• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

So we would be the #10 seed in the ACCT if my math is correct. I still fear that not improving this will be difficult for a national seed. It’s hard to give the #10 seed in a conference a top 16 seed in the nation.

So we would be the #10 seed in the ACCT if my math is correct. I still fear that not improving this will be difficult for a national seed. It’s hard to give the #10 seed in a conference a top 16 seed in the nation.
Alabama was the 9 seed in last year’s SEC tournament. Went 2-2 at that event.

Kentucky was the 8 seed. They went 0-1, losing to Bama. Both got national seeds. Not saying WF is in the clear, but both of those happened last year.

The one pitch away from winning the uva series is what keeps hurting me the most.
Oof. Yeah. Add that one in and we pick up two more conference series and we're in second all alone.

Getting swept at home by unc is probably the worst memory on the year for me, though. F those guys.

I know it sucks to think about, but we were at one point 4-8 in conference. Things could’ve really gone off the rails. We’re still not playing to our potential, but at least we’re In position to do something positive like host a regional/super regional despite that disappointing start.

I know it sucks to think about, but we were at one point 4-8 in conference. Things could’ve really gone off the rails. We’re still not playing to our potential, but at least we’re In position to do something positive like host a regional/super regional despite that disappointing start.
Interesting that going from national #1 to 10th in our conference is not going off the rails but I think I know what you mean. Thank god for metrics and polls otherwise we'd be screwed.

Kidding aside it's hard for me to not be disappointed with this season. About the best thing I can say is that we've faired pretty decently for a team with one legit starting pitcher. Hosting a regional would have been the floor for this season and then some. Hopefully we host. Hopefully we can piece together enough pitchers for two games to move on. It may take all the ones we have left. WCU is terrible. I hope it gave us some confidence but it's not a good measure of our pitching.

Yeah, at least we aren’t LSU, Florida, or Vandy. Probably normal for baseball but a shocking number of top preseason teams haven’t lived up to it.

Interesting that going from national #1 to 10th in our conference is not going off the rails but I think I know what you mean. Thank god for metrics and polls otherwise we'd be screwed.

Kidding aside it's hard for me to not be disappointed with this season. About the best thing I can say is that we've faired pretty decently for a team with one legit starting pitcher. Hosting a regional would have been the floor for this season and then some. Hopefully we host. Hopefully we can piece together enough pitchers for two games to move on. It may take all the ones we have left. WCU is terrible. I hope it gave us some confidence but it's not a good measure of our pitching.
I wonder what the correct preseason ranking should have been and where that would put expectations/feelings about the season? I feel like squarely around 10 was probably correct.

I wonder what the correct preseason ranking should have been and where that would put expectations/feelings about the season? I feel like squarely around 10 was probably correct.
Yeah, I enjoyed all the hype coming off last year and the build up to this year. It was fun to get that kind of attention. I think media had to rank us #1 because of who we brought back and transferred in. I thought it was pretty clear though that we would probably look better on paper than in the wins column this year. Honestly we struggled a bit more than I even thought. I would have said we should be a top 10 team all season. I don't think we've played like one for most of the season. That's about the level of my disappointment. I would be disappointed about not hosting and winning a regional. I think going to Omaha and making a run is a reasonable hope for a consensus preseason #1. It was clear that was a stretch by the end of the pre-conference portion of the season. Everything else has been adjustments of expectations.

If we got the starting pitching we expected we would be a top 8 seed. No doubt. Admittedly those were high expectations.

The Katz situation is minor in comparison, but I thought he would contribute this year. I might be the only one but I also thought Ariola would take a step forward this season and he has thrown like 5 innings.

Individually I cannot say anyone else has not lived up to expectations. Maybe the catcher spot.

If we got the starting pitching we expected we would be a top 8 seed. No doubt. Admittedly those were high expectations.

The Katz situation is minor in comparison, but I thought he would contribute this year. I might be the only one but I also thought Ariola would take a step forward this season and he has thrown like 5 inning.
I think that's fair. If Hartle and Massey had been anywhere close to last year we probably have at least 5 more wins?

Question: I'm going to have a big group tailgating on Friday about an hour before the game (mix of W-S locals, Wake and Clemson fans). Does anyone know if there are any porta potties outside of the stadium in the parking lots? I have to pee already. 🍺

In 2024, WF is 2-6 in Josh Hartle's ACC regular season starts. In those 8 games, WF has scored 56 runs. That's an average of 7 runs scored per ACC start. WF has scored at least 3 in every Hartle start.

In 2023, WF was 8-2 in Josh Hartle's ACC regular season starts. In those 10 games, WF scored 59 runs or just less than 6 runs per start (that included 17 runs against Pitt). Last year, WF, with Hartle on the mound, won ACC games with scores of 4-1, 5-3, 6-3, 4-2.

If Hartle had not improved, but just pitched to last year's level, WF would have at least 3 more conference wins. Impossible to predict that kind of regression from a pitcher that looked to be improving to the point where he was a consensus 1st round MLB draft pick.

In 2024, WF is 2-6 in Josh Hartle's ACC regular season starts. In those 8 games, WF has scored 56 runs. That's an average of 7 runs scored per ACC start. WF has scored at least 3 in every Hartle start.

In 2023, WF was 8-2 in Josh Hartle's ACC regular season starts. In those 10 games, WF scored 59 runs or just less than 6 runs per start (that included 17 runs against Pitt). Last year, WF, with Hartle on the mound, won ACC games with scores of 4-1, 5-3, 6-3, 4-2.

If Hartle had not improved, but just pitched to last year's level, WF would have at least 3 more conference wins. Impossible to predict that kind of regression from a pitcher that looked to be improving to the point where he was a consensus 1st round MLB draft pick.

I was just looking up the same stuff. If you include all starts against power teams, we went 10-3. We went 10-0 in games we scored at least three runs.

We might still be #1 if Hartle was pitching as well as last season.

Back