• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

What defines “anything close to the last three”?

If Forbes goes .500 and loses the first game of the ACCT, is he still not on the hot seat?
Nope. As with most things, money is the key to this.

Who is paying his buyout after next season? Forbes has the support of all the sources of funds for WF athletics. That's not close to changing. This isn't a DM or Buzz situation when the coach has lost everyone's support, and the big donors were willing to fund a change. Forbes is adored by the people that matter. Another middle of the pack ACC finish and no NCAAT will not lead to a change.

Who is paying his buyout after next season? Forbes has the support of all the sources of funds for WF athletics. That's not close to changing. This isn't a DM or Buzz situation when the coach has lost everyone's support, and the big donors were willing to fund a change. Forbes is adored by the people that matter. Another middle of the pack ACC finish and no NCAAT will not lead to a change.

I respectfully disagree with this.

Would you be happy with that and think that Forbes deserved to keep his job?

Apparently that is the standard for "success" as a Wake basketball coach- just keep the big donors happy by being a good guy who will hang out with them and kiss their ass. The results on the court don't matter.

I'm not the one funding the buy-out. So, my happiness isn't relevant. I'm not a fan of long contract extensions particularly after limited success (Manning in 2017; Forbes in 2022). Was just addressing the thought that has been popping up here that Forbes will be fired if 2024-5 WF basketball does not make the NCAAs, that is simply wrong. Currie and the group that provides the funds supporting WF basketball are all-in on Forbes, and that's not going to change if WF has another NCAAT near-miss.

The recent late-season fade after beating Duke is the first time that I have questioned whether Forbes can get it done. A lot can and will happen before the end of next season, but I'm cautiously optimistic that WF have the talent to make the 2025 tournament to render the discussion moot.

I agree that right now the decision-makers are all in on Forbes.

However I expect them to be all in on him right up until the day he is either let go or decides to leave Mike White style for another job before he is let go.

The donor class loves Forbes but they love winning more. I think even Forbes would understand if we moved on next year without a tournament bid. He’s a coaching lifer who has bounced around a ton, not an entitled jackass like Scheyer who had everything handed to him on a silver platter. He’s not expecting a lifetime contract for just pretty good performance.

Last edited:
Heard K. on the radio say that recruiting has changed a lot in the last five years.

You’d think the only Joel Justice he’d recognize is getting rid of the Joel

If Justus were actually an established coach that could potentially be a nice marketing thing.

“With Wake Forest’s 14-0 undefeated home record, no team is anxious to come into Winston Salem for a serving of that Joel Justice.”

Never mind, corny.

Last edited:
As I said on another thread, in the event Currie gave Forbes an extension that keeps him around even if he is not making the tourney, Currie should be fired.

I have no idea if that is actually the case, but it would be a fireable offense for sure.

Joel Justice and Wes Miller have rooted for Wake Forest at more games than this entire board combined.

We all know you're prone to hyperbole, but do you really believe this bullshit?

Joel Justice and Wes Miller have rooted for Wake Forest at more games than this entire board combined. Were you all really not there? Did you not see it with your own eyes?

This is like saying Turfmanagingdeac isn't a Wake guy since he didn't go to school there. He is far more of a Deacon fan than me.

We were fools not to have those two on our bench. And now we are saying they aren't part of us? What in the World.
I was literally at a game where Joel Justus trying to defeat Wake Forest by playing for the other team.

It's really something to simultaneously belittle the last 25 years of Wake basketball and insist that our next hire have a connection to that same era of basketball.

The fact that there is a minority of Wake fans that believe Forbes needs to be replaced means there is some heat to his seat. There is a another minority of Wake fans that express that the 2024-25 season is a make or break season for retaining Forbes. Add those two factions together and the national press will begin to acknowledge there is definitely heat to the seat. Some big money supporters begin to question his retention. Should Forbes fail to make the Dance in 2025-26, his seat will go from heated to hot. This projection is based on the assumption Forbes continues to win at his present rate in and out of conference. A losing season could make Forbes expendable immediately.

I have supported Forbes from jump street, but there are warts that are beginning to show.

Demon Deacons everywhere getting jobs. Wes Miller at Cincy. Justin Gray at Coastal. Pat Kelsey at Louisville. Joel Justice next.

All they get is hate from their Wake Forest brothers. Someone above posted about Pat Kelsey is already about to be fired at Louisville.

I wish we also had hired Jeff Capel and Wojo. Clearly would have been far better choices those we hired.
Roy's little boy, Wes, is not a Demon Deacon.

Roy's little boy, Wes, is not a Demon Deacon.
When I met Wes Miller in prob 2004, he said, “so and so told me you went to Wake. I rooted for them as a kid.” So Wake hasn’t been him team since at least then. The things DR says are insane and meant to infuriate and they do. And I like Justin a lot. We were close friends in college but I doubt even he thinks he’s done enough at this point to get the Wake job. I hope in the future, but what has he done right now other than be a great Wake alum, which didn’t work out for possibly the greatest Wake bball alum?

Apparently that is the standard for "success" as a COLLEGE basketball coach- just keep the big donors happy by being a good guy who will hang out with them and kiss their ass. The results on the court don't matter.
Edited for accuracy

Back