really needs to get their shit together. SEC and Big ten say ACC football sucks. The world accepts that. And why? Cuz Wake Forest. In this situation we should ally with our enemy. Because over time Wake Forest will get screwed more.

Do tickets cover everything until the Monday game? I can’t make Friday, but may get tickets for Saturday and Sunday.

Multiple Vegas sites have us 50% more likely to win the regional than the host team.

Re: UConn....I think it comes down to if we can hit their ace pitcher. If he's on the level of the handful of ACC pitchers who held us to 0-3 runs, I think we'll be in trouble. Since the Big East is not the ACC, I'm hoping we can get 8+ runs and a W.

Clemson fires baseball coach Monte Lee after missing NCAA tournament the past two seasons.

lowder Fri

i think at our seed, there isn't much difference in expected leverage between game 1 and game 2 is pretty negligible. walter said he was going on matchups which makes sense. i i kinda liked the idea on holding lowder for saturday, since it's really important to get a good start when you are potentially playing multiple games on the same day. (i.e. probably easier if you have a taxed bullpen on friday vs. saturday). but ultimately i think won't make a big difference either way.

lowder Fri

I like this move. Win the first one and then worry about the next. I wonder if they would consider letting Keener start the next game and pitch 3-4 innings. He was great for that long against State.

lowder Fri

Got to win the game in front of you. UCONN's Friday starter has arguably had a better year than any of the MD starting pitchers (although G'town lit him up two weeks ago; then he turned around and shutout GT in the Big East Tournament). FWIW, Walter has deep connections with G'town program (his kid played there; that's why GT plays at WF to start each season), and GT played UCONN 4 times in the last two weeks (GT won three of those games). WF will have a detailed scouting report on the Huskies. To put WF in the best position to win the regional:

- Lowder must win his start
- If LIU doesn't beat MD, it would be nice if they pushed the Terps to tax their bullpen
- Need McGraw and/or Hartle to pitch well in Game 2

I like this move. Win the first one and then worry about the next. I wonder if they would consider letting Keener start the next game and pitch 3-4 innings. He was great for that long against State.

Doubt they need to do that with fully rested McGraw and Hartle available. Now, if Lowder struggles and they need 9-12 outs from the bullpen in a close game against UConn ... think you'd see Keener then. Given that's unlikely, you'll probably see Keener Saturday or Sunday.

I know McGraw has been money late but you can’t mess around and get too cutesy with strategy as winning game 1 is huge as going losers bracket is a whole extra 9 or more innings and we have a solid bullpen but not stellar.

I know McGraw has been money late but you can’t mess around and get too cutesy with strategy as winning game 1 is huge as going losers bracket is a whole extra 9 or more innings and we have a solid bullpen but not stellar.

yes, absolutely, you go all in ala Terry Francona to win the first two games knowing if you don't, you will definitely burn the bullpen trying to get back to the championship game

You have to start your ace and get game 1. The only problem is every team has at least 1 ace and you will see him in game 1. We need to light UConn up with the bats.

So what would we expect the pitching schedule to be after Lowder Friday? McGraw Saturday regardless of Friday's outcome? I know McGraw has normally pitched Sundays, but I don't see how you risk getting bounced from the regional without him even getting a chance to pitch.

Would Lowder be able to give any innings Sunday/Monday on a couple days rest?

So what would we expect the pitching schedule to be after Lowder Friday? McGraw Saturday regardless of Friday's outcome? I know McGraw has normally pitched Sundays, but I don't see how you risk getting bounced from the regional without him even getting a chance to pitch.

Would Lowder be able to give any innings Sunday/Monday on a couple days rest?

Doubtful unless WF ran out to a huge lead, Lowder was super-efficient and he threw a minimal number of pitches.

Except when the pitchers were injured or out with illness, Walter has followed the Lowder/Hartle/McGraw order. That said, McGraw has been the better pitcher, and the winner of the Saturday winner's bracket game goes on to win the regional the vast majority of the time.

Back