• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

yah it's all good, I'm going to keep recruiting threads pinned fwiw.. I'm totally fine with this one not being pinned because I assume y'all will keep it active enough to not really fall off much

the only reason we pinned the baseball offseason thread was because it was essentially a recruiting thread there for awhile, will consider that again in the next offseason

How did I miss a 6-9 220lb lefty? Any expectations for that guy?

How did I miss a 6-9 220lb lefty? Any expectations for that guy?
he's a juco transfer right? and has a funky throw?

i think the verdict is out on whether he can throw strikes iirc... need that pitching lab magic

yah it's all good, I'm going to keep recruiting threads pinned fwiw.. I'm totally fine with this one not being pinned because I assume y'all will keep it active enough to not really fall off much

the only reason we pinned the baseball offseason thread was because it was essentially a recruiting thread there for awhile, will consider that again in the next offseason
Was the football one unpinned for a reason?

Oh. I now see that it’s back!

Who is no longer on there?

From my roster count from fall:

NEW:
Luke Schmolke (transfer from GT)
Dylan Zucker (looks like he was on the team in '22 but got cut last year)
Levi Strahm (son of the long-time trainer)

NOT ON ROSTER:
Will Andrews (he showed up on the 2024 transfer portal tracker in December)
Andrew Noland
Charlie Jones (grayshirt / cut last year)
Branden Brown (grayshirt / cut last year)
AJ Camp (incoming frosh)

From my roster count from fall:

NEW:
Luke Schmolke (transfer from GT)
Dylan Zucker (looks like he was on the team in '22 but got cut last year)
Levi Strahm (son of the long-time trainer)

NOT ON ROSTER:
Will Andrews (he showed up on the 2024 transfer portal tracker in December)
Andrew Noland
Charlie Jones (grayshirt / cut last year)
Branden Brown (grayshirt / cut last year)
AJ Camp (incoming frosh)
This about covers it.

Even though Schmolke won't be able to play this season, he still has to take up a roster spot per NCAA rules.

Is that the kid who's brother was pretty good in baton rouge?

Also Kurtz listed as 1B/OF is hilarious to me.

The official website has different positional designations https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/roster, but neither seem correct (e.g. King listed as IF on the pdf while Katz is listed as C on the website).

Most striking to me from the website is that Jeter Polledo and Chase Burns look almost identical. https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/roster/jeter-polledo/8097

Yeah this is interesting to me...Seaver King is going to likely be your everyday CF. I expect Katz to be in one of the corner outfield spots, probably LF.

Is that the kid who's brother was pretty good in baton rouge?

Also Kurtz listed as 1B/OF is hilarious to me.
Kurtz played OF in 2022. He's such a good athlete, he can run and has a good arm; he's a solid RF.

Yeah this is interesting to me...Seaver King is going to likely be your everyday CF. I expect Katz to be in one of the corner outfield spots, probably LF.
Katz, King, Rhino in the OF?

Does that mean Hawke is officially at 2B?

Kurtz played OF in 2022. He's such a good athlete, he can run and has a good arm; he's a solid RF.
I don't doubt his ability. Just find it laughable to consider him anywhere but 1B. Dude is a generational talent at 1B.

If I had to predict Wake's starting lineup for tomorrow:
SP Josh Hartle (confirmed)
C Tate Ballestero
1B Nick Kurtz
2B Austin Hawke
SS Marek Houston
3B Adam Tellier
LF Chris Katz
CF Seaver King
RF Jake Reinisch
DH Jack Winnay (this one I'm a little unsure on...could be Gill or a freshman OF)

If that's the lineup, Deacs going with the vets at all of the spots where there were questions. Who is the leading candidate to be WF's midweek starter?

Back