• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Some very encouraging signs last night. First and foremost the team showed some “fight”. I believe Burns’ intensity helps. They need to find a way to sustain it when Burns is not on the mound. Kurtz is returning to the form we all expected not only at the plate but his 1st base play was outstanding last night. We actually made some plays on defense last night (except the dropped pop up). Finally, the supporting cast on offense is stepping up. Catcher remains a huge concern both defensively and at the plate. Shame on Walter for not finding an ACC level player here especially in light of our pitching staff.

Let’s get Hartle back to form support him with good offense and take game 2.

Some very encouraging signs last night. First and foremost the team showed some “fight”. I believe Burns’ intensity helps. They need to find a way to sustain it when Burns is not on the mound. Kurtz is returning to the form we all expected not only at the plate but his 1st base play was outstanding last night. We actually made some plays on defense last night (except the dropped pop up). Finally, the supporting cast on offense is stepping up. Catcher remains a huge concern both defensively and at the plate. Shame on Walter for not finding an ACC level player here especially in light of our pitching staff.

Let’s get Hartle back to form support him with good offense and take game 2.
I don’t know if it’s shame on Walter like they didn’t even try. Gill and Ballestero were just misses. It’s not like that’s totally obvious.

Also the dropped pop up sucked, but the throw for the tag was a really good play (and probably an out).

Gill on the other hand is objectively terrible at the plate. I hate it for him, he’s just really struggling to adjust to this level.

I appreciate my fellow freshmen OF shareholders. I would be curious how Nelson compares to Costello offensively by season’s end.

costello (corona, too) have sucked at the plate and have subsequently been benched.

my boi gio cueto is having a solid season at stetson though. granted, gill and ballestero both had similar #s last year against slightly higher competition than stetson.

cecere is predictably mashing against bad competition as he’s always done.

Last edited:
Nelson gets on base plenty. I also feel like he fouls off a ton so he’s getting the contact. I think it’ll come together for him. Could be totally wrong there, but his defense and speed on the bases is so valuable.
I really like his swing, for whatever that's worth.

I hope we stick with him, I really think he makes a big jump. Just hopefully sometime this year.

Or we look back two years from now laughing at judging his hitting when he's our stud ace, since he's oddly this short little lefty freshman who can throw mid 90's.

I don’t know if it’s shame on Walter like they didn’t even try. Gill and Ballestero were just misses. It’s not like that’s totally obvious.

Also the dropped pop up sucked, but the throw for the tag was a really good play (and probably an out).
I will continue to stand up for catchers. Pop ups are a nightmare play for catchers. Literally every single one is an adventure for all but the highest level C’s.

Ball coming at you at 90 MPH+. Shift eyes, get out of crouch, remove mask and find a ball that’s coming back down with back spin. I’m amazed they make as many of them look as easy as they do

I will continue to stand up for catchers. Pop ups are a nightmare play for catchers. Literally every single one is an adventure for all but the highest level C’s.

Ball coming at you at 90 MPH+. Shift eyes, get out of crouch, remove mask and find a ball that’s coming back down with back spin. I’m amazed they make as many of them look as easy as they do
Gill didn’t drop the pop up. The entire outfield and Marek Houston didn’t field that.

Where did that giant catcher for VT end up in the portal? Did he stay at VT? This season is very different if we could have gotten that guy.

the giant from VT last year, brody donay, arguably shouldn’t be called a catcher anyway since apparently he’s not good there on defense. he’s at florida now mostly sitting on the bench. he has one start at catcher, other than that DH.

Yeah... Gill up with 2 outs and bases loaded was a pretty predictable strikeout.
His approach was head scratching. A base hit scores 2 and makes it a 5 run game effectively winning it. Yet he takes 3 HR swings. Bizarre. 3rd base coach should have had a chat with him after the first swing.

His approach was head scratching. A base hit scores 2 and makes it a 5 run game effectively winning it. Yet he takes 3 HR swings. Bizarre. 3rd base coach should have had a chat with him after the first swing.
I don’t think he knows how to swing any differently.

the giant from VT last year, brody donay, arguably shouldn’t be called a catcher anyway since apparently he’s not good there on defense. he’s at florida now mostly sitting on the bench. he has one start at catcher, other than that DH.
I’m a big fan of Brody, personally and as a player. Wish we had gotten him

It would be great if King got hot as well. I know everyone loves his “algometrics” and his hard hit outs but I’m hoping we have not seen his best yet. With Rhino and Winnay hitting like they have it is time to start rolling with Kurtz and King.

I consider Kurtz fully BACK.

Get Hartle into All-ACC form, which we know he's very capable of, get King raking, continuous improvement of outfielders and it's a legitimate take that we will be back in Omaha.

None of these things that need to happen are longshots. It would be more of a long shot that they DON'T happen.

Back