• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Looking forward to the season. I have my hotel and flights reserved for Omaha...

Deacs open with Fordham on Friday.

In the A-10 pre-season coaches pool, Fordham was picked to finish 9th in the 12 team league (Davidson was picked to win). The Rams went 19-36 (7-17) last year, and neither of their two all A-10 players from 2023 return. FWIW, Fordham opened the 2023 season at Dallas Baptist (a very good D1 program), and Dallas Baptist swept a three game series from Fordham outscoring the Rams 40 to 6. So, Fordham looks to be up against it in the opener.

FWIW, will be interesting to see how Walter elects to handle the pitching staff for the opening set of games:

Friday: Fordham
Saturday: Illinois
Sunday: Akron
Tuesday: UNCG

Fordham and Akron appear to be very weak teams. Fordham is discussed above, and Akron was picked last in the recent 2024 MAC Baseball coaches poll. Illinois is a solid program and expect to be in the Big 10 mix, and UNCG is a decent program as well. Would guess that Walter will just follow the weekend rotation plan of Hartle, Burns, Massey and then use the current top midweek option for UNCG, but to rank quality of opponent for the first four, it's:

• Illinois
  • UNCG
  • HUGE GAP
  • Fordham
  • Akron

I understand that routine is highly valued for pitchers, but wonder if Walters will consider pitching the scheduled Friday and Saturday pitchers but then flip-flop the Sunday pitcher with the week day pitcher, for this first week only, to better match the quality of the opponents.

Deacs open with Fordham on Friday.

In the A-10 pre-season coaches pool, Fordham was picked to finish 9th in the 12 team league (Davidson was picked to win). The Rams went 19-36 (7-17) last year, and neither of their two all A-10 players from 2023 return. FWIW, Fordham opened the 2023 season at Dallas Baptist (a very good D1 program), and Dallas Baptist swept a three game series from Fordham outscoring the Rams 40 to 6. So, Fordham looks to be up against it in the opener.

FWIW, will be interesting to see how Walter elects to handle the pitching staff for the opening set of games:

Friday: Fordham
Saturday: Illinois
Sunday: Akron
Tuesday: UNCG

Fordham and Akron appear to be very weak teams. Fordham is discussed above, and Akron was picked last in the recent 2024 MAC Baseball coaches poll. Illinois is a solid program and expect to be in the Big 10 mix, and UNCG is a decent program as well. Would guess that Walter will just follow the weekend rotation plan of Hartle, Burns, Massey and then use the current top midweek option for UNCG, but to rank quality of opponent for the first four, it's:

• Illinois
  • UNCG
  • HUGE GAP
  • Fordham
  • Akron
I may be the only one who actually watched a full Fordham game last year, my stepson got his only start of the season against them. They had a couple interesting arms, but as is often the case with mid and low majors, had no command of the strikezone

not to be that guy again, but i don't think we need this thread pinned (the same way we didn't have it pinned last year and we don't have any other similar threads pinned). my eyes naturally skip over pinned threads (i'm guessing i'm not alone) and it's easier to see when there is news / something going on when you naturally see a thread rise to the top based on activity.

not to be that guy again, but i don't think we need this thread pinned (the same way we didn't have it pinned last year and we don't have any other similar threads pinned). my eyes naturally skip over pinned threads (i'm guessing i'm not alone) and it's easier to see when there is news / something going on when you naturally see a thread rise to the top based on activity.
I agree on this one - there’s going to be enough activity that no one is going to need to go searching for this (as opposed to the recruiting threads, where there inherently is no activity for long periods of time).

Done.

First time ever I purchased a season ticket for baseball and really looking forward to this season. I legitimately think this team can make it back to Omaha. Then again, I thought we'd go 8-4 in football so I don't really have a clue.

First time ever I purchased a season ticket for baseball and really looking forward to this season. I legitimately think this team can make it back to Omaha. Then again, I thought we'd go 8-4 in football so I don't really have a clue.
If you are close to the Couch, I think a season ticket for this particular season is a wise investment. It's a stacked squad and you'll get first crack at Regionals/Supers tickets.

There will be no blaming of practice reports if this team starts 4-8.

Back