• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Watching the replay now, but did Stan say anything about Roland only throwing breaking pitches? He only threw 1 fastball at 91. Everything else was off speed.

Good win. One of our best of the year. Here's our record vs top 100 teams:

#3 North Carolina: 0-3
#14 Virginia: 1-2
#17 Duke: 1-2
#22 Coastal Carolina: 0-1
#51 Georgetown: 1-0
#74 UNC Greensboro: 1-1
#87 Illinois: 1-0

That's 4-9 vs the top #100. 14-1 vs everyone else. I don't know a ton about the at-large selection process for college baseball, but that does not seem like a tournament resume to me.

We do still have games against:
#26 Virginia Tech (3)
#22 Coastal Carolina (1)
#37 Boston College (3)
#63 UNC Wilmington (1)
#2 Florida State (3)
#30 Notre Dame (3)
#72 Appalachian State (1)
#1 Clemson (3)

So, that's 18 more chances at top #100 wins. Can we win 10?

What an absolute meat-grinder of a schedule.

Our SOS is already #6. Can't imagine it'll be dropping.

I feel like we need:

● to win 2 of these 3 road series:
@VT, @BC, and @ND

● And, no more getting swept.

That's should be good enough to make the tournament.... even if we shit the bed in a mid-week or two.

IMO, we need to be more focused on getting back towards a national seed. Three wins in Blacksburg would be huge.

That's 4-9 vs the top #100. 14-1 vs everyone else. I don't know a ton about the at-large selection process for college baseball, but that does not seem like a tournament resume to me.

#26 Virginia Tech (3)
#22 Coastal Carolina (1)
#37 Boston College (3)
#63 UNC Wilmington (1)
#2 Florida State (3)
#30 Notre Dame (3)
#1 Clemson (3)

You left NCSU off the list. Every ACC team excluding Louisville is in the top 100 of the RPI. All but Pitt and GT are top 50.

Aside from Louisville, the worst ACC teams according to RPI are Pitt, GT, and Miami. WF doesn’t play those teams.

Hopefully the thread title question “What did we do to deserve this?” will reverse-uno into the happy question you ask after you’ve won a championship… “What did we do to deserve THIS?!”

Of course, as Wake fans, the answer would be “plenty.”

Hopefully the thread title question “What did we do to deserve this?” will reverse-uno into the happy question you ask after you’ve won a championship… “What did we do to deserve THIS?!”

Of course, as Wake fans, the answer would be “plenty.”

The answer is the multiple threads, but I think Roland snorted that bad juju away.

#26 Virginia Tech (3)
#22 Coastal Carolina (1)
#37 Boston College (3)
#63 UNC Wilmington (1)
#2 Florida State (3)
#30 Notre Dame (3)
#1 Clemson (3)

Oh boy, another countdown of how many "Quad 1" opportunities we have left. It's like Deja Vu all over again.

Oh boy, another countdown of how many "Quad 1" opportunities we have left. It's like Deja Vu all over again.
Except, unlike basketball, ACC baseball gets the benefit of the doubt from the committee, and WF baseball will have played an exceptionally difficult schedule (in addition, WF may get some points for last year's run and the pre-season ranking). Put another way, there are reasons to think that if WF baseball is on the bubble, it will have some advantages that WF basketball does not. Even so, Deacs need to win some ACC series.

I still have much higher expectations for this team than just making the damn tournament.

The results haven't been there yet, but this is still an incredibly talented squad. If Wade and Roland are going to be reliable, then the biggest weakness on the team just got a huge boost.

I still have much higher expectations for this team than just making the damn tournament.

The results haven't been there yet, but this is still an incredibly talented squad. If Wade and Roland are going to be reliable, then the biggest weakness on the team just got a huge boost.

This. The pen injuries have been huge.

Except, unlike basketball, ACC baseball gets the benefit of the doubt from the committee, and WF baseball will have played an exceptionally difficult schedule (in addition, WF may get some points for last year's run and the pre-season ranking). Put another way, there are reasons to think that if WF baseball is on the bubble, it will have some advantages that WF basketball does not. Even so, Deacs need to win some ACC series.

Also any and all CBB media know every detail about Kurtz and Massey’s injury, Houston missing games, and the battered bullpen.

Generally speaking, I think college baseball media are much better at their jobs than BKB and probably make a hell of a lot less.

Any sickos making the trip to Blacksburg? Thinking about Friday for Burns (if that's gonna stay).

Even if its against my better judgement.

Any sickos making the trip to Blacksburg? Thinking about Friday for Burns (if that's gonna stay).

Also considering, but the weather looks shitty and cold.

Hopefully Javar. Also hope he’s better by then.

Back