• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

I mean, hartle was great last year. He's just gotta get back to that form

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

He set a school record for strikeouts until Lowder broke it. If our biggest problem is Hartle figuring it out, we’ll be great.

LSU’s bullpen was terrible last year until postseason.

That's about the most Wake Foresty injury i've ever heard.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice win! Saw a shot of Massey standing up in the dugout, so at least he’s not bedridden with back muscle spasms or something. Hopefully he can make it and has a good start tomorrow.

So I’ve purposely not as much so far this year but have noticed the negative posters only post when things are not going great. Am I to assume that they only get pegged when we lose so they are hoping for losses?
I mean, FAIR, but if you haven't been conditioned to expect the worst are you really even a Wake fan?

Nice win! Saw a shot of Massey standing up in the dugout, so at least he’s not bedridden with back muscle spasms or something. Hopefully he can make it and has a good start tomorrow.
Towards the end of the game the tv announcers said it was his hamstring and didn’t even mention a back problem? That was the first I had heard of him having a leg issue

Towards the end of the game the tv announcers said it was his hamstring and didn’t even mention a back problem? That was the first I had heard of him having a leg issue

I feel like they got confused with the Houston injury.

don’t disagree — but what does that actually mean specifically?

we’ve lost both starts on friday, but come back at won on saturday. so it hasn’t hurt us there.

if burns won his friday starts and hartle lost saturday, we’re again right back where we started.

so it seems like it comes down to hartle pitching better on saturday (with a 1-0 series lead). i can buy that, but don’t think it’s a slam dunk. maybe he’s a guy who would be better left in his routine. or whose confidence is already fragile.

maybe there are other areas too. some may have tiny impacts that add up (i’m skeptical based on the studies i’ve read, but they haven’t tested everything and stuff changes)

my point is that i think there are pros and cons. but overall i don’t think it would make a noticeable difference.
I think winning the first game gives a mindset of let’s get one out of two left. Taking an L on Friday is demoralizing and leaves you needing to win two. Feeling like you gotta to 1-1 Saturday Sunday is way better thank k won’t you gotta go 2-0. And playing with a win is a huge mojo bump the rest of the weekend.

bilbo-baggins-running.gif

I think winning the first game gives a mindset of let’s get one out of two left. Taking an L on Friday is demoralizing and leaves you needing to win two. Feeling like you gotta to 1-1 Saturday Sunday is way better thank k won’t you gotta go 2-0. And playing with a win is a huge mojo bump the rest of the weekend.

yeah this is certainly logical and seems plausible, not disagreeing with that. but given we’ve ended up 1-1 after the hartle and burns starts the first two series, where would the difference be?

is winning the first better and losing the second better than vice-versa? its possible, but i think you’d struggle to find evidence to support that.

the other argument is that maybe we’d be better than 2-2 if we swapped the two. but our offense has been solid in the saturday games. maybe it could be better, but that’s again a bit of a stretch imo.

If one starter has a 2.31 ERA and the other is 6+, as is currently the case:

Don't you want the starter with the far superior ERA going against the better pitcher* on Friday? This is theory gives you a far better chance of winning the low-scoring game on Friday, and winning a high-scoring affair on Saturday

*this presumes that other teams are also pitching their best pitcher on Friday

If you have two dudes who are middle of the pack (ish) I could see an argument for pitching the slightly better one on Saturday hoping to go 1-1 at worst; and maybe steal a win if the other team's ace falters Friday

yeah this is certainly logical and seems plausible, not disagreeing with that. but given we’ve ended up 1-1 after the hartle and burns starts the first two series, where would the difference be?

is winning the first better and losing the second better than vice-versa? its possible, but i think you’d struggle to find evidence to support that.

the other argument is that maybe we’d be better than 2-2 if we swapped the two. but our offense has been solid in the saturday games. maybe it could be better, but that’s again a bit of a stretch imo.
Yeah I can see what you are saying with how things have played out so far. Starting off 1 game up in the series though just allows for a different mindset. More free flow and confidence rather than tightness and pressure because now you have no margin for error and need the next two. Maybe there are no stats or studies for such things but playing ahead generally provides for better outcomes than playing from behind in a series. I think if Burns leads off and continues to do what he has thus far that his swag can become contagious and get things rolling. Hartle could loosen up and not press to be this years lead off dude and maybe his stuff comes back? It’s all armchair stuff but worth considering.

Back