• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

There are two power conference openings left:

• USC
  • OK State

Ok State just hired from WKU
Steve Lutz (apparently no relation to Bobby). Fast climber:

Creighton Assistant
Purdue Assistant (Matt Painter coaching tree)
Texas A&M Corpus Christi HC -- two years - NCAAT
WKU HC -- one year - NCAAT

OK State

DR has a gift for making arguments, the seed of which I think most people completely agree with (e.g., the Joel is too big; Wake shouldn’t have hired Danny Manning), but presenting them in such a way as to turn those very same people against him. I don’t know what the lawyer/jury analogy is to a doctor’s bedside manner, but we’ve got to work on that, my man (unless you’re just intentionally trying to piss everyone off).
A lot of truth here.

Also, this seems like an appropriate time to share a pic of Ms. Enfield as she takes one last longing look at the beach before leaving LA for Dallas:

Amanda_Marcum-1.jpg

Mr and Mrs Enfield would have been our coach but for Wellman having Donkey Brains.

Growing talk that Indiana State's Josh Scherz heads to St. Louis U after tonight's NIT Final.

if bucky is available next offseason - we have to make our move

There's only one Power Conference job open, and Schertz isn't getting an offer from USC (or Arkansas after Musselman heads to USC). It comes down to money for Schertz. St. Louis has the money to offer Schertz a big raise. To dig a little deeper, the thinking is that Schertz will bring all or almost all of his Indiana State's key players (all the starters are underclassmen) to St. Louis, and he will win big there too. At that point, Schertz will get his Power Conference offer, and if he doesn't, he's getting a big salary bump at St. Louis.

Not sure why Bucky didn't get more Power V love. He would be on my short list. He checks a lot of boxes:

• Turned around a dead program
  • Got to the NCAAT (almost beat KS)
  • Plays an exciting style
  • Charasmatic
Unless Samford takes a step back (doubtful), Bucky will get a Power V job next year.

Roy's little boy, Wes, is not a Demon Deacon.
Should have been! Still can’t see how or why Prosser did not get him here as a preferred walk-on. Dynamic shooter and his dad was an alum who had given the money for the Miller Center. Similar to Grobe not giving Jeff Bradley a schollie and he was son of Wake legend & HOFer Ed Bradley. Went on to all conference honors at Western.

Well, their dad coached at Wake when they were growing up. However, I recall they later didn't seem to have favorable thoughts about Wake. If looking, I'd start elsewhere.
Capel was on Staak’s staff along with Jerry Wainwright & Dennis Wolfe. Most left when Staak fired after 1988-89 season. Odom kept Wainwright.

There's only one Power Conference job open, and Schertz isn't getting an offer from USC (or Arkansas after Musselman heads to USC). It comes down to money for Schertz. St. Louis has the money to offer Schertz a big raise. To dig a little deeper, the thinking is that Schertz will bring all or almost all of his Indiana State's key players (all the starters are underclassmen) to St. Louis, and he will win big there too. At that point, Schertz will get his Power Conference offer, and if he doesn't, he's getting a big salary bump at St. Louis.

Not sure why Bucky didn't get more Power V love. He would be on my short list. He checks a lot of boxes:

• Turned around a dead program
  • Got to the NCAAT (almost beat KS)
  • Plays an exciting style
  • Charasmatic
Unless Samford takes a step back (doubtful), Bucky will get a Power V job next year.

I think in the end, a Power V offer would be too much to turn down. But Samford is in his hometown where he played college hoops and coached the top HS program to multiple championships. I think it will be slightly harder to pull him out of there as compared to your typical coach that has no deep ties to their first mid-major stop. I think the facilities are still crap, but Samford is trying.

I'm not joking - Bucky is on a Nate Oats trajectory.

Back