• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Oh fucking no.

What did #1 buy us last year?

(And, when did we hit #1?)

It only bought a whole lotta fuck-sticks on here saying Alabama was the worst possible super-regional match up.

Weak ass shit, OGB posters. Weak ass shit.

Facts:

Seaver King is a top 10 draft prospect.

We have the most 1st round talent in NCAA history.

.... If our run production of ~8 runs a game is our problem, I'd like to introduce you fuckers to Josh Hartle and Chase Burns.
Played them same time last year and won 20-2. But, go off.

Not worried. That said, it’s an open question how 5-9 are going do this year, as none of them really played much, or at all, last season. There’s talent there and reason to be optimistic, but I understand why folks are concerned about it. I am pleased that Hawke has hit the ball well so far, as I want Hawke Vibes on this team. I need Hawke Vibes. Reinisch has also been putting together good ABs.

I will say, very little good baseball gets played in February. Guys shaking off rust + cold weather is a tough combo for everyone.

Watched the tail end of that and Vanderbilt lost it more than Dayton won it. Just a complete and utter implosion in all senses of the word

I'd tell myself to fuck off for saying this... but UNCG has an awesome park. Today meant a ton for their program.

Buuuuut, they almost choked it away...

By conference play, the outcome of today should mean more for us.

We 100% have the bats. Nick needs to be Nick at the plate. And, the team needs to learn to win the tough ones.

We need to be OK with blasting teams like Dayton to gain confidence for mid-week games like this.

I'd tell myself to fuck off for saying this... but UNCG has an awesome park. Today meant a ton for their program.

Buuuuut, they almost choked it away...

By conference play, the outcome of today should mean more for us.

We 100% have the bats. Nick needs to be Nick at the plate. And, the team needs to learn to win the tough ones.

We need to be OK with blasting teams like Dayton to gain confidence for mid-week games like this.
Yeah their park is better than the couch for sure

Not worried. That said, it’s an open question how 5-9 are going do this year, as none of them really played much, or at all, last season. There’s talent there and reason to be optimistic, but I understand why folks are concerned about it. I am pleased that Hawke has hit the ball well so far, as I want Hawke Vibes on this team. I need Hawke Vibes. Reinisch has also been putting together good ABs.

I will say, very little good baseball gets played in February. Guys shaking off rust + cold weather is a tough combo for everyone.
Yeah we've got to get some consistency in the lineup batting overall.

Tellier seems solid at the 1, Marek is still a work in progress at the 2, Kurtz/Seaver will get it together.

Beyond that (aside from Hawke at the 9 to flip the lineup), we've got a lot of questions. Katz is by all accounts a great dude/teammate and sounds like he had a decent off-season, but we need him to hit or that spot is going to go to Nelson. Winnay/Tate/Gill have to get going.

It's early, and obviously we are not going to hit homers like we did last year, but we've got to get an offensive identity working and create our own energy. Seems like we're all waiting for somebody else to do it for us (in this extremely limited 4 game sample size).

It's early, and obviously we are not going to hit homers like we did last year, but we've got to get an offensive identity working and create our own energy. Seems like we're all waiting for somebody else to do it for us (in this extremely limited 4 game sample size).
I dunno. Baseball is just a super high variance sport and "trying harder" doesn't really do anything for you at the plate. So I can't really agree with this premise. Barring guys being overly conservative on the basepaths, or not going for a ball thinking someone else will get to it in the field. It's not a sport where you really "wait for somebody else" to do something. If anything in baseball it's the opposite...trying to do too much at the plate.

Not talking about us trying harder or anything at the plate. We're super talented and we have the hitting philosophy that wins over the course of the season.

It just feels like we're "flatter" emotionally, which may be a result of us not starting hot with the bats more than anything.

i've said this before but being a big fan of a high-variance sport would be maddening for me

I dunno. Baseball is just a super high variance sport and "trying harder" doesn't really do anything for you at the plate. So I can't really agree with this premise. Barring guys being overly conservative on the basepaths, or not going for a ball thinking someone else will get to it in the field. It's not a sport where you really "wait for somebody else" to do something. If anything in baseball it's the opposite...trying to do too much at the plate.

Yeah, I would guess attempting to try harder is exactly what gets players in trouble. Coaching baseball players seems tough.

Yeah we've got to get some consistency in the lineup batting overall.

Tellier seems solid at the 1, Marek is still a work in progress at the 2, Kurtz/Seaver will get it together.

Beyond that (aside from Hawke at the 9 to flip the lineup), we've got a lot of questions. Katz is by all accounts a great dude/teammate and sounds like he had a decent off-season, but we need him to hit or that spot is going to go to Nelson. Winnay/Tate/Gill have to get going.

The back end of our lineup last year was borderline terrible for much of the season. We really miss Johnson more than almost anyone. Just gotta find some pop. So many of those warning track shots last night probably clear the fence in April.

Hitting is hard when it is colder, and the timing typically takes a little longer than pitching. If not hitting when it turns warmer then I would be concerned

The back end of our lineup last year was borderline terrible for much of the season. We really miss Johnson more than almost anyone. Just gotta find some pop. So many of those warning track shots last night probably clear the fence in April.
Statistically but I watched a lot of games when the back end produced when the top didn’t and that got us some wins. Last year was freakishly good and alot went our way. Totally possible we have more talent this year and don’t end ranked as high as last year. I just hope we host a super and peak at the right time. It’s easy to discount yesterday but midweek games have been an Achilles heel in the past. When you have goals like this team should have then all the games matter.

Who all did we lose from last year who had eligibility, and of these, which ones were drafted? Costello, Cecere, Bennett, etc

Back