• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2nd half defense

This post pretty much nails it. When ND wasn't hitting their open shots they were hitting contested ones. After watching them brick open shot after open shot against other teams it's frustrating to see, but maybe that's just the kind of confidence we inspire in other teams since these outlier performances seem to keep finding us as the punching bag.

We pretty much knew Beachem and Vasturia were going to hurt us last night. We lost Farrell too many times... But man did Bonzie just torch us. 10/16 and 2/2 from deep? He averages .5 threes per game at 33%. He made 4 more buckets than his average. I mean, we lost the Collins/Bonzie matchup by 3 points - we scored enough that we could have survived anything but that. If there's any positive to take away from last night it could be that NBA scouts watched a 6'5" guy almost hang 30 on Collins... They played 33 and 36 minutes respectively, and Collins was lost all night on the screens and switches. I realize he had a double double, but 24 points on 20 shots vs. 27 points on 16 shots (and -4 in the block column)... I didn't see that coming.

Childress and Wilbekin could have made the difference off the bench since ND has no depth, but they chipped in for 0% shooting and zero field goals on 9 shots. Arians/Crawford/Woods/Dinos vs Beachem/Farrell/Vasturia/Fleuger was just -4 for us. We were supposed to have an advantage with depth and with Collins, but we were minus with them as well.

Yeah I definitely did not think this was a possibility. Dude should definitely be 1st team ACC and maybe POY if ND finished strong, he absolutely had his way last night as was crafty as hell.

There's a reason he is 2nd on KenPom's ACC POY (behind Donovan Mitchell). Both are also in the top ten for KPOY (Collins is 3rd in ACC and has to be close to the top ten as well).

There's a reason he is 2nd on KenPom's ACC POY (behind Donovan Mitchell). Both are also in the top ten for KPOY (Collins is 3rd in ACC and has to be close to the top ten as well).

Yup. I know how well he has been playing this year, but after JC basically had his way with Lammers and got him in foul trouble, I thought he would be a handful for Colson. Granted he still put up big numbers but still "lost" the matchup.

Once ND went five-out around the perimeter we couldn't hang. Their size advantage at guard and quickness advantage on the wings negated our size advantage down low.

Once ND went five-out around the perimeter we couldn't hang. Their size advantage at guard and quickness advantage on the wings negated our size advantage down low.

Not to mention our hesitancy to switch everything, and when we did get around to it, not committing, or arriving late.

That scoring on possessions is a little distorted last night as from 1:45 to the end of the game -6 possessions- 4 of them were fouls to extend the game.

Yes, but from the 6 min mark to the 1 min mark they were 8 of 9, we fouled them three times in the last minute. Making 7 of 8 doesn't really change the fact that we are letting teams score every time down the floor at the end of games.

BTTT:

VT 62 pts
KSU 55 pts

Really, really pathetic defense. You'll never win tourney games pulling that garbage.

Back