• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2nd half defense

From the comments section in the BSD game recap article. Not sure if accurate.

In the last 5 minutes of ND, NCST, Syracuse, and Duke, WF’s opponents have had 35 possessions and scored 65 points.That’s 1.86 points per possession with the game on the line.

Consider that if those teams played against air, they would have had 70 points (35 dunks), and you get the point

That is unbelievably bad.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2017/2...-final-score-demon-deacons-irish-john-collins

It's not just personnel if we are giving up 40-60% more points in the 2nd half and particularly breaking down in the last 5 minutes.

That stat is hilarious. I don't care whether it's inaccurate, it feels right

That stat is hilarious. I don't care whether it's inaccurate, it feels right

Truthiness.

I think Danny and Ron should petition the NCAA for a rule change to end games after 30:00. Our record would be much better.

The more often you attack a mismatch, the more likely you will succeed. Posters are always talking about getting the ball to Collins more as he is better than the guy who is covering him. The same posters don't accept the fact that the more opponents get the ball to their players who are better our guys who are covering them, the more the opponent will score.

If it works for us, it works for opponents.

Would a 3-2 zone work with Collins and Moore playing together? I know moore spells Collins but I think those two should play together some. Moore's defense was decent last night

Halftime margin in our 10 losses:

Villanova: -10
NW: +1
Xavier: +1
FSU: +1
Clemson: +5
UVA: +1
UNC: -15
Cuse: +3
Duke: +10
ND: +5

What defense? Bottom line is that we don't defend well enough to beat good teams. We don't ever make adjustments, change defenses to upset offensive rhythm,or play consistently hard enough on defense. Manning doesn't demand it.

Or they are not executing. Or are not athletic/good enough defenders.

That stat is pretty accurate. IIRC correctly dook scored on it's last 8 possessions, ND scored on 11 of 12. That's not that they make every shot but they score every time they come down in the 4-6 minutes of the game. We are giving them good looks, not getting rebounds when they rarely miss or fouling them.

That is not a recipe for success.

That stat is pretty accurate. IIRC correctly dook scored on it's last 8 possessions, ND scored on 11 of 12. That's not that they make every shot but they score every time they come down in the 4-6 minutes of the game. We are giving them good looks, not getting rebounds when they rarely miss or fouling them.

That is not a recipe for success.

Duke scored 14 points on their final 5 possessions too.

Teams are also playing their best lineups in the last five minutes, exposing our weaknesses.

Beachem hit some really tough shots.

That scoring on possessions is a little distorted last night as from 1:45 to the end of the game -6 possessions- 4 of them were fouls to extend the game.

Assistants make suggestions, particularly the scout coach. But in general the staff will have a game plan to execute ready from the beginning with a few defensive options listed out in case the primary defensive plan isnt working.

In general we are just a poor defensive collection of players. Our guards are short and our big men are slow. Collins and Crawford are our only two players with the size and speed to really lock down their respective positions. But collins still is a poor defender and Crawford loses focus at times. Chill is getting there but he is undersized. Wilbekin, arians, Dino's are hilariously bad defenders and woods is just a step slow. Moore made two bad decisions while I was eating breakfast this morning at 5am because that is what he does.

ND killed us by simply shooting over the top of us or exposing our lack of mobility. It's a bad matchup for us. We played well enough to win. ND hit a ton of contested threes in the second half.

We are going to win by out scoring teams this year. Might as well settle into that. I did think that our defense was better in the second ha,f than the first half for large stretches and ND just torched us. We really missed McClinton last night. I am not he biggest McClinton fan but he would have really helped at the 4 spot or might have allowed us to go 1-3-1 with him at the top. You can't have a midget at the top of a 1-3-1 because it allows the other team to rotate he ball too easily. 1-3-1 has been the best zone defensive scheme I have see us in this year but it is really reliant on McClinton playing the top.

Frustrating loss last night but that is why it is hard to win on the road. ND had to win that game. Just a bad spot for our team.

This post pretty much nails it. When ND wasn't hitting their open shots they were hitting contested ones. After watching them brick open shot after open shot against other teams it's frustrating to see, but maybe that's just the kind of confidence we inspire in other teams since these outlier performances seem to keep finding us as the punching bag.

We pretty much knew Beachem and Vasturia were going to hurt us last night. We lost Farrell too many times... But man did Bonzie just torch us. 10/16 and 2/2 from deep? He averages .5 threes per game at 33%. He made 4 more buckets than his average. I mean, we lost the Collins/Bonzie matchup by 3 points - we scored enough that we could have survived anything but that. If there's any positive to take away from last night it could be that NBA scouts watched a 6'5" guy almost hang 30 on Collins... They played 33 and 36 minutes respectively, and Collins was lost all night on the screens and switches. I realize he had a double double, but 24 points on 20 shots vs. 27 points on 16 shots (and -4 in the block column)... I didn't see that coming.

Childress and Wilbekin could have made the difference off the bench since ND has no depth, but they chipped in for 0% shooting and zero field goals on 9 shots. Arians/Crawford/Woods/Dinos vs Beachem/Farrell/Vasturia/Fleuger was just -4 for us. We were supposed to have an advantage with depth and with Collins, but we were minus with them as well.

the ideal defense for notre dame would be switching every ball screen which requires multiple versatile defenders. we have the opposite of versatile defenders, half of our rotation can't stop lane penetration against their own position, much less other positions.

we'd try to help and recover, but notre dame is too good where if the help isn't immediate... boom 3, and if the help is actually there they punish anything other than perfect recovery by whipping the ball around until they find a great shot.

i think you have to roll with the defense you practice, man principles are getting pounded into their head every practice, it's tough enough to try to get a young team to adequately learn one defense. DM is a man defense coach and i agree it doesn't really fit our personnel, but some half assed zone that's rarely practiced is going to get shredded as well by an offensively proficient team.

+1000. I would rather see us just stick to man defense and possibly improve on it. The reality is we don't have very good or versatile defenders. I don't think putting us into a zone would do much better because then we would likely be pounded on the glass and still likely not a very good defensive team.

I hope that Brown is a solid defender. This team could badly use an LD Williams of some sorts.

This post pretty much nails it. When ND wasn't hitting their open shots they were hitting contested ones. After watching them brick open shot after open shot against other teams it's frustrating to see, but maybe that's just the kind of confidence we inspire in other teams since these outlier performances seem to keep finding us as the punching bag.

We pretty much knew Beachem and Vasturia were going to hurt us last night. We lost Farrell too many times... But man did Bonzie just torch us. 10/16 and 2/2 from deep? He averages .5 threes per game at 33%. He made 4 more buckets than his average. I mean, we lost the Collins/Bonzie matchup by 3 points - we scored enough that we could have survived anything but that. If there's any positive to take away from last night it could be that NBA scouts watched a 6'5" guy almost hang 30 on Collins... They played 33 and 36 minutes respectively, and Collins was lost all night on the screens and switches. I realize he had a double double, but 24 points on 20 shots vs. 27 points on 16 shots (and -4 in the block column)... I didn't see that coming.

Childress and Wilbekin could have made the difference off the bench since ND has no depth, but they chipped in for 0% shooting and zero field goals on 9 shots. Arians/Crawford/Woods/Dinos vs Beachem/Farrell/Vasturia/Fleuger was just -4 for us. We were supposed to have an advantage with depth and with Collins, but we were minus with them as well.

Most players have someone to help on D. Collins didn't Plus, he can't play as all out on D as others can as I'm sure Danny has told him to stay out of foul trouble. JC isn't going tobe covering any 6'5 guys in the NBA. Colson's output should have little or no impact on JC's draft status.

Back