• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Biggest disappointment to me down the stretch has been the defense especially the infield defense....didn't see that coming given the talent.
Been saying this all year. Think it’s a major reason for Hartle’s regression.

Fellas, you have until Wednesday to put enough charge in those crystals to last 4 games. Even if you miserable sacks of shit need to cry your way through it, the team needs us up lube up a finger or two and help them it. If you need an accountability partner, PM @BeachBumDeac he has a zoom meeting on standby.

Last year's team had a terrific run and except for LSU's Tommy the Tank who hailed from NC State I thought we had the juice to go all the way. This year's team has been disappointing in so many ways. My only hope that this year's crew are saving their best for post season.

Hartle's strikeout rate is down from 27.4% to 22.7%, his walk rate is up from 5.4% to 8.4%. His GB rate is down from 58.6% to 52.7% and his HR allowed is way up as well. xFIP is up from 3.61 to 4.87.

There are some advanced fielding stats now, not sure how accurate, but last year we ended up with 28.7 infield runs saved across the season (inclusive of grounders, double plays, pop-ups and bunts). So far this year, we are at 17.4 infield runs saved. So not quite as good as last year, but overall our infield defense has still been a pretty solid positive. Easy to remember the Houston error from yesterday, but we also made several really good plays (at least four come to mind)

Last edited:
Playing Pitt Wednesday at 3. UNC Friday at 7.
Glad we didn't get a Tues/Thur draw or my head would be exploding envisioning the incoming tweet from Walter saying " Falco is going Wednesday with Shenosky on Friday. Burns is available on Sat if needed. "

Hartle's strikeout rate is down from 27.4% to 22.7%, his walk rate is up from 5.4% to 8.4%. His GB rate is down from 58.6% to 52.7% and his HR allowed is way up as well. xFIP is up from 3.61 to 4.87.

There are some advanced fielding stats now, not sure how accurate, but last year we ended up with 28.7 infield runs saved across the season (inclusive of grounders, double plays, pop-ups and bunts). So far this year, we are at 17.4 infield runs saved. So not quite as good as last year, but overall our infield defense has still been a pretty solid positive. Easy to remember the Houston error from yesterday, but we also made several really good plays (at least four come to mind)
Even last year think about how many times Hartle was in trouble and got a double play or an easy grounder. He’s always given up contact. I think he’s been an off this year. But Hartle requires good luck on grounders and good infield play to be successful.

Thinking back about the season, I as disappointed as everyone here. However , in retrospect, we were probably over rated. We lost 10 players, our best pitcher, other productive pitchers and some talented players. Look at LSU and other top teams from last year that have dropped. My personal opinion is that one can point to different problems in the games we lost, but IMHO the recurring problems were a bad Hartle vs. an effective Hartle(still don't understand why so many defend him and make excuses for him). Other factors obviously were a bad bullpen, lack of 0ne or two dependable starting pitchers and no offense from the 7-9 batters. Even as much as I love Kurtz, his numbers were down and even our leading hitters often left too many runners on base. Finally, and I will probably catch hell for this, I feel much of the criticism against Walter was un-deserved. As is the case with most managers and coaches, they get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing. It's easy to too be critical of every decision but the reality of it is that it is the player that influences the decision. If he is successful, the coach is a genius, if not he is a fool. Looking at his record I think he has been more successful and taken us further than many of our other coaches. In summary, I think we have a good team but not a great one. Hopefully some things will come together and we can make some noise in the post season. The above represents the sole opinions of the author and any mistakes are mine and mine only.

Thinking back about the season, I as disappointed as everyone here. However , in retrospect, we were probably over rated. We lost 10 players, our best pitcher, other productive pitchers and some talented players. Look at LSU and other top teams from last year that have dropped. My personal opinion is that one can point to different problems in the games we lost, but IMHO the recurring problems were a bad Hartle vs. an effective Hartle(still don't understand why so many defend him and make excuses for him). Other factors obviously were a bad bullpen, lack of 0ne or two dependable starting pitchers and no offense from the 7-9 batters. Even as much as I love Kurtz, his numbers were down and even our leading hitters often left too many runners on base. Finally, and I will probably catch hell for this, I feel much of the criticism against Walter was un-deserved. As is the case with most managers and coaches, they get too much credit for winning and too much blame for losing. It's easy to too be critical of every decision but the reality of it is that it is the player that influences the decision. If he is successful, the coach is a genius, if not he is a fool. Looking at his record I think he has been more successful and taken us further than many of our other coaches. In summary, I think we have a good team but not a great one. Hopefully some things will come together and we can make some noise in the post season. The above represents the sole opinions of the author and any mistakes are mine and mine only.
Criticism against college coaches is always more deserved than criticism of pro coaches. If we are lacking in pitching or the bottom of the order sucks then those are on him, not some General Manager. He is in charge of assembling the team.

Last edited:
Didn't Muscara said they made changes to Hartle's motion to increase velocity? But the velocity increase was small and it hurt the location of breaking balls. Swear I read that in the article about Burn's recruitment.

Didn't Muscara said they made changes to Hartle's motion to increase velocity? But the velocity increase was small and it hurt the location of breaking balls. Swear I read that in the article about Burn's recruitment.
Yes, it was in a recent article in the Athletic.

Back