• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2pm on the C-Dub vs. Syracuse

I don’t know why you’re missing the actual point I was making - we have a lot of needs and if a team like Liberty can push us around when we were arguably as good as we have ever been, it’s likely there are players out there that we would want on our team (and they’re probably at lower-tier programs and would jump to be at Wake). Roberts is a good example of this. He’s our best LB in a long time and he came from a FCS program. Same thing with Kobie Turner. All I’m suggesting is we need to turn it up a notch recruiting in the portal this offseason, because we are almost certainly going to lose some key players. I’d take Liberty’s OL from last year over our OL, wouldn’t you?
Kinda weird you’re so obsessed with Liberty players when you highlight so many other FCS schools in your post. Sure players from lower divisions can contribute in the ACC and we have been successful in identifying them.

Kinda weird you’re so obsessed with Liberty players when you highlight so many other FCS schools in your post. Sure players from lower divisions can contribute in the ACC and we have been successful in identifying them.
Not obsessed…just remember them pushing us around more than most of the other big name programs we faced. That’s it. You’re acting like there’s no truth in what I’m saying.

I don’t know why you’re missing the actual point I was making - we have a lot of needs and if a team like Liberty can push us around when we were arguably as good as we have ever been, it’s likely there are players out there that we would want on our team (and they’re probably at lower-tier programs and would jump to be at Wake). Roberts is a good example of this. He’s our best LB in a long time and he came from a FCS program. Same thing with Kobie Turner. All I’m suggesting is we need to turn it up a notch recruiting in the portal this offseason, because we are almost certainly going to lose some key players. I’d take Liberty’s OL from last year over our OL, wouldn’t you?
Turner is in the NFL and I think Robert’s might be there too, I’d take those “FCS” players any day of the week.

Turner is in the NFL and I think Robert’s might be there too, I’d take those “FCS” players any day of the week.
For sure - i think the q is why aren’t we finding these guys in the first place? Our HS crootin’ has been a little suspect of late.

For sure - i think the q is why aren’t we finding these guys in the first place? Our HS crootin’ has been a little suspect of late.
Got to think those type guys really developed in college. When you‘re talking about 17 year olds, they’re still growing and it’s hard to predict. Might be more important now identifying those guys in college now at the lower divisions that can be good ACC players.

I’m still confused why Clawson is saying that we can only take transfers who are graduate students or who have only completed their freshman year because of transfer credits to Wake. Forbes isn’t having that problem. I don’t think any transfer this year fit either of those criteria. All of that to say that it would be nice to get some of those guys for more than 1 year.

I’m still confused why Clawson is saying that we can only take transfers who are graduate students or who have only completed their freshman year because of transfer credits to Wake. Forbes isn’t having that problem. I don’t think any transfer this year fit either of those criteria.
I don‘t think it’s that we can’t, I think it’s because most kids don’t want to have earned 2 or 3 years of credits and then lose half of them when they transfer. Why Forbes is getting guys to agree to it, idk?

The issue is guys like Walker Merril who came from Tennessee and didn’t have a catch all season or the DT from Wellesley who didn’t have a tackle. If we are handing out money and scholarships, let’s get guys who will make an impact like at QB or Oline

The issue is guys like Walker Merril who came from Tennessee and didn’t have a catch all season or the DT from Wellesley who didn’t have a tackle. If we are handing out money and scholarships, let’s get guys who will make an impact like at QB or Oline
I heard we tried, just because we offer guys doesn’t mean they come. We needed help at DT, I imagine we offered several guys before we got to the guy from Wellesley. Need to figure how how to get them to come.

I heard we tried, just because we offer guys doesn’t mean they come. We needed help at DT, I imagine we offered several guys before we got to the guy from Wellesley. Need to figure how how to get them to come.
Can you give a little more information about who we tried to recruit? These guys are pretty open about who is offering them in order to drive up more demand and I don’t remember many linemen who talked about a wake offer

Yeah this was my impression. I just don’t think anyone wanted to come. And no offense to us but if I’m a frisky FCS guy wouldn’t you rather go to like South Carolina and get a taste of SEC action (even on a mid team) vs. coming to Wake and playing in front of 15k?

Can you give a little more information about who we tried to recruit? These guys are pretty open about who is offering them in order to drive up more demand and I don’t remember many linemen who talked about a wake offer
Just saying that’s what I’ve heard, don’t know names or anything. Others have stated the same thing.

Just saying that’s what I’ve heard, don’t know names or anything. Others have stated the same thing.
We will see what happens this year. The graduate tackle from Yale has already shown about 20 offers, none of which were from Wake. If anything I thought our Dline and Recieving corp were in a decent enough position this season, so maybe there is an internal talent evaluation issue going on as well.

We will see what happens this year. The graduate tackle from Yale has already shown about 20 offers, none of which were from Wake. If anything I thought our Dline and Recieving corp were in a decent enough position this season, so maybe there is an internal talent evaluation issue going on as well.
Agree, but it sounds like OL is almost impossible to get in portal. Was surprised we took the WR (and surprised he wanted to come here given our depth). But as said above we’re missing on too many HS dudes which is forcing us to hit the portal.

Receivers maybe, but DT was a huge concern coming in. Pointer was unproven coming into the season. I think getting at least one DT in the portal was probably priority 1.

How many of these guys may we lose by them declaring for the draft? I’ve always thought there’s a decent chance Mustapha may go to the league after this season.
I have no idea, but I’d think Mustapha is going to be heavily recruited if he enters the portal (which my guess is he will…same for Davis, unfortunately).

Receivers maybe, but DT was a huge concern coming in. Pointer was unproven coming into the season. I think getting at least one DT in the portal was probably priority 1.
Yes and we got the guy from Villanova as well who started part of the season. Pointer really did ball out this year, which is why I brought up the internal evaluation process. After last season the staff said we were set at QB and needed serious help at DT, when in actuality it was closer to the reverse. I wish the staff was more open about what they are seeing and what they are interested in going after.

3075cbb8daac20035ece993df4198d1a.gif

Back