• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

There's only one Power Conference job open, and Schertz isn't getting an offer from USC (or Arkansas after Musselman heads to USC). It comes down to money for Schertz. St. Louis has the money to offer Schertz a big raise. To dig a little deeper, the thinking is that Schertz will bring all or almost all of his Indiana State's key players (all the starters are underclassmen) to St. Louis, and he will win big there too. At that point, Schertz will get his Power Conference offer, and if he doesn't, he's getting a big salary bump at St. Louis.

Not sure why Bucky didn't get more Power V love. He would be on my short list. He checks a lot of boxes:

• Turned around a dead program
  • Got to the NCAAT (almost beat KS)
  • Plays an exciting style
  • Charasmatic
Unless Samford takes a step back (doubtful), Bucky will get a Power V job next year.
When the NIT is over and Indiana State's season ends, and Schertz presumably takes the SLU job, there's going to be a serious battle for ISU's top players.

While they may follow Schertz to SLU, Ryan Conwell and Robbie Avila are going to have serious NIL thrown at them. Conwell is from Indianapolis and is at the top of IU's portal board and is already well aware that the Hoosiers are going to make him a serious offer.

DR has a gift for making arguments, the seed of which I think most people completely agree with (e.g., the Joel is too big; Wake shouldn’t have hired Danny Manning), but presenting them in such a way as to turn those very same people against him. I don’t know what the lawyer/jury analogy is to a doctor’s bedside manner, but we’ve got to work on that, my man (unless you’re just intentionally trying to piss everyone off).
My interpretation is "I've been to Duke and become enlightened."

What would you rather have.... Bucky McMillan or an 8,000 seat on campus basketball palace?

When the NIT is over and Indiana State's season ends, and Schertz presumably takes the SLU job, there's going to be a serious battle for ISU's top players.

While they may follow Schertz to SLU, Ryan Conwell and Robbie Avila are going to have serious NIL thrown at them. Conwell is from Indianapolis and is at the top of IU's portal board and is already well aware that the Hoosiers are going to make him a serious offer.
Great point. Have heard that St, Louis is builing a money pot to try to compete, but a big offer from Indiana to a kid from Indianapolis would likely be hard to turndown Just another negative about the current state of college basketball. Under the previous sit-out rules, Indiana State would be a legit top 20 team pre-season next year. Instead, despite the opportunity to return everyone, they wll have lost their coach and all of their players to other schools.

Great point. Have heard that St, Louis is builing a money pot to try to compete, but a big offer from Indiana to a kid from Indianapolis would likely be hard to turndown Just another negative about the current state of college basketball. Under the previous sit-out rules, Indiana State would be a legit top 20 team pre-season next year. Instead, despite the opportunity to return everyone, they wll have lost their coach and all of their players to other schools.

They would have lost the coach under the old rules anyway. Now players have the same mobility. It’s up to ISU to figure out how to keep their players to have that legit top 20 teams.

DR has a gift for making arguments, the seed of which I think most people completely agree with (e.g., the Joel is too big; Wake shouldn’t have hired Danny Manning), but presenting them in such a way as to turn those very same people against him. I don’t know what the lawyer/jury analogy is to a doctor’s bedside manner, but we’ve got to work on that, my man (unless you’re just intentionally trying to piss everyone off).

Regarding the Joel, here's a stat that blows my mind. The original Memorial Coliseum opened in 1955 and was replaced by the Joel in 1989. Everyone said the old coliseum was embarrassing, an eyesore, no longer marketable etc... Hooks moved us to GSO because it was such a big problem.

The Joel is now older than the old Memorial Coliseum by approximately two years.

I'm not arguing for/against, just thinking.... "where has time gone?"

Musselman to USC.

Arkansas now open... Could they have some Bucky interest? He's rumored to be on their 'hot' list. Chris Beard is on top, with Jerome Tang, Chris Jans and Porter Moser. I would watch for Will Wade.

I think in the end, a Power V offer would be too much to turn down. But Samford is in his hometown where he played college hoops and coached the top HS program to multiple championships. I think it will be slightly harder to pull him out of there as compared to your typical coach that has no deep ties to their first mid-major stop. I think the facilities are still crap, but Samford is trying.

I'm not joking - Bucky is on a Nate Oats trajectory.
is bucky religious? might feel at home at samford

is arkansas the better job than ole miss? more money?

i would have guessed they were equal

sure but who is taking a job because of what nolan richardson did 30 years ago?

does arkansas have the higher profile and more money now?

they may, it's just not obvious to me that that is the case

Back