• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Understand the sentiment, though I do think it was notable he said he may have done the Katz at-bat over and kept Williams in.
I get that possibly Katz has looked better in practice but why test that out in this situation? He could have hit midweek or late in one of the Louisville games. The fact that it is something different that seems to bite this team every game/series gives me little hope. Not sure what else he could say about Kurtz. This one not on Walter. Can’t imagine what’s going through Nick’s head right now with the expectations, upcoming draft, season long slump, etc. I feel for the guy.

Understand the sentiment, though I do think it was notable he said he may have done the Katz at-bat over and kept Williams in.
Too late now though unfortunately …..maybe he will get a 2nd chance tomorrow when down 14-10 when up in 9th….

I get that possibly Katz has looked better in practice but why test that out in this situation? He could have hit midweek or late in one of the Louisville games. The fact that it is something different that seems to bite this team every game/series gives me little hope. Not sure what else he could say about Kurtz. This one not on Walter. Can’t imagine what’s going through Nick’s head right now with the expectations, upcoming draft, season long slump, etc. I feel for the guy.
Sounds like he wasn't even hoping that Katz would hit the ball - was hoping that we would walk, because the pitcher had just walked another right handed batter. I just don't get why having Katz hit for Williams would even enter his mind. Especially given the situation - bases loaded, down one run, and UNC had just made two errors. Outside of a .400 hitter, the next best thing would be to have a fast runner that usually makes contact. And that's exactly what he had up ... and then took him out for the worst contact hitter on the team.

Essex is doing an amazing job.

I've never met him... But, I hope that he keeps up the good work...

This team ain't dead, and there are a ton of stories to follow.

ETA: tonight was the stuff of nightmares. How, why, what. My God, I can't sleep. UNC tried to hand us a gift.

Last edited:
As to how we’re still ranked, please try to watch some more teams play college baseball. We’ve got plenty of obvious problems but a one run loss to a team that’s won more than 20 games and hits .318 overall isn’t indicative of not deserving to be ranked.

The ACC is really freaking good and our schedule is absolutely brutal.

As to how we’re still ranked, please try to watch some more teams play college baseball. We’ve got plenty of obvious problems but a one run loss to a team that’s won more than 20 games and hits .318 overall isn’t indicative of not deserving to be ranked.

The ACC is really freaking good and our schedule is absolutely brutal.

We're well on our way to losing our third acc series of the four we've played. No way to really make that seem good. Add in a loss to coastal. This team has beaten exactly no one. We're not very good. We can be. But currently we aren't

Trying to recall if we've had a single, signature "clutch" win this season, i.e. the type you use to build momentum.

Trying to recall if we've had a single, signature "clutch" win this season, i.e. the type you use to build momentum.
I thought perhaps the Louisville game last Friday might provide a spark but it was only temporary. I know the 8 and 9 hole have been rough but until Kurtz and King ( I catch grief with King but he takes a lot of collars for such a heralded player ) get hot there is no way to go on a sustained winning streak. It’s going to be win a game, think things are turned around and then lose a close one and perseverate on the little things. Wake is not going to be a Regional host unless the heart of the lineup picks it up substantially. No better time than today.

We're well on our way to losing our third acc series of the four we've played. No way to really make that seem good. Add in a loss to coastal. This team has beaten exactly no one. We're not very good. We can be. But currently we aren't
LSU is 2-6 at the start of sec play. Are they not one of the best 25 teams in baseball? Context matters sometimes.

This team clearly isn’t as complete, polished, experienced, or even good as last year. Last year was also historically great. Just happened to run into historically greater and was a taint hair of a tag at home away from knocking them off.

There’s more season left. Gotta avoid digging two deep a hole for sure, but this team is still good.

FSU lost to Louisville yesterday. VT lost to Pitt. Tennessee got run ruled by uga. Oregon State got whooped by USC. Oklahoma lost to some guy named Lamar.

Baseball is weird. Still have a chance to win this series.

I thought perhaps the Louisville game last Friday might provide a spark but it was only temporary. I know the 8 and 9 hole have been rough but until Kurtz and King ( I catch grief with King but he takes a lot of collars for such a heralded player ) get hot there is no way to go on a sustained winning streak. It’s going to be win a game, think things are turned around and then lose a close one and perseverate on the little things. Wake is not going to be a Regional host unless the heart of the lineup picks it up substantially. No better time than today.
Agree with this.

This team seems to be the complete opposite of last year. Last year we seemed to have a quiet confidence which translated into clutch plays at winning time. This year’s team seems to have confidence but it comes across as cockiness which translates into choking at winning time. It seems they enjoyed reading about themselves in the offseason and really lack any sense of urgency. Our coaches have also done a shitty job of keeping them focused and then you throw in some idiotic coaching decisions like last night and here we are.

It may be too late to turn it “on” at this point but it has to start with our stars Hartle and Kurtz playing like stars. I hope the start of the season has been humbling to both and they get back to the hard work and focus that made them projected first rounders. They are costing themselves some serious $$ and the team will not reach expectations without them.

This team seems to be the complete opposite of last year. Last year we seemed to have a quiet confidence which translated into clutch plays at winning time. This year’s team seems to have confidence but it comes across as cockiness which translates into choking at winning time. It seems they enjoyed reading about themselves in the offseason and really lack any sense of urgency. Our coaches have also done a shitty job of keeping them focused and then you throw in some idiotic coaching decisions like last night and here we are.

It may be too late to turn it “on” at this point but it has to start with our stars Hartle and Kurtz playing like stars. I hope the start of the season has been humbling to both and they get back to the hard work and focus that made them projected first rounders. They are costing themselves some serious $$ and the team will not reach expectations without them.
Agree with this. Baseball is not like other sports in the sense that you just can’t really try harder. In hoops you can call timeout and pick up the effort level. Baseball seems to be more about preparation, mindset, situational execution, etc. The team needs to see something good happen.

Feel compelled to say I hate pretty much every sentence of this post.

The main thing to me is that the team doesn’t appear to be having much fun. I know it’s more fun to win, but last year’s team seemed much closer as a group of friends.

The main thing to me is that the team doesn’t appear to be having much fun. I know it’s more fun to win, but last year’s team seemed much closer as a group of friends.

Like 30 of them all shaved their heads and together. They recorded a Christmas mixtape. They seem to have plenty of fun. Just losing sucks.

Back