• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Nice win! Saw a shot of Massey standing up in the dugout, so at least he’s not bedridden with back muscle spasms or something. Hopefully he can make it and has a good start tomorrow.
Announcers today said it was a hamstring. Didn't hear Walter mention this but may have just missed it.

Yeah I can see what you are saying with how things have played out so far. Starting off 1 game up in the series though just allows for a different mindset. More free flow and confidence rather than tightness and pressure because now you have no margin for error and need the next two. Maybe there are no stats or studies for such things but playing ahead generally provides for better outcomes than playing from behind in a series. I think if Burns leads off and continues to do what he has thus far that his swag can become contagious and get things rolling. Hartle could loosen up and not press to be this years lead off dude and maybe his stuff comes back? It’s all armchair stuff but worth considering.
Again, announcers said they spoke to coaches regarding Hartle and said they are working on tweaks to 2 of his pitches. They are hopeful for correction. I think they alluded to the pitching lab as helping identify the problems.

Last edited:
If one starter has a 2.31 ERA and the other is 6+, as is currently the case:

Don't you want the starter with the far superior ERA going against the better pitcher* on Friday? This is theory gives you a far better chance of winning the low-scoring game on Friday, and winning a high-scoring affair on Saturday

*this presumes that other teams are also pitching their best pitcher on Friday

If you have two dudes who are middle of the pack (ish) I could see an argument for pitching the slightly better one on Saturday hoping to go 1-1 at worst; and maybe steal a win if the other team's ace falters Friday

apologies to everyone for continuing this discussion that must feel annoying and academic. for some reason i enjoy it.

anyway.
this actually isn’t true — for example, in sports like tennis where you pre-select your lineup, it’s actually advantageous to not play your best players in order assuming the opponent is (it’s called “stacking”) snd they try to prevent teams from doing it.

again, i’m not trying to suggest that there aren’t legitimate reasons why you could suggest burns would be better on friday than hartle. however (to my wife’s chagrin) i dislike vague statements and generalities that don’t actually stand up to objective evidence / investigation.

i know since we have started off worse than expected we are bargaining for explanations, but i find most of them are not super legit. and the order our weekend starting pitchers go out is, to me, the embodiment of a 99% meaningless decision (at least in the context the info we fans have) that is irrationally cling on to.

i think we feel better if the team we like could/should have been better but is being held back by the refs/coaches/admins/other fans making threads/etc.

^apologies for this bullshit, i think im still drunk

Last edited:
apologies to everyone for continuing this discussion that must feel annoying and academic. for some reason i enjoy it.

anyway.
this actually isn’t true — for example, in sports like tennis where you pre-select your lineup, it’s actually advantageous to not play your best players in order assuming the opponent is (it’s called “stacking”) snd they try to prevent teams from doing it.

again, i’m not trying to suggest that there aren’t legitimate reasons why you could suggest burns would be better on friday than hartle. however (to my wife’s chagrin) i dislike vague statements and generalities that don’t actually stand up to objective evidence / investigation.

i know since we have started off worse than expected we are bargaining for explanations, but i find most of them are not super legit. and the order our weekend starting pitchers go out is, to me, the embodiment of a 99% meaningless decision (at least in the context the info we fans have) that is irrationally cling on to.

i think we feel better if the team we like could/should have been better but is being held back by the refs/coaches/admins/other fans making threads/etc.
I love the data analysis of this and support it fully. I usually am not a soft factor guy, but in talking to college baseball players, it matters to them. Feeling like they have their stud Friday so they only have to split Saturday Sunday gives a level of confidence. No evidence to support it works or matters…but it’s something to consider

anyway.

^apologies for this bullshit, i think im still drunk
Tennis was actually what I was thinking of in my example, and yes, if you have two average-ish players, stacking is probably a good idea. But if you have a clear advantage, which i assume Burns is, and if the other teams aren’t stacking, which I listed as a precondition, then going Burns is probably best.

I love the data analysis of this and support it fully. I usually am not a soft factor guy, but in talking to college baseball players, it matters to them. Feeling like they have their stud Friday so they only have to split Saturday Sunday gives a level of confidence. No evidence to support it works or matters…but it’s something to consider

I am a gigantic soft factor guy too.
and agree swapping your friday and saturday starters has potentially big implications on that stuff.

I think my post did a bad job of stating this.

My point is that we have no idea how these specific kids on the team react to stuff like that and there are hundreds of pros and cons that are associated with it. So to suggest we must make a move like that, where the impact is purely psychological on kids we don’t know, is where I think fans lose it a bit.

True, but not referring to the specific diagnosis

Back